Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 29, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #22,576 of 24,655
funny you should mention this as i saw the original silent movie with peter lorre recently-i enjoyed it-i also need to check out some charlie chaplin stuff

B22E2894-8F48-42E0-B6CD-1CE942109FEF.jpeg

He did do silents, but this was his first sound film?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #22,580 of 24,655
After Parasite, this becomes another great dark comedy.

9-10
30E9C9C0-1E2F-458A-8C72-D380F0BF96C9.jpeg

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #22,581 of 24,655

While this is only my third Fellini movie, I guess it to be deeper in autobiographical context than noted on the surface? Having just seen Juliet Of The Spirits before; here the male main-character goes through the film in various stages of living life and self exploration. Where “Juliet Of The Spirits” concerns Fellini’s Wife; here we have his pre-married self, possibly?

We have a fable of morality or a tale of a man in contact with the times? Either way the movie can be seen on the genius of camera movement alone. Never have I seen such music in panning and frame composition.

The script is loose and chaotic though there could be a cohesive theme told in such a way that’s it’s a good warning. The contrast of late night partying and Catholic themes just adds to the morality maybe underneath?

Be prepared for a well made but long (180 minute) experience, opening like a riddle and still closing just as abstract. 10/10

48E95A6B-A52E-4905-B8AD-DE1A4FAE2A19.jpeg

Shockingly “Nico” the counterculture singer shows up. Having never seen here in a movie and never heard her talk, it was quite the experience to see. Somehow she plays herself fitting right in to the nightlife without visibly acting she is so good.

Edit:
After some research it turns out this is the pivotal film of Fellini’s career. Not only was there a high profile affair between him and the star “Exberg” ....but it seems this movie made him what he was to become. The movie was instrumental for Italian fashion as well as a profound statement about the Italian culture and city of Rome.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #22,584 of 24,655
After Parasite, this becomes another great dark comedy.

9-1030E9C9C0-1E2F-458A-8C72-D380F0BF96C9.jpeg
funny story about this-watched it and turned it off after 5 mins saying to myself rubbish-i then saw your review and thought can this compare to the mighty parasite.i rewatched and really enjoyed it as it had a few nice twists.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #22,586 of 24,655

MY FAVE sketch from the movie-not bothered and so laid back and nonchalant -thats how i try and live my life lol

I try to do the same. However, after seeing my apartment blow up, and waking in a rubble, I tend to get a little cranky. Plus, it's the morning. :joy:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #22,587 of 24,655
funny story about this-watched it and turned it off after 5 mins saying to myself rubbish-i then saw your review and thought can this compare to the mighty parasite.i rewatched and really enjoyed it as it had a few nice twists.

I only used Parasite as an example of a superior “Dark Comedy” which The Hunt is also. And like The Killing Of A Sacred Deer; they can start off seemingly bad if you didn’t get that it’s all just a joke. Laughably “The Hunt” is actually good for multiple viewings too, strangely enough? Seen it three times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_of_a_Sacred_Deer

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #22,590 of 24,655
51E82DC0-8C39-409A-B1C4-C02D0719CC0C.jpeg

Once again Fellini is highly autobiographical, yet to such a profound degree, also imaginative. The imagination is Fellini’s own and his personal dream-parts in the story reveal his actual soul.........wild-delusions and all.

Unpredictable, dishonest, high ego, charming, full of charisma; call Fellini what you want as he becomes the center of his own world and honest to a fault. Though as the film progresses it becomes even more autobiographical of itself as well as it’s maker. The delusional aspects become grander, and our own suspected reality of him true.

Technically it’s also a cathartic diary in the difficulty of making films/being a filmmaker......as well as the art of balancing Catholic and social pressures.

It’s such a personal diary that in parts your convinced the story came from reality, yet placed upon an area only expressed through film. The genius is the execution of it all, and the fact that it will never be done again to this extent. 10/10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back