Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #21,242 of 24,654
I tried Man on the moon. you guys agreed on it, Milos Forman, Carrey, 7euro, not really a risky move. ^_^
I didn't watch a trailer, didn't read about the story, it was total discovery, including that it's about a real guy. that part hit me at the first "thank you very much". which for many of you must have been a very very obvious cue, even more than his name. but for a French dude, it's already surprising that I would know about the Taxi TV show, and even more lucky to have watched it in English to recognize what it was. I'm fairly confident that none of my immediate friends and family knows about that TV show.
anyway, special subject, special movie, too special to be IMO with the bests work of Milos, but I loved it. one only needs to look at my nickname to get that out of phase humor is for me(and that might be a deal breaker for many people, IDK), the movie is well done and serving the act. Carrey is pretty incredible IMO. I give it a solid 9/10.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #21,243 of 24,654
Baby Driver: 9/10

Nearly perfect rendition of a modern-day Romeo and Juliet. I'm still jiving to the rhythm of the movie score and syncopation of the sounds in the movie. At times, it seems a bit spastic. Yet, it manages to combine all of those quirks into a compelling movie. It's almost as clever as a Tarantino flick, but much more accessible to the average viewer. The score fits the modern-classic feel of the movie. It's strange to see flashes of modern equipment next to early 'aughts devices. It's a throwback, but firmly placed in the present. Yet, it manages to combine all of those elements into such a fine blend; all the best of Tarantino, the best of heist movies (Gone in 60 Seconds comes to mind), the best of Shakespeare -- and it manages to do that without a hint of irony; yet at times it tries a bit too hard to let you be aware of its influences. It could be annoying to some viewers that it needs to announce its influences, but at the same it fits one of the themes of the movie; samples and self-referentiality. Is there anything original, groundbreaking, or particularly unique about this movie? Nope -- but in today's world of "if you've thought of it, it's probably been done already" culture (which, to some extent, is true) it's exactly a mirror of the current culture. It's truly a cultural watershed of this exact moment of time. Will it stun viewers in the future, or will it cause a wave of groans? Only the future knows...

For all practical purposes, Baby Driver is so good, that I watched it twice in 24 hours... and paged through the credits to grab song titles to listen to after the movie. That hasn't happened in a long time -- probably one of the first times that happened is with my first Tarantino flick...

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #21,245 of 24,654
Sanshiro Sugata is a 1943 film by Akira Kurosawa about a young man who joins a Ju-jitsu school just as they are planning a late night ambush of the Sensei of a rival Judo school. They invite him along so he might "learn something" but you can tell he's not too keen on the idea.

He is so taken by the Judo Master's Zanshin, and the fact he tosses all his attackers in the river, that he begs him to take him on as a student. You see him grow as a person and the transition of an impetuous youth to a man. A showdown between Ju-jitsu and Judo is inevitable.

At the beginning of this film there is a message from Toho that in 1944 some 1,700 feet of film was unceremoniously chopped out without any consultation with Kurosawa due to restrictions on weapons and displays of martial arts in Japan after WWII, but they were confident there was enough continuity to show the film. And a great film it is, too. 5/5 stars.

The Villaness is a 2017 South Korean movie that starts off like Hardcore Henry with 1st person POV and ends up like Nikita. With herky-jerky camera movement and a disjointed story, don't waste your time on this turkey. 2/5 stars

Birth of the Dragon is a 2016 film associated with WWE studios of Monday Night RAW pro wrestling.

I was really disappointed with this film and would rather have sat through an evening of RAW. I would have actually enjoyed that. They make Bruce Lee look like an ass and the Shaolin monk he ends up fighting is the real hero of the film. I know about Bruce Lee's past of being a brash young tough, but this shows him with nobody students and an attitude someone of his caliber would not have. It didn't look, sound or act like Bruce Lee and is a travesty to his heritage IMO. 1/5 stars

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #21,248 of 24,654
Chaos : 5/10

Unnecessarily convoluted thriller. Nakata is so busy trying to run rings around the audience with double- and triple-crossing sub-plots that anyone not paying attention would probably be lost by the film's constant time-hopping, misdirection and game-playing. If you are paying attention, you're not rewarded with a satisfying drama, just a puzzle piece, which is superficially intriguing but lacking any real substance. It's visually slick but the lighting is really flat, giving it a made-for-TV feel. The ending is baffling, and seems so arbitrary it makes me wonder if it might have been a contractual obligation to fulfill the promise of the film's title.

The Diabolical Dr. Z : 7/10

The plot is full-on B-movie material: the daughter of a mad scientist wages a vendetta against her father's persecutors through a mind-controlled go-go dancer with poisonous fingernails. What elevates it is Jess Franco's direction; the oddball story of obsession and revenge is shot through with surreal touches, which makes for a lot of fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously and yet at the same time, is surprisingly well-shot - some great use of light and shadow give the film a noir-ish atmosphere and lend it a credibility you really wouldn't expect from a low-budget 60s horror.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #21,251 of 24,654
Kingsman: the Golden Circle (2017) 2/10

Unbelievably bad follow up to the quite clever first film. This shows that there is no actor above stooping to a mess of a script for a paycheck. Pure hokum with so many plot holes there is barely any fabric left to work with. Add to that the excessive run time and a very painful experience is to be had. Waste of talent, waste of film. One can only but hope that the inevitable set up for sequels never comes to any fruition.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #21,255 of 24,654
"Pawn Sacrifice" [7.8/10]: The story of American chess genius Bobby Fischer and his quest to defeat Russian world champion Boris Spassky during the Cold War era. The story was fascinating and engaging throughout. The film was directed by Edward Zwick and had the feeling of authenticity that he is so competent at creating. However, the performances of Tobey Maguire and Live Schreiber were somewhat wooden, which was disappointing. Overall worth watching if you have any interest in the historical aspects of the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back