Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #20,686 of 24,645
But 10/10 is, by definition, a perfect score. The highest score I've ever given something didn't climb above 9.5/10. The movie I've given the highest score to was Schindler's List. Maybe I would have given that one a perfect score if it had been filmed in the languages that would have actually been spoken in that region of the world (German, Hebrew). A small issue yes (most would probably say a non-issue), but I tried to think of one thing I didn't like about the film and that was all I could think of. It isn't a big deal for me, but I wish that American-made movies that take place in foreign countries were filmed in the languages spoken in those countries rather than English.

We've had this debate on the thread before I recall - not you and I, just in general. Personally, whilst I get your logic, I think 10/10 can represent a kind of best in class, especially for genre films. There's only about a couple dozen films I've seen in my life that I'd score a 10/10, but some of those are sci-fi and horror, which might not get a 10 if directly compared with the cinematic greats, but that within their genre, set a benchmark. I think of Blade Runner in sci-fi for instance. That's one I'd give a 10. You can't compare it to a classic like Touch of Evil, say, but for me, it remains a sci-fi film by which I judge all others. It's a measure of perfection within the genre. Only my view of course; I know others who wouldn't rate it so highly, even with my genre-specific qualifier!

I very much agree on Hollywood films set in foreign countries with English dialogue. I'd go further though: it ruins the illusion of the film and I have a hard time even watching them. It's not a small issue; at least not for me.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #20,689 of 24,645
Escape From New York is the only John Carpenter movie I've seen. I intend to change that.

Definitely should. Carpenter had a decade-long purple patch from Halloween through to Big Trouble. Some would probably include They Live in that too. Even Dark Star is worth watching for a hoot - early Dan O'Bannon too, that one.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #20,690 of 24,645
I just got done watching Blade Runner Director's Cut. It's probably the 10th time that I've watched it. Love the soundtrack too. I would have to say that it is worthy of a perfect 10/10. I just ordered the book about the film production that was written by a person who was on set while they were filming. It's probably the only movie in existence that I would purchase a book about. I really don't have the words to express how good I think the movie is.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #20,691 of 24,645
hounds-of-love-cinema-australia-1.jpg

Hounds of Love - 7/10

On the face of it, another in a long line of serial killer thrillers, but what pushes this one above average is the quality of performances first time director Ben Young extracts from his cast and his keen eye for composition. Like Jonathan Glazer, Young cut his teeth making music videos and that sense of style carries over into his debut feature. The film opens with an arresting combination of tracking shot and super slo mo - an unusual effect that he puts to good use a couple more times - which sets the tone. The shot is of a netball court and the young girls on court look almost exhibit-like as the camera pans unnervingly across them, finally revealing a couple watching them intently from their car, obviously up to no good! You don't get to see their faces at this point, but by the end, you'll be all too familiar with them...

Unlike other films in this sub-genre, like Pet or Curve, for instance, the scenario that unfolds rarely pushes the bounds of credibility. A lot of the violence happens off camera and the film relies on atmosphere and engagement with the characters rather than shock factor to keep the viewer hooked. It also moves at a brisk pace, never allowing your mind to wander too far from the here and now. Ashleigh Cummings is convincing in the role of the kidnapped girl and Stephen Curry does a good job of portraying a flat track bully - a man whose pitiful sense of self-worth is derived from victimizing those weaker than himself. But it's Emma Booth who steals the show, as the conflicted and deeply repressed Evelyn, torn between animal aggression, misplaced loyalty, and latent maternal instincts.

While the film touches on issues of gender politics and dangerously dysfunctional relationships, it never really amounts to more than a solid genre flick. It's difficult to find fault, especially for a first feature, but equally not something I can imagine wanting to revisit any time soon, being somewhat linear and lacking depth as it is. I wasn't overly enamoured with the ending either - it was a bit contrived, where the rest of the movie was well-paced and believable - and the choice of music to accompany the cathartic finale felt too obvious and self-aggrandizing in some way (great song though it is.) Saying that, there is one scene within the ending sequence that worked very well. No spoilers though; I'll give this one a guarded thumbs up to fans of the horror / thriller genre.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #20,692 of 24,645

Hounds of Love - 7/10

On the face of it, another in a long line of serial killer thrillers, but what pushes this one above average is the quality of performances first time director Ben Young extracts from his cast and his keen eye for composition. Like Jonathan Glazer, Young cut his teeth making music videos and that sense of style carries over into his debut feature. The film opens with an arresting combination of tracking shot and super slo mo - an unusual effect that he puts to good use a couple more times - which sets the tone. The shot is of a netball court and the young girls on court look almost exhibit-like as the camera pans unnervingly across them, finally revealing a couple watching them intently from their car, obviously up to no good! You don't get to see their faces at this point, but by the end, you'll be all too familiar with them...

Unlike other films in this sub-genre, like Pet or Curve, for instance, the scenario that unfolds rarely pushes the bounds of credibility. A lot of the violence happens off camera and the film relies on atmosphere and engagement with the characters rather than shock factor to keep the viewer hooked. It also moves at a brisk pace, never allowing your mind to wander too far from the here and now. Ashleigh Cummings is convincing in the role of the kidnapped girl and Stephen Curry does a good job of portraying a flat track bully - a man whose pitiful sense of self-worth is derived from victimizing those weaker than himself. But it's Emily Booth who steals the show, as the conflicted and deeply repressed Evelyn, torn between animal aggression, misplaced loyalty, and latent maternal instincts.

While the film touches on issues of gender politics and dangerously dysfunctional relationships, it never really amounts to more than a solid genre flick. It's difficult to find fault, especially for a first feature, but equally not something I can imagine wanting to revisit any time soon, being somewhat linear and lacking depth as it is. I wasn't overly enamoured with the ending either - it was a bit contrived, where the rest of the movie was well-paced and believable - and the choice of music to accompany the cathartic finale felt too obvious and self-aggrandizing in some way (great song though it is.) Saying that, there is one scene within the ending sequence that worked very well. No spoilers though; I'll give this one a guarded thumbs up to fans of the horror / thriller genre.

I would probably go a half point lower on that one. The camera work is really well done in spots and the film exploits more of the psychological aspect. Gore fest addicts should probably give this one a miss. If however you admire the darkside slice of life type film this one really does not disappoint. The final result is something that is very believable and all the more horrifying for that. While I half way agree on the ending seeming contrived there are two short shots there that saved it for me.

To sum up in brief. This is a film that easily allows one to forgive it's shortcomings.

PS. I could not help but wonder all the way through what Kate Bush made of the exercise:)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #20,693 of 24,645
The Lost City of Z (2017) 5/10

A very much style over substance costume drama that really dances lightly over the major issues at play for the characters involved. The result is very superficial characterizations that really do not endear themselves in any way to the viewer. You will not find yourself pulling for any given one in this film.

To put it as simply as I can this film does everything wrong that Lawrence of Arabia did right.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #20,694 of 24,645
The Lost City of Z (2017) 5/10

A very much style over substance costume drama that really dances lightly over the major issues at play for the characters involved. The result is very superficial characterizations that really do not endear themselves in any way to the viewer. You will not find yourself pulling for any given one in this film.

To put it as simply as I can this film does everything wrong that Lawrence of Arabia did right.

That about sums it up. An opportunity missed. The real life story is a lot more interesting than this wannabe historical epic, which ends up being a drawn-out melodrama. I think I was slightly more generous than you in my rating, mostly for some decent cinematography - I certainly wasn't engrossed by the drama (or lack thereof).

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #20,695 of 24,645
Exactly. The personal history of Fawcett is only alluded to and as such his motivation is left a mystery. That coupled with only 20 minutes of screen time in the jungles where he actually spent most of his life make for a very hollow portrait.

Pattinsons mumbling through his lines put me off as well.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #20,696 of 24,645
Guardians of the Galaxy (Part 1) - 4/10

Not sure what happened here. Saw part 2 and loved it...rented this one and hated it. Didn't find it fun or funny at all and just a chore to sit through.
The raccoon guy was disappointing too in this one. Looked more like a puppet or something and not very realistic.

What made part 2 so good was that I actually liked all the characters. Not so much here...weird.
Part 2 also had a lot more comedy too.

If you don't remember, I gave that one a 9!

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #20,697 of 24,645

Not sure what happened here. Saw part 2 and loved it...rented this one and hated it. Didn't find it fun or funny at all and just a chore to sit through.
The raccoon guy was disappointing too in this one. Looked more like a puppet or something and not very realistic.

What made part 2 so good was that I actually liked all the characters. Not so much here...weird.

I probably should have warned you off GOG mark I there. But I was curious to see what you would make of it after the second film introduced you to it. Sort of like the whole Hulk fiasco, it really only works if you can find some mental draino to flush the first attempt out of you mind completely.

Still hoping Rocket Racoon urinates in Starks Audi's drivers seat. That would be the only reason I would watch the crossover film.
IBID : Well that and to see Nebula wipe the floor with Black Widows remains:)

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #20,698 of 24,645
Logan -- 8/.510 Hugh Jackman and Dafne Keen
Extremely violent conclusion to the series with a tremendous little girl actress Keen absolutely stealing the show, and setting up the next star of the next sequel--but of course. Cha-ching!

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #20,699 of 24,645
District 9 - 10/10

Easily one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. I remember when this came out I had seen it three times in the theater. I think my previous record was only seeing a movie twice.
I actually decided to not watch this when it came out on blu-ray and when I finally did it was just as good as I remember.

I wonder if they will ever make a sequel? I sure hope so.

Manufacturing Consent - 9/10

One of the longest documentaries i've seen that isn't about war.
Starts out slow and seems to go nowhere at first.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #20,700 of 24,645

That is the first movie? It was a lot of fun so I guess part II is 12 out of 10 :)

I haven´t really watched much movies lately just no time and went through house of cards season 5. Really tired of the Underwoods I think the series died a bit after the second season.

Past week I did work on going through John Wick. It took a week. It´s a movie you just wonder why it´s made? Keanu Reeves play a very uncharismatic lead character. Surely he don´t have anything to work with anybody would bomb in that role but why take it? And why did it get a sequel? 3/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back