Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #8,956 of 24,668
Love The Fountain, one of my all-time favorite movies. Hate Lost, can't sit through a minute of it. Different strokes 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #8,957 of 24,668
Since so many people seem to be discussing it, thought I'd offer up my thoughts on the Fountain.

I'll say off the bat that from a cinematic perspective, the Fountain is an extremely well-made film.  Aronofsky is easily one of the most talented directors in my opinion in recent years.  All of his films are well constructed as far as his understanding of the cinematic language (mise en scene, editing, visual motifs, etc...).  And especially as far as the Fountain goes, its probably one of the most beautiful films I have seen in the last ten years or so.

That said, I think the main reason why a lot of people ended up hating the Fountain is due more to what the film attempted to communicate and the means in which he chose to do so.  He draws on all of these references from Judaism, Buddhism, Mayan culture, neuroscience, etc. that as viewers, we expect to be presented with something damn well insightful especially when Aronofsky himself was sort of advertising the fact that the film was "heavily researched".  In the end thematically we come away with little more then what one could take away from some generic Hollywood melodrama.

My own opinion then is sort of divided.  From a technical standpoint, I love the film, but overall I can't help facepalming and feeling the film was utterly pointless.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8,958 of 24,668

Quote:

My own opinion then is sort of divided.  From a technical standpoint, I love the film, but overall I can't help facepalming and feeling the film was utterly pointless.

Lol, for most people it's love it or hate it but you've managed to do both 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #8,961 of 24,668
I know! It looks like the World War 2 version of Flyboys, but better. For the sum of its faults, I rather liked Flyboys so I'm expecting Red Tails to give me my money's worth!

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #8,962 of 24,668
Quote:
I know! It looks like the World War 2 version of Flyboys, but better. For the sum of its faults, I rather liked Flyboys so I'm expecting Red Tails to give me my money's worth!

Ive heard and seen parts of than, but im watching it now and it looks not as good as Red Tails, but similar in plot.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #8,963 of 24,668
Coldfish 8/10.  I think director Shion Sono was a serial killer in his former life.   If you like this film, you'll love films by Korean director Chan-wook Park (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance).

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8,964 of 24,668

Quote:
Coldfish 8/10.  I think director Shion Sono was a serial killer in his former life.   If you like this film, you'll love films by Korean director Chan-wook Park (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance).

I checked that out the other day. Messed up movie based on a true happening? Lol!. Very messed up movie but in a good way. I couldn't stop watching it.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #8,965 of 24,668

Quote:

I feel differently.  Despite all the intellectual and cinematic exercises, which were excellent, I thought the theme was beautiful and more profound than any common romantic melodrama.  That our efforts to struggle for and protect that we which we love most in life causes us to often miss out on the sheer joy and experience of that love.  When Jackman finally realizes it it's too late but in the end he finds peace and understanding through the process and becomes resigned to a final contentment that he will be one with his great love when the end comes.  This is the great tragedy and irony of many human passions.  Imagine listening to headphones and completely missing out on the music.  I know nobody hear can relate.  ;P

Just my take, many Ph.D discertations have been written on the movie so there's plenty of interpretations out there.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #8,966 of 24,668
Well written and does sum up some of the same emotions stirred up in me by the Fountain.  What a film.

On to the next one: I saw this a while ago but wanted to give it a rating.

The Messenger: 7/10

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8,967 of 24,668

Quote:
EVERYONE WATCH THIS!

This movie i cant wait to watch!

Beautiful planes to be molested by standup comedians. Dunno sceptical but maybe it´s great on mute :)

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #8,968 of 24,668
You guys know that South Korea makes more than horror films right?
biggrin.gif

South Korea makes some of the best movies in the world.

Here's a few for you that are some of my favorites:

Peppermint Candy - directed by Lee Chang-dong who also directed "Poetry".
Poetry is a very, very good movie, but painfully sad. I haven't had such a movie effect me like that within 10 minutes of leaving the movie theater.
He also has made the movie "Oasis", which is touch to watch at times. Movies like these are why Sol Kyung-gu is a favorite actor.
Trailer for Peppermint Candy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vj75LL2q-g

My Heart - Bae Changho
Loved this movie, but it's getting hard to find. Stupid name.

Christmas in August

My Sassy Girl (took a long time for me to get into it)

Sorum - Here's a horror movie for you, but without any graphic blood/guts. Check it out. Got stuck in my head days after viewing it.
trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ_iLP20QSA

Nabi the Butterfly
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfOlfYE3K8
Low budget movie from a director who went to film school in Poland!! I still have my original boxed set with a piece of film included.

Public Enemy - another very good Sol Kyung-gu movie.

Silmido

Save the Green Planet (had problems enjoying this movie)

Taegukgi

Welcome to Dongmakgol

Oh and I loved "The Host". Get the Blu-Ray!

Love South Korea movies. Most of their older films have some of the best cinemgraphy there is. Lots of good art films in South Korea.

Wow..stupid. Here the whole time I was thinking "Cold Fish" was South Korean, but is Japanese. Oh well. You can have that list for reference anyway
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW one of my favorite Japanese movies is Shunji Iwaii's "Swallowtail Butterfly" starring the singer named Chara. It's a Japanese film where probably 3-4 languages are spoken in it! Never seen that before!
50% of it is also in english!

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #8,969 of 24,668
I'd say Peppermint Candy is mandatory viewing for anyone interested in Korean cinema.  Lee Chang Dong's Oasis is also equally must-watch imo.

Have you seen Shunji Iwai's Love Letter?  Its not only my favorite Iwai film, its one of my favorite films of all time.  Can't really say why.  Its not an amazing film by any means but something about it just clicked with me personally.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #8,970 of 24,668
Animal Crackers - 8/10 (Marx Brothers)

Love Marx Brothers movies and can't get enough of their movies. This one has the usual weirdness and the Groucho Marx humor I sometimes can't make any sense of. I think in this movie the best scenes were any of those with Chico Marx in them.
I have two of their boxed sets and they're worth every penny. The best one is the TCM 3 movie set. I found it at a local store for $5.99!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back