Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #9,616 of 24,686
I believe it was a third boy. Either some friend or another family member. The boy with the odd hair I suspect is the one that drowned?

I have a gold fish memory at times it´s really scary though but I think that was what I thought then. Now it´s a bit blurry lol.
Quote:
The Tree of Life - 8/10
Very visually powerful. It was confusing for me figuring out which son actually died. I thought the creation of the universe stuff was sort of stupid but at least it helps the movie stand out and makes for some awesome special effects.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #9,617 of 24,686
I thought it was the younger brother that played guitar.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #9,618 of 24,686
Just saw "Underworld: Awakening" in 3-D since it was only available in that format at the theater.  Despite how good Kate looks in a skin tight suit, the movie as a whole gets a 6/10.  The story line was a little weak and a poorly pieced together with an open ending that guarantees a sequel more corny than its predecessor. 

Also, the premium for 3-D films is just ridiculous.  There was hardly any shot that was worth 3-D.  It seem the trend now a days for movie production is to make every movie into 3-D just for the hell of it and get the extra worthless premium at the ticket counter.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #9,619 of 24,686
Wow, another Underworld. I have been a fan of the series, going to check it out. Nothing better than an Underworld film fest.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9,621 of 24,686

Quote:
The Perfect Host - 8/10 (maybe a 7.5)

I'm a big David Hyde Pierce fan, so when I saw this on Netflix I had to watch it. Not at all what I expected. It's a fairly decent Thriller with some very strange twists throughout. I suppose I'd recommend it. It's rated R, but I'd say that's for the small chunks of bad language and a few gory images. You think it'll turn out as a pretty dark film in the beginning, but I found it pretty light hearted by the end. 

That was a great movie.  Definitely worth taking the time to watch. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #9,624 of 24,686
I also really liked Another Earth.  When you say another, are you referring to Monsters?  Was that other sci-fi about the guy who turns into an alien also low-budget?  Can't remember the name. 

I think WA is just jealous of Brad Pitts sexy jaw line?

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #9,625 of 24,686
Lbs. - 8/10

I'm giving it extra star after reading how it was made.  The main character wrote the script about himself partly in an attempt to loose weight.  Which I find fascinating and really beautiful.  The idea that you could make a movie and a character inorder to help you change, take on traits of the character you are creating partly by the act of writing it, but then also by becoming that person by acting the role in the film.  And the incredible vulnerability displayed in that process.  One of the coolest things I've seen in a while.  It was also a pretty good movie.  Well acted, at least by the main character.  Camera wasn't the best and it looked like video not film.  But it was well done with what I thought were fairly interesting compositions, shot sequences, and storytelling- pretty direct, simple, close to documentary style.  Until the ending, which could have been a good ending but needed to be worked out a lot more.  That's all I'll say about that...

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #9,626 of 24,686

Quote:
I also really liked Another Earth.  When you say another, are you referring to Monsters?  Was that other sci-fi about the guy who turns into an alien also low-budget?  Can't remember the name. 

I think WA is just jealous of Brad Pitts sexy jaw line?

No, when I said, "another", I meant, along with my previous post - the Norwegian film, A Bothersome Man (also low-key sci-fi).  No idea what you're on about the the monsters and aliens, but there are some really good sci-fi flicks out there done on very low budgets that manage to suck you in based on story and acting, rather than makeup and special effects.  Some that come to mind:

Moon (outstanding performance by Sam Rockwell and great soundtrack) 8/10
Dark City (OK, this had a pretty big budget but nothing like Jurasic Park, but has seemed to remain more of an underground classic - great story) 9/10
Northfork (Polish Brothers sleeper - did not gross much at all and came and went quietly - not great, but worth a watch) 8/10
Brazil (also classic) 9/10
The Pointsman (good luck finding this 1986 Dutch film - very very slow and quiet - very few words of spoken dialogue.  Beautifully filmed and visually poetic. Not really sci-fi but it comes to mind for a similar sense of other-world, bizarre reality that bears some similarity to films like Northfork and Brazil but much more isolated and quiet and a bit humorous as well) 8/10
City of Lost Children - Just stunning - one of my all-time favorites as far as sci-fi - a visual wonder - this film rates a 10/10 on my scale.
Blade Runner (classic, of course - not low budget, but shot for chump-change by today's standards) 9/10

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #9,627 of 24,686
Death Race 2

Looks like it cost about a 5th of the original remake. The original remake played at box office, this one straight to DVD. I would say it is about 1/10th as good. Great idea and I bet it made money for them. I figure I would not see Death Race 3 if it came out though. It does have an unmistakeable Roger Corman feel which is hart warming at times. Still it gets a 4 out of 10. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #9,628 of 24,686
The Thing 2011 - It didn't suck. Mary Winstead was cute, and the acting and characters were as expected for a popcorn thriller. A bit too short though, killing what little suspense and build-up there is.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #9,629 of 24,686
"Smoking Aces" 7/10.  Great story and funny in all the right places.  I'm was pleasantly surprised to see Affleck go out early in the film and what came after he got smoked was funny as hell. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #9,630 of 24,686
Thank You For Smoking, 9/10

Just saw it again and still great. Its black humor reminds me of another favorite, There Will Be Blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back