Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 31, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #20,806 of 24,670
Meanwhile Dunkirk gets rave reviews as some kind of cinematic breakthrough film. Go figure.

Ringu definitely deserves a spot on most creep of films ever. Paranormal Activity I quite liked, just a shame they had to make it into a franchise. Anything of Lunch's with the exception of Dune is a study in human creepiness. Robert Blake alone in Highway redlined the creep O meter for me.

Great list and goes to show how the experts at times simply don't get it. Thank heavens for modern media so we can get other opinions online now and hopefully real gems that are not critic friendly get a fair shake.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #20,807 of 24,670
I like movies where I feel the character must be scared of even breathing, but ironically enough I very much dislike movies trying to scare me. for example I hate the typical horror movie where half the scenes are about a dumb mofo going in the dark without sound and the movie goes "boo!" on me with either something jumping on the screen or music to make me have a heart attack. Alien should be exactly the kind of movie I dislike, everything dark, a monster hiding, people deciding to go to places nobody with half a brain would go
large.gif

and yet it mostly keeps me in that area where I'm genuinely worried for the character, but I'm not too jumpy myself. the "boo!" scenes are there for sure, but I think the most scared I was involved the cat ^_^. I don't remember it well enough to tell what in the scenes and story make me fee that way, but that's my reason for thinking Alien was a fine movie. and I imagine it's also the reason why some people were frustrated as they maybe wished to be scared more?

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #20,808 of 24,670
Besides Alien I can´t think of a horror movie that really worked. Besides that I would say Terminator. I saw bits of the movie when I was to young to see it and it was the scariest bits and hated to see something immortal surviving what should kill it. But it was still intense when I managed to see it.

Some horror games are more efficient then movies. Since you are there you are just not watching something non interactive.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #20,809 of 24,670
I think it's about putting yourself in the movie, which isn't something you do consciously - it just happens or it doesn't. But yeah, first-person games are definitely easier to immerse yourself in because there's no distancing effect and not much imaginative effort required; everything is happening to you directly. I'm not really much of a gamer since the 16-bit era, but I did play Isolation and that was pretty terrifying! Even more so if you could play it with VR I guess.

Anatomy by Kitty Horrorshow gave me the willies too! I recommend that one for a couple of hours of low-fi Lovecraftian weirdness. Well worth $3 :D

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #20,810 of 24,670
Yeah I did run Alien Isolation with my Rift. I had to put in a ai patch to disable the alien. But with or without VR on hard it´s just unfair... But it really made me feel what the crew at Nostromo felt at the time :)

To put VR into movies with 360 cameras in the future would be interesting. Run some experiences if it was ghost in the shell and it was quite immersive being inside the scenes and be able to choose at what angle to watch it all. Particularly for the 3D animated movie category that wouldn´t be to hard to achieve interesting results. For play fim the 360 cameras is just not good enough yet.

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #20,811 of 24,670
I never did get to my third pic choice for pure horror. It would be Langs Metropolis as I can think of nothing more horrific than man willingly subjugating himself to machines and having that become the norm for a society. Nosferatu would get the honourable mention as would the original Birth of a Nation or anything Leni Reifenstahl did for Hitler but the context needs to be there and without that a filmgoers first opinion would no doubt be akin to that of the professional reviewers that cannot fathom the context and era of the film.

Chilling but not horror, watch the first 5 minutes of 5 Graves to Cairo with the sound turned off. As eerie as it gets.

Still eagerly awaiting The Apes of Wrath review of Sorcerer as I want to revisit it but with more input than I had when it first came out. I will say that it rivals Scotts best for pure texture, and I certainly would love to see a directors cut of this one. Freidkin had a gun to his head to remove dialogue deemed to complex for american audiences.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #20,812 of 24,670
Glitter was pretty scary.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #20,814 of 24,670
How about Neon Demon???
wow I had to watch the trailer to remember that I indeed saw this. the insecure dead fish playing the lead role brought it all back. did I forget watching it because of how insignificant it was, or was it active amnesia to preserve sanity? I couldn't say.
I would gladly give this movie 0/10 unless negative values are allowed.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #20,815 of 24,670
wow I had to watch the trailer to remember that I indeed saw this. the insecure dead fish playing the lead role brought it all back. did I forget watching it because of how insignificant it was, or was it active amnesia to preserve sanity? I couldn't say.

Wow. I guess then that you are not eagerly anticiaping Wim Wenders next film" Seriously though, I absolutely adore the counterpoint and have no problem with a diametrical review of a film. I really hope you continue to input to this thread as moreso than the professional reviewers at least here we can get opposing and divergent views.

I loved the demon and though it a very twisted and contemproized take on a lot of Lovecraftian themes. That said I wonder what you would make of Nightcrawler

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #20,816 of 24,670
I never did get to my third pic choice for pure horror. It would be Langs Metropolis as I can think of nothing more horrific than man willingly subjugating himself to machines and having that become the norm for a society. Nosferatu would get the honourable mention as would the original Birth of a Nation or anything Leni Reifenstahl did for Hitler but the context needs to be there and without that a filmgoers first opinion would no doubt be akin to that of the professional reviewers that cannot fathom the context and era of the film.

Yeah, that's a whole different kind of scary, more on the disturbing and mentally scarring side. I was going for out-and-out fight or flight response type of stuff, but not done through cheap scares, which is all loud bangs are really. It's easy to make an audience jump by going bang. Metropolis is certainly chilling, and I don't think the Dracula legend was ever bettered than in Nosferatu, but if it's the horrors of man we're talking about, Salo is the one that has stayed with me the most. I wouldn't go around recommending it though because it's not something you watch for enjoyment (unless you're a bit skewed!), so much as an appreciation of what Pasolini was warning us about about man's capacity for evil and the logical endpoint of exploitation as entertainment.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #20,817 of 24,670
I loved the demon and though it a very twisted and contemproized take on a lot of Lovecraftian themes. That said I wonder what you would make of Nightcrawler

Another big Neon Demon fan here, as you know. I actually slightly preferred Nightcrawler though - really got under my skin, that one. It would be between that and Nocturnal Animals for Gyllenhaal's best film; not sure which I'd go with there. I guess I'd say Nightcrawler as Animals was more of an ensemble piece.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #20,818 of 24,670

I'm guessing you weren't a fan of Black Swan either then? :D

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #20,819 of 24,670
Yeah, that's a whole different kind of scary, more on the disturbing and mentally scarring side. I was going for out-and-out flight or fright response type of stuff, but not done through cheap scares, which is all loud bangs are really. It's easy to make an audience jump by going bang. Metropolis is certainly chilling, and I don't think the Dracula legend was ever bettered than in Nosferatu, but if it's the horrors of man we're talking about, Salo is the one that has stayed with me the most. I wouldn't go around recommending it though because it's not something you watch for enjoyment (unless you're a bit skewed!), so much as an appreciation of what Pasolini was warning us about about man's capacity for evil and the logical endpoint of exploitation as entertainment.

Shame you never did the Harry Potter series or you would no that Salo is "That which shall not be named" Odious, perhaps, guaranteed to make one examine their own worth on the planet. If is a fierceful examination of what humans are capable of. Rivaled by some of the few undrerviewd Japanese films of the same era. I cannot help but think that world events shaped a lot of these emergent films and given where world events are going today a good scrutiny of that era of film may help us out of the mess we seem do be driving ourselves into. Edit Capo while not in that league is an era examination which while sanitized is close.

Either that or the impeccable tome "Insane Clown President" gets made into a film. Pity PS Hoffman offed himself as he would have been a natural. Then again, it may have been his reason for departure.???

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #20,820 of 24,670
Wow. I guess then that you are not eagerly anticiaping Wim Wenders next film" Seriously though, I absolutely adore the counterpoint and have no problem with a diametrical review of a film. I really hope you continue to input to this thread as moreso than the professional reviewers at least here we can get opposing and divergent views.

I'm also very fine with us not being robots sharing a single mind. here, have a micro beer. :beerchug:
I really don't know much about cinema and fully accept my position of random consumer number 68465355465 with a pure subjective and amateur take on things. my opinion doesn't claim to be anything more.

I love pretty much everything about Nightcrawler and watched it again not long ago after someone mentioned it here. maybe the issue is that I have a hard time identifying with a young female top model in Neon? ^_^ I have similar issues with animes and mangas. murdering psychopaths, sure, aliens, no biggy. wizards, well I am one. but women, how could I hope to understand or identify with them? it's impossible. :sweat_smile: (I like being silly so much).

I'm guessing you weren't a fan of Black Swan either then? :D
that's actually a pretty good example forcing me to think. a lot of similarities with Neon at least on principle. career, evolution, what did I become? society, etc. the theme is close enough. and I also don't identify much with a ballet dancer. :wink:
but that's about it. I thought Black Swan was a pretty good movie. I have no legitimate reason, as I said it's gut feelings 101.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back