Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 18, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #16,366 of 24,690
The Theory of Everything 10/10

This movie is truly flawless in every way.  A beautiful story told brilliantly!  A masterpiece.  I cannot reccomend it strongly enough
The acting is outrageously good.  The only acting that comes to mind in this moment that rivals Eddie Redmayne's performance in this movie is Joaquin Phoenix in "The Master"   Eddie is so convincing in this role, you really forget you are watching an actor at all.

Whether this movie, or eddie win any awards is irrelevant.  There is no denying this level of talent.  Not to mention this is obviously a true story, and its an incredible and amazingly positive one at that. 

in case you are hesitant, thinking this movie might be a real downer, or hard luck story, and so on, you are in for a pleasant surprise.  This story is funny, inspiring, and focuses almost entirely on the beauty and magic of life. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #16,369 of 24,690
The Dam Busters - 9/10

Very good underrated WWII movie i've now seen twice. Basically this movies focus is on the building of the mine. It had to bounce off the water multiple times to hit it's target. The goal was to halt the production of steel to help the war effort. Without water no steel could be produced.

Only fault of the movie is the main character's dog was a black lab and named the "N-word". Didn't bother me, but just felt a big strange. They're remaking this movie and it will be renamed to "Digger"! It's going to be produced by Peter Jackson. The dog actually is important to the story.

Chariots of Fire - 5/10

Possibly the dullest movie i've seen in years. Even the racing scenes were terrible. Nearly all slow mo. It's one of those movies that won a ton of awards and i'll never know why.
I would say at least half the scenes felt pointless and just a waste of time. To me it makes those Merchant Ivory movies feel like a thrill ride. I actually like those.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #16,371 of 24,690

Tough grader (C) based on your description...why so low?

Maybe because it's because I feel this film is the weakest out of the three and it focuses mostly on the final battle too much?

My family and I are going to see it on Christmas Day...I guess we'll see. I heard that the final battle takes-up a huge amount of screen time...

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #16,372 of 24,690
  The Dam Busters - 9/10

Very good underrated WWII movie i've now seen twice. Basically this movies focus is on the building of the mine. It had to bounce off the water multiple times to hit it's target. The goal was to halt the production of steel to help the war effort. Without water no steel could be produced.

Only fault of the movie is the main character's dog was a black lab and named the "N-word". Didn't bother me, but just felt a big strange. They're remaking this movie and it will be renamed to "Digger"! It's going to be produced by Peter Jackson. The dog actually is important to the story.

Chariots of Fire - 5/10

Possibly the dullest movie i've seen in years. Even the racing scenes were terrible. Nearly all slow mo. It's one of those movies that won a ton of awards and i'll never know why.
I would say at least half the scenes felt pointless and just a waste of time. To me it makes those Merchant Ivory movies feel like a thrill ride. I actually like those.

I wish they would stop remaking classics and altering them for political correctness. Does anyone remember when we used to slam the Soviets for revisionist history? If Tatantino can use that word in every one of his films I see no reason to change the name of the original dogs.

If you are into that type of classic war film. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo and They were Expendable are must sees. Reach For the Sky. Douglas Baders tale of rejoining the RAF after losing both his legs is a great tale as well. All show the prejudices of their time in one way or another and are accurate in detail.

As an aside. Before his daughter came up with the idea of filming Memphis Belle,  William Wyler while working with the US Army in the second world war (Along with John Sturgess of Great Escape fame) were tasked with making documentaries for the war department. One of which was the first bomber to complete the 25 mission rotation, which of course turned out to be the actual Memphis Belle.They actually figured out how to mount somewhere around 30 odd cameras on the aircraft so it is fascinating footage. If you can find it I would highly recommend viewing it as it gives an intimate portrait of the mission and is in stark contrast to the dramatization his daughter put together. .

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #16,373 of 24,690
IMDB class Gone Girl as drama/mystery/thriller

I would for sure add black comedy and maybe even satire to that genre list. I personally thought that you needed to approach it as if it were a comedy to get the most out of it. I found it to be one of the more darkly humorous movies of the year, lol.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #16,374 of 24,690
I would for sure add black comedy and maybe even satire to that genre list. I personally thought that you needed to approach it as if it were a comedy to get the most out of it. I found it to be one of the more darkly humorous movies of the year, lol.

Well, if that's how you and a few other members perceive this film personally, then I guess that's your own perspectives despite this film not being regarded by its makers or critics of being regarded in that manner whatsoever.

The film is a depiction of a psychopath and the circus of the American justice system which though some may find indeed comical in a dark way, does, IMO, totally not get even close to regard this film as darkly humourous by definition of its genre category which is actually correctly categorised as "drama/mystery/thriller" (IMDB).

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #16,375 of 24,690
Well, if that's how you and a few other members perceive this film personally, then I guess that's your own perspectives despite this film not being regarded by its makers or critics of being regarded in that manner whatsoever.

The film is a depiction of a psychopath and the circus of the American justice system which though some may find indeed comical in a dark way, does, IMO, totally not get even close to regard this film as darkly humourous by definition of its genre category which is actually correctly categorised as "drama/mystery/thriller" (IMDB).

There's tons of dark humor involved. Ben Affleck's character has sarcasm built right in.

The scene with the wine bottle was dark humor itself. The audience laughed when she found out about the security cameras. The whole "Nancy Grace" character was pure satire.

Half the movie was satire, really, and it was damn funny when it wasn't being disturbing.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #16,376 of 24,690
There's tons of dark humor involved. Ben Affleck's character has sarcasm built right in.

The scene with the wine bottle was dark humor itself. The audience laughed when she found out about the security cameras. The whole "Nancy Grace" character was pure satire.

Half the movie was satire, really, and it was damn funny when it wasn't being disturbing.

News Flash:

If Gone Girl was "satire" or "dark humour" it would have been advertised as such.

But because it is not either, it is a mystery/thriller/drama as correctly cateogorised by IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2267998/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #16,377 of 24,690
News Flash:

If Gone Girl was "satire" or "dark humour" it would have been advertised as such.

But because it is not either, it is a mystery/thriller/drama as correctly cateogorised by IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2267998/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm just saying, plenty of critics, and even Fincher himself in a couple of interviews, pointed out the film's comedy and its satire (though he prefers a different term for it--vampire tragedy or something like that). Just because a movie is predominantly one genre or another doesn't mean that elements of other genres don't get mixed in. And why is IMDB's take on the genre so important? I mean, look at rateyourmusic.com's genre tags for the film: http://rateyourmusic.com/film/gone_girl/ Are they that much less valid than IMDB's tags? And for the record, Fincher has always been slippery about his genres. Fight Club is tagged as a drama on IMDB, but Fincher himself considers it to be a comedy. Can't it be both?

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #16,378 of 24,690
I'm just saying, plenty of critics, and even Fincher himself in a couple of interviews, pointed out the film's comedy and its satire (though he prefers a different term for it--vampire tragedy or something like that). Just because a movie is predominantly one genre or another doesn't mean that elements of other genres don't get mixed in. And why is IMDB's take on the genre so important? I mean, look at rateyourmusic.com's genre tags for the film: http://rateyourmusic.com/film/gone_girl/ Are they that much less valid than IMDB's tags? And for the record, Fincher has always been slippery about his genres. Fight Club is tagged as a drama on IMDB, but Fincher himself considers it to be a comedy. Can't it be both?

Ok, I've just messaged my friends who have also watched Gone Girl and asked them if they even consider it to be of any "dark humour" and all of them without any exception said it did not.

Plus, I've actual experience of being in a relationship with a guy psychopath (now totally ended) so I guess I could totally relate to certain aspects of that movie for real and I can tell you that I didn't find any dark humour whatsoever.

I also just recently watched the new hobbit movie in imax 3D and thought some of the monster characters a bit freaky/scary but I don't regard that movie as a horror, but I get your point by this in you saying you found Gone Girl as containing dark humour. I get that, that you personally found dark humour in that film, just I personally did not, for reasons already explained.

Plus, IMDB give general categorisations for genres which I guess generally reflects how people would cateogorise that film.

Anyway, Captain America 2 The Winter Soldier

6.5/10

Lots of very good action throughout but ultimately just not as good as the first film and the lead to the next film seems to have been just tagged on for good measure to let you know without doubt a third instalment is totally guaranteed.

Fans of Marvel characters should still enjoy this nontheless but makers seriously need to do better next time for it to be less forgettable IMO.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #16,379 of 24,690

I think that's more of Fincher trying to employ damage control when he realized the audience's were laughing at what he intended to be suspense building devices and horrific passages.

I mean come on folks, what on earth could be more hilarious than Dougie Howser having is throat cut by a boxcutter that appeared out of nowhere during sex?

Or Ms American Psycho herself being outwitted by 2 halfwit redneck trashbags?
Or the fact that no one recognizes her, when her picture is constantly on the tv as she sits in the room with a pair of glasses on as a "disguise".
He attempted to make a psychological thriller with B grade actors and a script that appears written by a Harlequin Romance writer. No surprise it rivals some 3 Stooges films for hilarity.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #16,380 of 24,690
I think that's more of Fincher trying to employ damage control when he realized the audience's were laughing at what he intended to be suspense building devices and horrific passages.

I mean come on folks, what on earth could be more hilarious than Dougie Howser having is throat cut by a boxcutter that appeared out of nowhere during sex?

Or Ms American Psycho herself being outwitted by 2 halfwit redneck trashbags?
Or the fact that no one recognizes her, when her picture is constantly on the tv as she sits in the room with a pair of glasses on as a "disguise".
He attempted to make a psychological thriller with B grade actors and a script that appears written by a Harlequin Romance writer. No surprise it rivals some 3 Stooges films for hilarity.

Well, IMDB rate Gone Girl 8.4/10

And rottentomatoes.com have an average viewers rating of Gone Girl of 89% and also includes this critics consensus:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gone_girl

"Dark, intelligent and stylish to a fault, Gone Girl plays to director David Fincher's sick strengths while bringing the best out of stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike"

Certainly no mention of any dark humour there anyway.

I totally get you dislike Gone Girl and surely, we all have our own subjective opinions of course, just that yours is particularly critical and outside of the general viewers consensus.

I certainly didn't find your first spoiler "hilarious", in fact I found it horrific (the scene in which you refer to) and harrowing and as for your second spoiler, she totally changed her appearance from what she was before like day to night comparison. Maybe if she had worn a comedy false nose, spectacles and moustache as disguise then I would get your point, but she didn't so I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back