Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 31, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #20,416 of 24,653
  Life (2017)  7.5/10

Well put together and acted Alien knock off for the new generation. Worth a look for those who enjoy the genre and have never seen Alien. Totally predictable fare though with high production values standing in for originality of plot. Arrival, this aint:)  The big shock ending, of course, is not and you will see it a mile off.

Poorly acted in my opinion. I think producers were expecting Alfonso Cuaron's realistic approach into beaten formula of Alien movies. Total failure in that department.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #20,417 of 24,653
No it´s good acted :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #20,419 of 24,653

A little predictable? Totally predictable more like. Terrible movie IMO - Hollywood mind rot.

Still, I was more taken with it than I probably should be. It's no Neal Asher Cowl in depth and breath but better than most of the hollydreck showing up of late.

Been on a bent of hwood and euro Scifi that left me cold of late. Great time to be alive and exercise some reading skills though.:)

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #20,420 of 24,653

Poorly acted in my opinion. I think producers were expecting Alfonso Cuaron's realistic approach into beaten formula of Alien movies. Total failure in that department.

You really have to make the leap that Ridley Scott never existed to make this film work:wink:

Then again this film would have benefited immensely had Jakes pod splasheddown right next to Sandra Bullocks:)

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #20,421 of 24,653
Still, I was more taken with it than I probably should be. It's no Neal Asher Cowl in depth and breath but better than most of the hollydreck showing up of late.

I'd have to disagree there - I think it got 2/10 from me 
biggrin.gif
 Just pushed all the wrong buttons I guess.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #20,422 of 24,653

I'd have to disagree there - I think it got 2/10 from me 
biggrin.gif
 Just pushed all the wrong buttons I guess.

Thats fair game. Some films, and largely dependant on the viewers experience, will fare better or worse upon individual review. I have no issue with that. My personal bias is to forgive a whole lot in a Scifier that actually tries. That attitude in the last month has been verily beaten out of me like an eastender carjacking as it were. My heart bleeds for the genre, and as alluded to is only made up by a resurgence in intelligent if overly dark surge in Science Fiction novels emergeing. Paradigm shift perhaps?

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #20,423 of 24,653
Apr 1, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #20,424 of 24,653
  http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-2-5-out-of-5-stars-1.4049335

Ouch could this one possibly be even worse than expected? More than likely make a trillion at the BO on opeing week anyhow.

Thats what they get for casting the female Nicolas Cage as the lead.

Yeah, I plan to let you guys bite the bullet on this one 
biggrin.gif
 I've never yet seen a good live action version of an animation, and GITS has more to lose than most given the quality of the source material.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #20,425 of 24,653

Yeah, I plan to let you guys bite the bullet on this one 
biggrin.gif
 I've never yet seen a good live action version of an animation, and GITS has more to lose than most given the quality of the source material.

I suspect Scarlett will never be able to travel to Asia again
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #20,426 of 24,653
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-2-5-out-of-5-stars-1.4049335

Ouch could this one possibly be even worse than expected? More than likely make a trillion at the BO on opeing week anyhow.

Thats what they get for casting the female Nicolas Cage as the lead.

Lol @Nic Cage.

It's pretty much on the cusp.
Hope to find some time to write something up soon.
The first half of the movie was a waste. The 2nd half started to pull off a miraculous feat of potential cohesion but it was just about too late.

Yeah, I plan to let you guys bite the bullet on this one :D  I've never yet seen a good live action version of an animation, and GITS has more to lose than most given the quality of the source material.

It's too late for me, but there'll be others.

I suspect Scarlett will never be able to travel to Asia again:D

I watched a video on YouTube where they asked young Japanese what they thought of her being white and they were pretty much like, "why would that be an issue?"

If anything, they should ban her for the mostly abysmal performance.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #20,427 of 24,653
Rogue One 6/10

A lot of wooden acting. Felicity has less range then Keanu Reeves and Arnold Schwarzenegger? I think I counted two expressions but not more.

I don´t know they just repeat the old movies not sure why we have this new trilogy.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #20,428 of 24,653
life 4/10 and 3 points go to the guys working on the 3D stuff. given how empty and stupid the story is, I feel like the special effects were way too good and undeserved. even for fans of alien horror stuff, there are zero scary moment, zero surprise moment when some idiot thinks he's saved and the monster/killer goes "Boooooh Ima kill ya".

The space between us 5/10 as a teen movie for young teen or people who really need a cheesy innocent movie. to me it's more like a 2/10 given that there are more impossible events than I could count. relevant trivia, the copter doesn't explode.

hidden figures: 8/10 the only stuff I've seen in the last 2 weeks that I can call a movie. some stuff are unnecessarily long or repeated when they needn't be IMO. but at least actors can act, and we learn that great lesson about how people can be a little less racist when they really need the black girls and have no other choice. a real lesson about how paranoia and hatred of communism can help black people. (or maybe I misunderstood the moral lesson of the movie, IDK) ^_^

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #20,429 of 24,653
I watched a video on YouTube where they asked young Japanese what they thought of her being white and they were pretty much like, "why would that be an issue?"

According to Kermode, the original creator didn't have a problem with it either, saying he didn't think the role was nationality-specific. The review's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Pw9J6qtzM - you might find it of interest, having seen the film. Capsule summary: it could've been worse!

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #20,430 of 24,653

According to Kermode, the original creator didn't have a problem with it either, saying he didn't think the role was nationality-specific. The review's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Pw9J6qtzM - you might find it of interest, having seen the film. Capsule summary: it could've been worse!

I wonder how much they paid him for the endorsement?

Could have been worse? Not much of a recco that is
biggrin.gif

And on that note.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)  Boring as paint/10

Not whitewashed but Dumbwashed from stem to stern. Lifeless performances all around like having a film populated with David Duchovny's in every role. Typically hollywooded scripting shoehorned into a vehicle that attempts to distract one with style. That style to me was utterly lacking and at times I wondered if the props people were in their preteen years. Spot the Lotus Esprit and win a prize :)

I found myself almost nodding off through this one and it is not fair to blame Scarlett alone for that. Wooden was a charitable description and should have been extended to the entire cast rather than heaving the burden on her.

This film plays out as if the director watched the original without the sound and made up a Marvel storyline to go along with it.

Save the expense and wait for a netrental on this one. It should be up there fairly soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back