Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #12,946 of 24,690
I haven't read enough sci-fi - I feel like there's a whole lot out there that I'd really enjoy. I'm stuck with second language acquisition methodology/linguistics textbooks until June.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #12,947 of 24,690
Quote:
I haven't read enough sci-fi - I feel like there's a whole lot out there that I'd really enjoy.

I too feel the same way.
Still, I'd like to see the Foundation novels made into a movie. I wonder why no one has come up with the idea? Psychohistory can be an interesting topic.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #12,948 of 24,690
Josh and S.A.M. - 9/10 (1993)

Had this VHS tape for about forever and always loved this movie when I was a kid. Think i've seen in about a dozen or more times.
I watched it for the first time last night in maybe 15 years and still liked it. It's pretty funny too.

It's about two brothers that run away from home after their mother is going to be leaving them for an entire year to live with her boyfriend.
Josh makes up this story that his brother is a "Strategically Altered Mutant" and part of a secret CIA project.

Pretty good acting from everyone, decent script and soundtrack from Thomas Newman. There is some cheesy dialogue during the last part, but no big deal.
Cinematographer is also Don Burgress who also worked on Forrest Gump and Cast Away.

One of those family movies that even older people could like.

I'm 33 now and first saw this when I was 13.

Unfortunately the studio didn't think it was worthy of getting a DVD release. It cost 18 million to make and only got 1.8 mil at the box office!

Oh yeah..can't forget the Ebert review where he gave it a 1.5/4. Of course he also did that for "Napolean Dynamite" which he didn't "get"
Just one man's opinion really..

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #12,949 of 24,690
Quote:

Oh yeah..can't forget the Ebert review where he gave it a 1.5/4. Of course he also did that for "Napolean Dynamite" which he didn't "get"
Just one man's opinion really..

I didn't get it either.....

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #12,952 of 24,690
Quote:
Lol don't read the description! Just watch!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I liked it so.....not a Serbian film; don't ever watch that.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #12,954 of 24,690
Quote:
Sounds like a great reason to watch it again! 

I tried a couple more times, and I never could make it even halfway through.....I just didn't find it funny at all.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #12,958 of 24,690
Quote:
Oh gawd... Unfortunately it's too late for me. My friends recommend me weird stuff.

yeah, I watched it...no that movie is not to reflect the economic state of Serbia; its a legal snuff film and I'm still shocked its legal. DeadGirl is one thing but A Serbian film is en entirely different beast. I would say I'm a pretty hard person to offend, that movie didn't just offend me it truly shocked me in the worst way you can imagine.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #12,959 of 24,690
California Solo (2012) 8/10
You may recognize the craggy main character,Robert Carlyle, from Trainspotting.
Don't look if you expect even a flicker of action because there is none.
I rated this personal drama higher than most because it has identifiable elements that hit home.
Guilt,abandonment,desperation all blended with alcohol give our character a liveliness not found in the other performances.
If you're reading this Focker,it is a film I believe you would enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back