Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #20,791 of 24,670
oh, I watched final destination 4 last night. 1/10 feels generous I have to admit I didn't watch the all thing. it's not that the previous ones were award winning material, but some scenes were pretty cool and looked good. plus I remember laughing several times at very inappropriate moments in the theater when they came out.
but on this one they decided to go with "my nephew does great 3D stuff, you should hire him" on many scenes. the special effects looked like one of those low budget stuff you decide not to watch while bored at home on a Sunday afternoon.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #20,792 of 24,670
Saw Spiderman Homecoming because my friend chickened out on Valarian due to the poor reviews. 7.8/10. Pretty good super hero flick, the comedy was on-point for once in a Spiderman movie. I'm getting burned out on Marvel films, there's.just.so.many of them now.
Yeah this is the second reboot :p

Wonder what will be next reboot. Superman as they always fail or maybe Wolverine now that Hugh is not taking any more roles?

Watched war of the ape nice to see it all to the finish. Kind of a constructed war but well CGI is impressive. Makes me see a new theme. Planet of the CGI taking over from the apes sorry actors :D

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #20,793 of 24,670
Dawn of the Dead - 8/10 (not the remake)

Some extremely stupid characters and bad acting, but this was pretty entertaining.
Hard to believe though that the makeup for horror movies was so bad back then. Even the blood was so unrealistic looking.
Everything looked so fake that nothing was really disturbing. Have to admit the first 15 minutes are really terrible.
BTW I put in my old DVD of this last night and expected to turn it off real quick because I was so tired. Ended up watching the whole movie!
I also loved the remake. I generally hate horror movies, but Zombie movies are OK.

Dunkirk - (previously a 6/10. This is a 2nd viewing.)

Had a stressful day at work so I decided to go for a bike ride and stop off to see a movie. I decided to see this again and give it another chance.
It was just as bad as before. I tried my best to like it, but it's just really bad. Almost no scene I would consider well done. They're all just a total fail.
Early on there is also a lot of fake suspense because of the music. What is with the excessive low bass where it's not even required?

The only really interesting part is one scene where a minesweeper is on fire and the people that were on it are being rescued.
This scene is really nothing special though. There is some non fake suspense..sort of. The last 10-15 minutes are the best parts of the movie.
I wonder if the studio made him do it! It felt like the end of one of my favorite Ron Howard films. They even had an actor display something other than a blank expression.
Opps forgot about the PTSD guy (who did a good job in this movie I think).

Why also did they always cut away from the pilot's view when the gun is fired? So stupid.

I'd say this is one of the worst war movies ever made. It's also really dull to sit through. 6/10 is really being nice.
The scene where a bunch of soldiers are on a boat while it's being used for target practice is easily one of the worst scenes in the movie.
I wonder if this part really happened? I bet it did.

I'd rather watch "Battle of the Bulge" than this movie.

PS the dialogue is drowned out nearly the entire movie. Even dialogue that should be more easily heard.
Whose fault is it? All of the director's movies are like this.

Did Christopher Nolan go to film school? I was wondering about this...

My most disliked directors now are Christopher Nolan and Terence Malick (both with a movie on my top 10 list!!!)

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #20,794 of 24,670
Okja 7/10

A strange mix of hollywood and asia make it more entertaining then the score. It´s what you expect but then 100 % not what you expect :D Some scenes are for 5 years old then some are the last scenes you would expect in a kids movie which is nice. It´s for adult kids but the poop humor don´t really work.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #20,795 of 24,670
Dawn of the Dead - 8/10 (not the remake)

Some extremely stupid characters and bad acting, but this was pretty entertaining.
Hard to believe though that the makeup for horror movies was so bad back then. Even the blood was so unrealistic looking.
Everything looked so fake that nothing was really disturbing. Have to admit the first 15 minutes are really terrible.
BTW I put in my old DVD of this last night and expected to turn it off real quick because I was so tired. Ended up watching the whole movie!
I also loved the remake. I generally hate horror movies, but Zombie movies are OK.

Dunkirk - (previously a 6/10. This is a 2nd viewing.)

Had a stressful day at work so I decided to go for a bike ride and stop off to see a movie. I decided to see this again and give it another chance.
It was just as bad as before. I tried my best to like it, but it's just really bad. Almost no scene I would consider well done. They're all just a total fail.
Early on there is also a lot of fake suspense because of the music. What is with the excessive low bass where it's not even required?

The only really interesting part is one scene where a minesweeper is on fire and the people that were on it are being rescued.
This scene is really nothing special though. There is some non fake suspense..sort of. The last 10-15 minutes are the best parts of the movie.
I wonder if the studio made him do it! It felt like the end of one of my favorite Ron Howard films. They even had an actor display something other than a blank expression.
Opps forgot about the PTSD guy (who did a good job in this movie I think).

Why also did they always cut away from the pilot's view when the gun is fired? So stupid.

I'd say this is one of the worst war movies ever made. It's also really dull to sit through. 6/10 is really being nice.
The scene where a bunch of soldiers are on a boat while it's being used for target practice is easily one of the worst scenes in the movie.
I wonder if this part really happened? I bet it did.

I'd rather watch "Battle of the Bulge" than this movie.

PS the dialogue is drowned out nearly the entire movie. Even dialogue that should be more easily heard.
Whose fault is it? All of the director's movies are like this.

Did Christopher Nolan go to film school? I was wondering about this...

My most disliked directors now are Christopher Nolan and Terence Malick (both with a movie on my top 10 list!!!)
I loved the original Dawn of the Dead. the Smurfs zombies aren't a flaw, it's a feature ^_^.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #20,797 of 24,670
Detroit (2017) 9/10

Lucky yesterday to catch an early pre-screening of this one (Regal Crown Club membership coming through again).

Gripping. Visceral. Heavy. Intense. Despite the packed theater and generally depressing life-subject matter, this movie was utterly riveting to me. Well shot, paced, acted and balanced. By balanced, I mean that even though the story is a dark one there were the light moments where one could still let out a chuckle. This movie made me actually feel; pangs of anger, joy, hope, sadness. I can't ask much more of a movie. Most importantly however, you are reminded of the racial history and brutality of this nation, and how that history still unfortunately bridges into the present. I don't mean to get preachy but you see the evil of racism/prejudice for what it is, purely evil. And you walk out of the theater learning and/or remembering that, no matter your race, creed or beliefs, we are all in this together. We must all stand for right and for justice, never turning our backs to calling out what is wrong as wrong. We must all stand for each other, especially nowadays. I highly recommend this movie!

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #20,798 of 24,670
Hunger Games - 8/10

This is the 2nd time I've seen this and it's not quite as good as I remember. I actually like the last one in the series the most.
Only real negative of this is the use of the Game Masters and the CGI dogs at the end.

It's also kind of hard to believe they made this book and movie and aimed them at teens. Crazy!
What's even weirder is how they somehow made the movie into something PG-13. A lot of the graphic violence is not even shown, which is just weird.
Not that I WANT to see it. I wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) watch this unless they were 15 or 16! Is that wrong? I'm usually not that type of person.

I guess there is much worse reading material for younger readers. For example, I think I was reading Stephen King books in middle school!

PS I'm reading the book and there was a lot of stuff in it that they didn't tell you about in the movie.
For example, no mention of why Katniss had to always go out hunting and how hard it was to survive and not starve.
They also don't mention much of the situation with her mother abandoning them (sort of).

I guess they had to chop a lot out or else it would be 4 hours long.
Not finished with the book, but i'll still read it.
Not impressed with the writing, but that's OK.

I've seen the entire movie series and the only bad one is Mockingjay Part 1.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #20,799 of 24,670
I always felt that the Hunger Games movies were a lame Hollywood ripoff on Battle Royale. Don't know if the books have drawn any inspiration from BR, but the concept is very similar.

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #20,800 of 24,670
Deadpool - 6/10

I resisted the urge to turn this off after the first 5 or 10 minutes, as I was thinking 'here we go again, another wise-cracking, cocksure spandex ass-kicker'. Instead, I stuck with it, and ended up quite enjoying it, contrary to expectation. The film quickly gets into the character's back story and over the course of the film, I found myself warming to him. Sure, Wade Wilson starts off as an insufferable prick, whose geekiness is only matched by his dedication to bodybuilding (a combination that only happens in the movies) - but the travails he undergoes at the hands of Ajax, made his ascent to superhero status a lot more palatable.

Marvel are a bit late to the party with the whole post-modern shtick though and for all its fourth-wall breaking, self-referencing smarts, it's still a pretty conventional superhero film. It's more like a new flavour of drink, rather than a new take on drinks altogether. Subversive it ain't - Marvel are having their cake and eating it with this film, irreverently sending up many of the tropes they themselves have established, while still employing them to the full. It's slick and cynical, but entertaining, in a puerile kind of way; despite some eye-rolling at the more heavy-handed touches - especially the opening credits - there's also a few laughs along the way. It feels darker and dirtier than most of Marvel's recent offerings too, which is a good thing in my book after asinine fluff like GOTG, but it's hard to escape the fact that the studio is still just cleaving to its formula, albeit with a nudge and a wink this time round.

Alien - 10/10

You would have to have been living under a rock for the last 40 years to be unaware of this film and its cultural legacy. I've seen it many times myself but jumped at the chance to see it for the first time on the big screen last night. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't a digital restoration rather than the original print they screened, but that didn't prevent me being immersed into its world again.

It's one of those rare moments in cinema where all the elements combine to make something really special - an array of acting talent, including the classically trained John Hurt and Ian Holm, a fantastic, understated and eerie score by Jerry Goldsmith and set design from the wild imaginings of H.R. Giger, combined with Ridley Scott's scrupulous attention to detail. As with Blade Runner, it's that attention to detail that really makes the environment believable and the feeling of immersion into the world total. To say it's atmospheric is an understatement. Less is more is the watchword: you only glimpse the alien a handful of times but its enough to infuse the film with tension for all the time that it's not on screen.

Where the sequel is often described as a war movie in space, Alien occupies that liminal space between sci-fi and horror, probably more perfectly combining the two genres than any film before or since. It has all the tension of a great slasher film, but also asks the question of what it means to be human, when faced with another dominant species, that has perfected the art of survival, a creature Ash admires greatly for its 'purity'. Ash though, is merely a proxy for the company, who want to get their hands on the ultimate biological killing machine, stopping at nothing to ensure its delivery. As much as the film is forward-looking, inspired by the success of Star Wars, the unseen but ever-present shadow of 'the company' also harks back to the dystopian sci-fis of the earlier part of the 70s, where Kafkaesque paranoia about hidden structures of control and subjugation reigned supreme.

Watching it back again, you realize how many iconic scenes and moments there are in this film, which have been etched into the cultural subconscious. Alien has inspired so many imitators, but none that have surpassed it, and only a handful that got close.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #20,801 of 24,670
How these kind of films get green lit in the first place is the real mystery - who's backing them, and why?
Seriously; I wish some who make movies . . . would just not. Literally, pick ANYTHING else to do with your life. Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason, I didn't get notified that you had quoted me. I only saw that you had responded to me when I came back to this thread to post another movie rating. Speaking of:

The Truman Show: ~ 9/10

Wow, just wow. This has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm so glad I finally saw it. Earlier in this thread, we were talking about who was a worse actor: Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell. Well, neither have anything on Jim Carrey. Between this and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This movie reinforces my belief that the 90s was the best decade for movies. The 90s saw Schindler's List, Heavenly Creatures, The Shawshank Redemption (which should've won the Best Picture Oscar over the highly overrated Forrest Gump in my opinion, by the way), The Truman Show, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #20,802 of 24,670
Seriously; I wish some who make movies . . . would just not. Literally, pick ANYTHING else to do with your life. Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason, I didn't get notified that you had quoted me. I only saw that you had responded to me when I came back to this thread to post another movie rating. Speaking of:

The Truman Show: ~ 9/10

Wow, just wow. This has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm so glad I finally saw it. Earlier in this thread, we were talking about who was a worse actor: Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell. Well, neither have anything on Jim Carrey. Between this and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This movie reinforces my belief that the 90s was the best decade for movies. The 90s saw Schindler's List, Heavenly Creatures, The Shawshank Redemption (which should've won the Best Picture Oscar over the highly overrated Forrest Gump in my opinion, by the way), The Truman Show, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Yeah, that seems to be how the notification system works on the new platform: you only get one notification since the last time you viewed a subscribed thread. Any messages that accrue after that aren't notified, until you go and look at the thread again, at which point it must register you as being 'caught up', and again, sends a notification of the next new post only. I quite like it personally - means your inbox isn't flooded, and you can just go and catch up on a subscribed thread at your leisure. I do think all quotations should be notified though, because it's a direct response to your post.

Enjoyed The Truman Show, although it's been a long time since I saw it (and it might just be one of those films you don't need to see more than once, if you know what I mean). It went quite a long way to improving my opinion of Jim Carrey after dreck like Ace Ventura. Not sure I agree on the 90s being the best decade for cinema - if it even makes sense to generalize about it, it would have to be the 70s for me, just based on how many of my favourite films come from that decade and how many landmark movies got made then.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #20,803 of 24,670
Not sure I agree on the 90s being the best decade for cinema - if it even makes sense to generalize about it, it would have to be the 70s for me, just based on how many of my favourite films come from that decade and how many landmark movies got made then.
I prefer more contemporary cinema to "Hollywood's Golden Age". I mostly like movies from the 60s-present. But the 90s would have to be my favorite decade for movies.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #20,804 of 24,670
I prefer more contemporary cinema to "Hollywood's Golden Age". I mostly like movies from the 60s-present. But the 90s would have to be my favorite decade for movies.

Hard to argue for any decade over any other. Were a gun pointed to my head I would have to say the sixties as it was a pivotal point in cinema worldwide. While other decades may have spawned the "blockbuster" and ushered in eras of effects and stylisms. Any film worth poo nowdays can trace its gestation back to the groundbreaking works done in the sixties, which in turn owes great debts to films of the 40's and 50's that allowed the infux of money to filmakers to really stretch things.

Re:Alien. Hard to not love the film. I was one of three people in the audience when I first saw it and was absolutely spellbound. Panned by critics at the time, one prominent critic reviewed it by stating "Fox could have saved themselves millions by just re releasing Star Wars instead of financing this film" (Revisionist history paints a different picture but I was there and read the reviews at the time and empty theatres were the rule not the exception)it was really the wakeup call for me in seeing that TPTB can be completely wrong. Leaving the theatre all three of us made a pact to recommend this film to everyone we knew as a must be seen adventure.

Some decades later it factors into eerie creepy film nights with friends along with Silence of the Lambs. Staying power it has, pity Ridley departed from his creative heyday (Blade Runner was not far off when Alien was in prod)

If you were to pick three films to scare the bejesus out of people you were introducing to film, My first two would be Alien and Silence.

Curious to know what your picks would be.:)

Now to go off the reserve here.

TV Le Bureau des Legendes. Say what you will about Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Killing et all.

If thriller, espionage, drama is your bag, you do not want to miss this one. Suffering through season 3 with my PP French it never misses a beat which is almost unheard of for a tv series. Everyone pulls their weight in this one and when you think it cheeses out in the american manner it turns the trope on its azz and makes the point. Not a single weak episode in 3 years of running. This is a study in cinematic efficiency, not a second goes to waste here, not a performer hams or wastes their time on screen. A simply stunning experience to watch.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #20,805 of 24,670
Hard to argue for any decade over any other. Were a gun pointed to my head I would have to say the sixties as it was a pivotal point in cinema worldwide. While other decades may have spawned the "blockbuster" and ushered in eras of effects and stylisms. Any film worth poo nowdays can trace its gestation back to the groundbreaking works done in the sixties, which in turn owes great debts to films of the 40's and 50's that allowed the infux of money to filmakers to really stretch things.

Re:Alien. Hard to not love the film. I was one of three people in the audience when I first saw it and was absolutely spellbound. Panned by critics at the time, one prominent critic reviewed it by stating "Fox could have saved themselves millions by just re releasing Star Wars instead of financing this film" (Revisionist history paints a different picture but I was there and read the reviews at the time and empty theatres were the rule not the exception)it was really the wakeup call for me in seeing that TPTB can be completely wrong. Leaving the theatre all three of us made a pact to recommend this film to everyone we knew as a must be seen adventure.

Some decades later it factors into eerie creepy film nights with friends along with Silence of the Lambs. Staying power it has, pity Ridley departed from his creative heyday (Blade Runner was not far off when Alien was in prod)

If you were to pick three films to scare the bejesus out of people you were introducing to film, My first two would be Alien and Silence.

Curious to know what your picks would be.:)

That's a tricky one, as fear is very subjective, in a way. I can tell you the 3 films that s**tted me up the most, but doubtless someone else will go, "you found that scary?!" So with that caveat, #1 for me would be Ringu - the spectre of Sadako coming at you through the TV broke down the fourth wall to alarming effect. I was scared of my TV switching itself on for days after that. #2 is actually a short film, 'Amateur Night', from the found footage portmanteau V/H/S. That one is discomfiting on several levels, and one scene in particular haunted me for a long time afterwards, particularly when alone in stairwells... #3 controversial maybe, but it was the first Paranormal Activity. The first installment had an insidiousness that none of the follow ups came close to IMO. Slept with the light on for some time after that! Found footage, more than most sub-genres maybe, lives and dies by whether you buy into it though. I know others who would say they couldn't suspend disbelief at all and therefore it didn't work for them. Thinking about other scary films, The Exorcist still holds up as well I think - the scariest way to watch that film is to try and put yourself in the shoes of Regan's mother and watch with horror at the transformations her daughter undergoes. Lost Highway, the whole film but particularly the party scene. Inland Empire, every appearance of Grace Zabriskie.

I did read that Alien had been panned at the time by a number of prominent critics - including NY Times I think? Good on you for spreading the word! It grossed $79m though so given the budget, I wouldn't say it was a flop at the B.O. I guess word got around. It's always puzzling when I come across what I consider to be an absolute classic and read that critical reception at the time was mixed, to say the least. Blade Runner was famously another one of course, but some of these beggar belief: http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2015/15-great-movies-that-the-critics-got-wrong/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back