Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 7, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #5,356 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. And what a dark, uncomfortable, yet masterpiece of a movie. The thing that really amazes me, upon second and third viewing, is how perfectly paced the score is in its climax toward the end of the film. The music is so grating, and discordant, and continues to escalate in rhythm along with the events toward the end of the film. Brilliant stuff.

Supposedly Aronofsky structured it that way intentionally, with each scene having a progressively shorter length, so that a kind of momentum and propulsion was created as it went along that lent that air of urgency, hopeless inevitability, and feeling of being out of control to the film. The editing creates an almost physiologic or neurological response that helps create that intensity. Pretty effectively, too - it's easily the most harrowing film I've ever seen.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #5,357 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Supposedly Aronofsky structured it that way intentionally, with each scene having a progressively shorter length, so that a kind of momentum and propulsion was created as it went along that lent that air of urgency, hopeless inevitability, and feeling of being out of control to the film. The editing creates an almost physiologic or neurological response that helps create that intensity. Pretty effectively, too - it's easily the most harrowing film I've ever seen.

I can totally tell it was intentional. And he's a genius to have controlled all those elements so powerfully. It also creates a sense of downward spiral- or whirpool effect- with how everything gets quicker and more tightly spaced. At least that's what the score, pacing, and scene length all made me feel like. It was almost as if I was riding the downhill train with the characters...

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #5,359 of 24,690
Just downloaded and watched Rocky IV earlier today.

A classic masterpiece. 10/10

I once had an ex-gf ask me why Rocky never blocks and takes every punch. Because he's ******** Rocky! He's like if an 'infinite life cheat code' had a child with a 'create a character'. Unless you want to lose, all roads point to Rocky. It's science!

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #5,361 of 24,690
An Education 7/10.

Kind of a vehicle for the lead actress, and downright creepy at times with the age thing, still it had some interesting moments and raised some worthwhile questions. The father was pure overblown caricature and overall the plot was almost completely implausible, but something about it does stay with you, so I guess it's worth seeing for its strong points.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #5,362 of 24,690
Ichi the Killer

5/10

This one left me perplexed. On one hand, I'm not usually a fan of gory movies. On the other, I'm willing to tolerate gore if I find the artistic statement the movie makes interesting. Like many Japanese movies, I couldn't help but wonder what was lost in translation. True to form, the ending was rather cryptic. The movie excelled most in its character creation. Ichi was certainly one of the strangest characters I've ever seen in a movie.

All in all, it was worth seeing- but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Definitely not a date movie unless you have a really twisted relationship. Probably one of the most violent movies ever.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5,363 of 24,690
Doubt - 9/10

Excellent drama about suspicions run rampant at a Catholic school in the '60s. it's like a case study in storytelling, cinematography and superb acting, which must be why all four of the stars (Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis) were nominated for Academy Awards last year.

The Hurt Locker - 10/10

If this war film about an Army bomb squad in Iraq has any flaws, I certainly couldn't find them. You spend the whole thing as on edge as the soldiers are.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #5,367 of 24,690
District 9 9/10 The storyline, acting, and special affects are all top flight. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back