Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 13, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #4,892 of 24,677
Rian Johnson director of The Brothers Bloom has a great film in him, that is if one doesn't consider his greatest-to-date Brick a great film. TBB began so fresh and visually inventive that my hopes were seriously raised. Unfortunately the film bogged down in the second act and never recovered; too cute for its own good. Oh that first act though. 5/10

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #4,894 of 24,677
I partook of a little 2012 today. 1/10 After I vowed that will be the last time I ever spend money for a first run Emmerich. Maybe it is unfortunate for the movie, that I viewed The Hurt Locker recently; an action movie that doesn't treat the viewer like an idiot, where the dread is earned, not splattered across the canvas with the assumption that we'll assume it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #4,895 of 24,677
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Three Colors: Red" - 8/10

Not as strong as "Blue", but still a fine piece of film-craft dealing with some of life's big issues.

I'm so used to seeing it "Trois Couleurs: Rouge" that I nearly glossed over your post.

I do agree that "Blue" is the better film, perhaps because I saw it first, but more likely because of its sheer emotional beauty. Though, I found "Red" a great end to Kieslowski's trilogy. I'd rate them 9.5/10 and 9.0/10, respectively ("White" is down in the upper 7s or low 8s).

Speaking of Kieslowski, I really need to queue up the rest of the "Decalogue" on netflix...

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #4,896 of 24,677
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I partook of a little 2012 today. 1/10 After I vowed that will be the last time I ever spend money for a first run Emmerich. Maybe it is unfortunate for the movie, that I viewed The Hurt Locker recently; an action movie that doesn't treat the viewer like an idiot, where the dread is earned, not splattered across the canvas with the assumption that we'll assume it.

If you leave your brain at home it´s not even entertaining then? Are you saying Emmerich is even worse then Michael Bay
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #4,897 of 24,677
i am just starting to work my way through the 'ten commandments' now!

pontypool - 6.9/10

Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Kieslowski, I really need to queue up the rest of the "Decalogue" on netflix...

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #4,898 of 24,677
Terminator Salvation: 7/10

Just when I thought Arnold was out of the picture, there he is!! Overall, not a bad movie. I like it better than Terminator 3 for sure.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #4,899 of 24,677
Assassination of a High School President 7.3/10 - Fans of Brick and Heathers should see this immediately. A whole lot of fun it was.

Hunger - 5.9/10 First time director Steve McQueen. The story of IRA member Bobby Sands. Very heavy subject matter. The film looks nice but lacks interest aside from the true story behind the events.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #4,901 of 24,677
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you leave your brain at home it´s not even entertaining then? Are you saying Emmerich is even worse then Michael Bay
tongue.gif

To the first, I can't speak for you. Check it out and tell us what you think. For the second, I never mentioned Bay, but since you ask, yes.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #4,902 of 24,677
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so used to seeing it "Trois Couleurs: Rouge" that I nearly glossed over your post.

Kieslowski sure transferred nicely to the higher Studio Canal's production values. He can pick my actresses for me any day, whether in Poland or in France. "Trois Couleurs", of course, relates to the three colors of the French flag and the values/virtues they represent: liberty, equality, fraternity. I'm still waiting for "White" at my local library.

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #4,903 of 24,677
Transformers: Rise of the Fallen - 6/10. It has some good special effects. The most memorable scenes were the ones with the mom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back