Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #15,152 of 24,690
  Lincoln. Can't imagine who wouldn't like it.

I've been surprised at how many people I've come across who didn't like it...I thought it was excellent, personally. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #15,153 of 24,690
I Think it was very average.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #15,154 of 24,690
  Lincoln

I've been surprised at how many people I've come across who didn't like it...I thought it was excellent, personally. 

Historically it may seem very boring to non American audiences. An idea behind the movie is great. It is that the ruler risked his status and condition of his political side just because he decided to not compromise his humanistic values. Spielberg made an ideological film and didn't fear to be boring and not entertaining because he is SPIELBERG.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #15,156 of 24,690

OK, I'll have to take that back. Now that I think about it, I can imagine people not liking it. If you are not interested in ideas or history, I guess you wouldn't like it.

I liked it for the most part, but thought it also had some serious problems. The ending, for example--the film should have ended as Lincoln was walking down the hall to go to the theatre. That would have been a fantastic ending. The actual ending was a bit tacked on and in typical Spielberg form eye-rollingly sentimental. It's too bad his glory days as a director are past--I still think he's one of our best living directors, not that you could tell by looking at his filmography from the past 15 years or so. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #15,157 of 24,690
the film should have ended as Lincoln was walking down the hall to go to the theatre. That would have been a fantastic ending. The actual ending was a bit tacked on and in typical Spielberg form eye-rollingly sentimental.

A difference of opinion and tradeoff's, I suppose. The ending you recommend would have been elegant, just as it was elegant that they omitted the actual assassination and assassin. Maybe I would I have liked that ending better, but I didn't see the actual last scene(s) as eye-rolling bad, just cathartically painful.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #15,159 of 24,690
I kind of like the filmatisations of the novels that is not horror best. That said I also had great fun with salem´s lot. It just feels like King seldom or ever get the movies his scripts deserve but then again I have never ever watched a movie as good as the book.

Stand by me and Hearts in Atlantis is perhaps my favourites.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #15,160 of 24,690
I've watched a few Recently

8.5/10

Whoa... should have seen this sooner, has little to do with the Bike more to do with... other stuff! Nice movie, pretty dramatic and very Evengellion eske with it's slew of un answered questions [good questions] and the desire for me to re-watch the entire thing to pay better attention to it! That and the almost meta physical nature of it, good Anime Sci-Fi flick

7.8/10
Not entirely my cup of tea, little to MUCH T&A for my tastes, but I liked the presentation of it. Story was told nicely for my tastes, humor was well placed the visual where pretty epic and trippy. Granted it's rather racy but it's from the 70's so... what ever. Still not a bad flick! But a one timer for me.

8/10 

Cute movie, not as serious as the other two, nor as deep but it didn't need to be. I enjoyed the pace, like the story and people who populated it, and enjoyed the art. A good fun movie.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #15,161 of 24,690

Big mixed bag here

Story was a nice 10/10 some seriously deep stuff... ends horrifically well. I mention pace a lot, and it moves nicely. 

Now the bad

Visually it sucks, the animation is weird and kinda akward, it's overly  smooth, and some movements are very fluid and natrual... and some movements are too fluid and natrual... the art style I was fine with it,    was the nature in which it was animated, the movement that felt kinda not right. And yes it is Anime so ofc it's going to be a little skewed from reality, but where as most anime is faster than real life this was a touch slower

And the Audio... nice music but the voices where either just badly recorded on this copy I got. Or just bad, a lot of... screaming... but muffled screams, the kind of clipping I expect from a rough cut of a movie.

All in all, this would be one heck of a Manga or a book, but for a movie... meh. 

Over all maybe a 6.5/10

again GREAT story, 

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #15,163 of 24,690
I mind Requiem a LOT. I didn´t mind the original AVP lol

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #15,165 of 24,690
Lone Survivor ( 2013) 8/10

A harrowing bone-crackling blow-by-blow account of a failed reconnaissance mission that finishes with a dose of humanity.

Superb as an action movie. But that dose of humanity in the ending spoiled the movie in my opinion. Couldn't believe that an afghan tribe would risk life of the whole village in order to save a single american soldier.

The Wind Rises ( 2013) 8/10

The first anime or manga ( can't make a difference) film I watched in my life. It seems that many have found the film to be boring and I can understand why. It is not particularly entertaining. But I found it moving and poetic and very personal. I think that The Wind is my favorite among nominations for Oscar ( animation):

The Wind Rises
Frozen
Despicable Me 2
The Croods
Ernest & Celestine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back