Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #21,709 of 24,643
5/10, you're hard. the movie finally answers one of humankind's trickiest question: "do you like fishsticks?"

I like del Toro's visuals. He has a really good eye for that kind of aesthetic. Music was decent as well.

I just felt the movie was a bit much with the political overtones. A disabled main character, her best friends a closeted old gay man and a fat black lady, and a sympathetic communist spy helping them all out to save this fishboi. Michael Shannon does a great job playing a psychopathic violent consumerist materialistic sexual pervert man who only aims to destroy and get ahead.

I will say, mostly good performances all around. Sally Hawkins was the highlight (she really liked the fishsticks), and Michael Shannon is always a joy to watch. Dialogue wasn't great at times. What kind of US Army General responds to a scientist by pointing to the stars on his shoulders as a show of authority? I get that it's a halfway fantasy film, but come on, a little more nuance please. I'm not saying all military commanders need to be like Major Garland Briggs, but a nice middle ground would be cool.

As happens nearly every single year, the best picture winner at the Oscars lands on a resounding "ehh, it was ok".

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #21,710 of 24,643
well they did align all the stereotypes to win awards. it's Moonlight2 in a different part of town. ^_^
I agree with "it was ok". everything fell a little short of being real good I thought.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #21,711 of 24,643
Having a best picture winner actually being really good is a very rare thing.

No Country for Old Men (2007)
Unforgiven (1992)
Amadeus (1984)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Godfather (1972)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #21,712 of 24,643
Well if 50's stereotyping was to be considered Iron Giant should have won years ago. It covered the tropes much better and with more elan than Shape of Water:)

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #21,713 of 24,643
Well if 50's stereotyping was to be considered Iron Giant should have won years ago. It covered the tropes much better and with more elan than Shape of Water:)
ahahah.
we need Omar Little the movie.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #21,715 of 24,643
I'll mainly stay out of The Shape of Water debate - preferred it to most of ya'll on here apparently. Get what you're saying, I do, but...
I personally preferred it to Pan's Labyrinth, which I always felt was a little on the nose with its political subtext and rather lightweight in terms of fantasy elements. You pays your money you takes your choice I guess.

Mar 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #21,716 of 24,643
Bergman double bill!

The Touch : 6/10

Maybe the closest to straight up romantic drama from Bergman that I've seen to date. The Touch is the dissection of an affair; a three-hander in which Bibi Andersson plays Karin, the frustrated wife of doctor Andreas Vergerus (Max Von Sydow). Andreas is a loving husband and father, but Karin craves excitement and a different kind of attention. When she meets American archaeologist David at the invitation of her husband, he rashly declares that he fell in love with her the first time he saw her (crying over her recently deceased mother in a hospital room!) and she willingly embarks down a path of intrigue and infatuation.

This was Bergman's only English language film and the closest he came to being lured by Hollywood. It's far from Hollywood in style though; the muted Eastmancolor palette and low-key, but precise mise en scène giving it a distinctly European art house flavour. Though the film is told entirely from Karin's perspective, Elliott Gould is probably the main draw (despite being a bit of a fish out of water) - his portrayal of the immature, narcissistic David is compelling: he's prone to snap and a lot of the enjoyment of his performance is not knowing what fierce mood is going to strike next. He's not a sympathetic character though and despite her charm, Karin is also frustratingly self-centred and irresponsible, hurting all those around her, including her own children, just to satisfy her own desires.

The three characters, especially David and Karin, do outstay their welcome in what begins to seem like an over-long film towards the end. David's final appearance feels unnecessary (oh, here we go again) and it's almost as if Bergman has had enough of his characters too by this point. The last scene almost cuts mid-sentence and it's as if Bergman just went 'ah, **** it' and told everyone to down tools and call it a wrap. Maybe that's the point though - that there are no nice neat endings in real life, as dysfunctional relationships are invariably sustained past the point of no return.

Hour of the Wolf : 9/10

If The Touch was the closest Bergman came to making a soap opera, Hour of the Wolf perhaps represents his one real foray into horror. There are undeniably many elements of the genre at play here, but it would be reductive to simply reel off tropes. I'd been expecting maximum darkness, knowing it was about a man's mental breakdown and journey into insanity, but I wasn't prepared for just how weird this film was! From the moment a mysterious old woman appears to Alma Borg outside their island hut to tell her about her husband's diary, in a satchel under their bed, you know something very strange is beginning to happen. It's not just what she says, but the ways she says it; her words half drowned by the roar of ocean. You get the feeling the ground is opening up beneath your feet... and this rabbit hole goes deep. From this point on, reality and fantasy and different characters' individual perceptions merge in a fluid, dreamlike, surreal stream of consciousness. You could strive to read it as a linear narrative of mental collapse but I don't think that would do it justice. It's a film that appeals to the senses as much as the intellect. It didn't surprise me at all to read that this is one of David Lynch's favourite films - it's not hard to see how it's influenced him; not just in the way it's driven by a dream logic, but also in the characters that inhabit the nightmare. All the peripheral characters, who may or may not be just figments of Johan's damaged psyche, are all off in a big way. The first dinner appointment at Baron von Merkens's castle reminded me of nothing so much as the party scene from Lost Highway. The incredibly strange and aloof Baron is surrounded with a menagerie of even stranger friends.

Despite its overt weirdness though, I didn't find this as emotionally draining as some Bergman films I've seen like Autumn Sonata, say; an emotional maelstrom that leaves you on the floor. Because of its dreamlike quality, this is a different kind of experience altogether. It's a film that transports you to another place, but also maybe one that reflects on the art of story-telling as much as the particular story it has to tell. The opening credits, with sound of scenery being shifted, actors directed, cameras primed to roll, foregrounds the artifice of the process; the formidable impresario, Lindhorst, directing his miniature people on a tiny set, is Bergman's alter ego. There's also something strange about the way Alma bookends the film, looking directly into the camera. It's tempting to take her story at face value, because she seems so sincere, but the clues are there all along that she may be the most unreliable of narrators. Who, if anyone, is telling the truth in this? Does it really matter? There's a suggestion that it wasn't just Johan who lost his mind but that they both went mad together, in that darkest hour before dawn.

As well as having dramatic scenes that will stay with me for a long time - the baron walking the walls, the flurry of wings in a gloomy corridor, the killing of the boy, real or imagined, following Johan into the forest - Sven Nykvist's black and white cinematography is beautiful. The precise chiaroscuro lighting, and steady camera work invites you into a world of dark ethereal wonder, the spirit of the Gothic writ large. Enigmatic, weird and wonderful; I have a feeling that much like Lynch's most Delphic offerings, this one is going to richly reward repeat viewings, even if it never fully gives up its mystery.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #21,719 of 24,643
However lukewarm you think the latest sequels are - and I agree they're riding an endless nostalgia wave - wishing for Lucas to re-take the reigns seems like a step too far. The prequels were nothing short of godawful, especially the first two.
Well, I was pretty open about the new triliogy until the TLJ. TLJ just reduced the triliogy lower than the prequels. The prequels had different visuals, and the postquels mimicked the original trilogy that the fans of the original trilogy had affinity to. If George was in charge of the postquels with similar visuals, I think he would have done better than the state it's at now. How much worse can George do in terms of the state that the characters are in now? The way original characters were killed off, etc.., there's too much that original trilogy fans would poke at.

I think due to how the prequels turned out, people lost trust in George, and had hope that perhaps a different creator can do new movies justice. After witnessing how the story and characterizations can take the wrong path, I now see the value in the original creator.

JJ Abrams merely left the story open for the next film to fill it with substance, and TLJ failed to do that, and the feminist crap that Kennedy has biased the film to... Oh lord.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #21,720 of 24,643
Well, I was pretty open about the new triliogy until the TLJ. TLJ just reduced the triliogy lower than the prequels. The prequels had different visuals, and the postquels mimicked the original trilogy that the fans of the original trilogy had affinity to. If George was in charge of the postquels with similar visuals, I think he would have done better than the state it's at now. How much worse can George do in terms of the state that the characters are in now? The way original characters were killed off, etc.., there's too much that original trilogy fans would poke at.

I think due to how the prequels turned out, people lost trust in George, and had hope that perhaps a different creator can do new movies justice. After witnessing how the story and characterizations can take the wrong path, I now see the value in the original creator.

JJ Abrams merely left the story open for the next film to fill it with substance, and TLJ failed to do that, and the feminist crap that Kennedy has biased the film to... Oh lord.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that! If George was in charge now, these films would never have got out the door - he'd be too busy tweaking the hell out of a minor CGI critter in the background of some incidental swamp. People rightly lost trust in his direction. Instead of making a film and moving on to the next project like most filmmakers do, he spent the majority of his career faffing about in the edit suite, making progressively worse jobs of films people loved in their original form. I only hope the original theatricals do see the light of day on blu ray at some point, instead of having to rely on fan edits like Harmy's Despecialized editions.

It wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with the majority opinion on this board :D I get where you're coming from, I just don't feel the same way. For the record, I am an original trilogy fan - I grew up watching them, around the time they were actually out in the cinema (Jedi, anyway - went to see that a couple of times in the cinema as a kid) and loved them all; still do. I need to re-watch all the new ones to give them an honest reappraisal and I'm sure I'll see the flaws a lot more clearly second time round but my gut feeling is that I'll still enjoy all three more than any of the prequels; massive fanservice, PC overkill and lack of originality fully acknowledged. I'd still take 'em over The Bantam Menace and Attack of the Clowns in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back