Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #20,716 of 24,651
Hunt for the Red October - 4/10

One of the worst i've seen in years maybe and almost so bad I wanted to turn it off.
Terrible writing too and at least the acting is OK.

PS if you don't remember, this is starring Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin.
I hope the scriptwriter didn't get paid much for this movie..

I wouldn't rate it that low. You have to remember it was almost the last cold war film made in the era. It is a McTiernan film and so inevitable suffers from all his characteristic "Gee I'm so clever" misdirections.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #20,717 of 24,651
The Mack- 7/10
Awesome soundtrack pretty good movie but it definitely is showing its age; the dialogue is great in parts though.

Pursuit of happiness- 8.5/10
Some parts are kind of improbable but hey thats how movies are; solid acting, decent cinematography would watch again.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #20,718 of 24,651
Baby Driver - 9.5/10

A lot better than I expected. Jamie Fox actually had one of the best roles in the movie. I actually wouldn't mind seeing this again.
It's too bad my local theater had the low bass cranked up stupid high and ruined a lot of the soundtrack.

BTW kind of a stupid name for the movie, but after seeing it I'm glad they used it. I'm not sure what else I would have called it!

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #20,719 of 24,651
Atomic Blonde - 6.5/10

[My Attempt at No Spoilers] Do you like dashes of James McAvoy (I've generally liked him as an actor since "Wanted")? Better yet, do you like heavy doses of Charlize Theron (I don't mind her too much either, if you know what I mean, but still figuring her out as an actress)? Maybe even better, would you like to see the latter kick a lot of mostly senseless butt as an end-of-Cold-War era supa'-spy? Then this is the movie for you. I was lucky to see an early pre-screening of this one a few days back and I honestly didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. Maybe it was the somewhat uninspiring premise/device used to drag the plot along from the start, or maybe it was the two ladies sitting next to me that couldn't help but let out yelps during every, single, action scene. And there were a good number of action/fight scenes...that were admittedly engaging but felt quite...pointless to me. The neon-cool colored style of the cinematography was pretty to take in. And the movie does try get you with some twists and turns by the end of it, so I guess it wasn't that bad. Yet at the end, I got a good whiff of a chest-beating/propagandistic vibe with one nation-actor smugly beaming at all the other apparently incompetent participants in the rat race. I'll say no more.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #20,720 of 24,651
I got a good whiff of a chest-beating/propagandistic vibe with one nation-actor smugly beaming at all the other apparently incompetent participants in the rat race. I'll say no more.

I took something like this from the synopsis in the BFI programme for August (they also have a preview screening) and decided to pass. After reading your review, I'm not particularly regretting that decision.

or maybe it was the two ladies sitting next to me that couldn't help but let out yelps during every, single, action scene.

This kind of thing can really put a dampener or your enjoyment of a movie. I had something similar at the screening of Get Out a couple of months back. I don't think anything would have done much to raise my already pretty low opinion of the movie, but it's one of the dumbest crowds I've seen a film with in quite some time. Screaming at the slightest thing like they'd never seen a horror movie before and laughing hysterically at dialogue that barely raised a smile from half the audience (me included). My current beef is people who talk in movie theatres though. Lately I have had the misfortune to sit in front of couples who insist on whispering to each other throughout the film - I was so irritated by it during Repulsion that I actually turned round and shhhhshed them. It did the trick but they probably thought I was a tool - not that I care! I just don't get why people can't sit down for a couple of hours and focus all their attention on the film - there's plenty of time to discuss it afterwards. If you want to pass comment on a film as it's playing, watch it at home!

Anyway... caught this hoary old classic on the big screen yesterday:

Rain Man - 8/10

I hadn't watched it since I was a kid, so thought it would be a good opportunity to re-visit; I certainly got more out of it this time round - I think it's held up pretty well. The soundtrack is unmistakably 80s, but done right, that's no bad thing in my book. The main draw of course, is Hoffman's performance as the severely autistic Raymond - it would have been easy to slip out of character occasionally, but he never does. Despite exposure to different situations, Raymond remains basically unchanged, still reciting his comfort blanket 'Abbott & Costello' skit even at his brother's own house, which is just another place that isn't his familiar environment. Personal growth occurs principally for Cruise's character, Charlie Babbitt, who discovers his humanity over the course of a week long road trip a la Planes, Trains & Automobiles. I'll never be convinced Cruise is a great actor, especially when held up to Hoffman's exacting method, but his early work was generally his best IMO and this remains one of his finest performances. There was still a vulnerability and a rawness to him at this stage that has all but gone in the all-conquering Hollywood demigod he went on to become. It's also a rare Cruise outing that doesn't conform to the Rich Hall template!

The framing and the colours used lend the film a sense of nostalgia, and paint a picture of a lost time - in this case, backroads America, in the late 80s; a place of outdated motels and Hicksville towns that time forgot, where all roads lead to Vegas and a bright, neon-lit future. The script is tight - despite it being over 20 years since I last saw it, I remembered a good half a dozen scenes and even some lines of dialogue vividly. While the story flirts with implausibility and sentimentality at times, it generally reigns it in and wisely resists going down 'the cure' route, so Charlie's potential for reconciliation with his brother is limited by the latter's irreversibly stunted emotional intelligence. Despite this, there are some moments of genuine pathos as well as hilarity (mainly derived from Charlie's frustrations with Raymond), where you almost feel bad for laughing, but can't help it.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #20,721 of 24,651
Well Atomic Blonde is yet another comic book adaptation so really how high of an expectation can one have. I pre rate it as a wait for the freebie streaming release.

Hoffman did not want to take the part in Rain Man. He claimed that as a method actor he would be unable to carry it off. That always struck me as a real milestone in his career, taking that kind of risk and making it work so well is nothing short of brilliant.

Cruise had the makings of an actor of the calibre that Damon, and DeCaprio achieved but somewhere along the line he fell so in love with his own image that most of his performances are cookie cutter copies of each other. It takes a strong director and a very strong cast to wake him up. He does not seem to gravitate to those types of film though. Perhaps he will get back to it as he ages but I suspect that as long as wigs and pancake number 14 are around he will forever be casting himself as action man. Magnolia would be my personal vote for high point in his career.

I was curious to see if he could in fact get Yukkikaze made, particularly after the reasonable effort of Edge of Tomorrow. I fear Scarlett murdered that possibility with her last effort. Getting financed for another take on a Japanese anime/scifi novel classic just got a whole lot harder. Still rumours persist of the sequel to Edge being in "Pre Production" whatever that means.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #20,723 of 24,651
Atlas Shrugged - Part 1 - 7.5/10

Somehow I sort of like this. Of course I totally disagree with Ayn Rand's philosophy, but don't know enough about it just from watching this movie.

Part 2 - 4/10

They changed ALL the actors in this movie and that was a bit confusing at first. They also added a lot of really bad CGI.

Part 3 - 5/10

Less CGI here, but overall pretty bad. Somehow it's the only one in the series that dragged a bit. I found most of them somewhat entertaining.

I spent about $12 renting this series and it was really just a waste of time and money.
I definitely now have zero interest in reading the book.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #20,724 of 24,651
You are pretty much spot on there Dock. I really wonder at the recasting from film to film. It could have been so much better if continuity had been a priority.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #20,725 of 24,651
Coherence. A lot of incoherencies. 5/10. Slightly interestnig with the confusion but in the end nothing makes sense.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #20,726 of 24,651
Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - 9/10

This was good enough for me to see it twice in the theater in Imax. Saw it a third time and there was not too much to complain about.
I do find that it is kind of slow and this might ruin it for some people. I think the acting for this type of movie is actually pretty good.
The worst is that of Julianne Moore (especially in Part 1). The movie is sort of dumbed down, but there is actually some stuff in here that actually makes you think.

I think I gave Mockingjay part I a 5.5 or 6/10

BTW I just bought the Hunger Games book. I had to find it in the "Teen Adventure" section. I wanted the boxed set but it was $38. Amazon just had a prime sale on it for $22 I think.
There is a lot of super weird and extremely depressing looking books in that section. I thought maybe I was in the "New Age" section or something.
It's funny to think there are some parents out there who are offended by the Diary of Anne Frank yet something like "The Hunger Games" is A-OK.
Do they even teach kids about the Holocaust in schools anymore? I sure hope so. I've heard the Pledge of Allegiance is out these days.
Funny to think I had moral issues with the idea of a book like this being targeted towards younger people. I'm sure there is much worse things they see daily on TV.
Kids these days probably love "Game of Thrones" and "The Walking Dead". I really have no idea. I know my brother and his 14 year old daughter love "The Walking Dead" (!!!!).

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #20,727 of 24,651
This kind of thing can really put a dampener or your enjoyment of a movie. I had something similar at the screening of Get Out a couple of months back.....My current beef is people who talk in movie theatres though....If you want to pass comment on a film as it's playing, watch it at home!

Just people being very inconsiderate. In recent years, I avoid new releases for that very reason. Being Lucky to bag free pre-screening tickets (Regal theater membership pays off folks!), like in this case, is the only reason I catch them otherwise. If I want to see it on the big screen I usually wait a few weeks after release and choose only the matinee showing. My own private viewing. Same way I saw Get Out, which I didn't dislike quite as strongly as you did. More so an eerie experience for me in an almost empty theater (being a black dude myself probably heightened that eerieness; only others in the theater were two young white girls and an elderly white couple, haha).

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #20,728 of 24,651
large_1cPGQ88OFjhlp60N1ngBObeHmAT.jpg

Street Smart- 8/10

Way more entertaining then I thought it would be, solid performances from everyone except for Christopher Reeves. Evil Morgan Freeman is still pretty awesome, a couple highlight scenes from him and a few other actors.
The ending is slightly undeserving but it's a movie I got more than I expected from.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #20,729 of 24,651
Just people being very inconsiderate. In recent years, I avoid new releases for that very reason. Being Lucky to bag free pre-screening tickets (Regal theater membership pays off folks!), like in this case, is the only reason I catch them otherwise. If I want to see it on the big screen I usually wait a few weeks after release and choose only the matinee showing. My own private viewing. Same way I saw Get Out, which I didn't dislike quite as strongly as you did. More so an eerie experience for me in an almost empty theater (being a black dude myself probably heightened that eerieness; only others in the theater were two young white girls and an elderly white couple, haha).
I can't stand it and... well ... I don't. I always ask for silence as nicely and softly as possible, but if that does nothing, I get mad fairly fast and it shows. I become a mix of "here's Johnny!" and "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse".
but indeed when possible I also favor low traffic hours and small theaters. almost empty rooms are something special.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #20,730 of 24,651
I dated a girl who was all of 4'11 inches tall. She could shut people up with a look like no other I have encountered since. My pet peeve is people who insist on tapping their feet on the seat in front of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back