Raptor, CTH, EF-1 Owners, I give you the Hungarian Tunsram ECC82,,!!!
May 26, 2009 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

olblueyez

Banned
The best combination of detail and warmth I have ever heard. Puts the Mullards and Siemens to shame. It has all the detail and impact of the Siemens ECC82 but it is smooth as butter and the mids are so well integrated that it puts every other 12AU7/ECC82 to shame (For me that is). My system is warm and I still think for people with a bright rig something in the way of a 5963/5814A Sylvania GB would be just as nice but it will never match the detail retrieval of this Hungarian tube. As compared to the Siemens it has more bass weight and impact. The mids and highs are smoother and it will provide more detail and especially one thing the Siemens is missing, timbre. Another improvement over the Siemens is the sound stage is enormous, and very 3 dimensional. In one sentence, "This is the most (((musical))) ECC82 I have experienced." At the moment I am using it with the RCA Black plate 5687's but I will soon be trying it with the Gold Pin GB 5687's.
wink.gif

JK I am floored, I just cant beleive how good this tube sounds.

Disclaimer: I am experiencing new tube wood and I still beleive the Siemens and GB Sylvanias to be super good tubes and synergy will depend on your system. I will say this is not short term wood however.

May 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 77
Grrr, and I just got the Mullard for my EF1 too!!
tongue.gif

But the price is attractive compared to the mullards. So if I'm understanding this correctly it'll retain the general qualities of the mullards but have a bigger soundstage and more refined overall?

How is it with your HD650? My rig falls well short of yours but it'd be good to know how it sounds in general with it. I'd reckon it'd be good with K701 if it has those warm qualities.

May 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grrr, and I just got the Mullard for my EF1 too!!
tongue.gif

But the price is attractive compared to the mullards. So if I'm understanding this correctly it'll retain the general qualities of the mullards but have a bigger soundstage and more refined overall?

How is it with your HD650? My rig falls well short of yours but it'd be good to know how it sounds in general with it. I'd reckon it'd be good with K701 if it has those warm qualities.

Both the long and short plate mullards are syrupy and slow compared to the Tungsram. I have always found that most tubes provide (detail and speed) or (warmth and are slow), The Siemens was the smoothest tube with detail and speed, until now. The Tungsram adds bass weight only found on some of the slower, warmer tubes and BETTERS the detail of the Siemens and all that with smoother mids and highs. It also has a much better 3 dimensional presentation than the famous Amprex 7316, I'm telling you this sucker has it all. One thing I want to mention is it has all the qualities I describe but it has no flaws, I am able to find some kind of flaw with most tubes and I swear this tube combines all those qualities without attracting attention to any one part of the music. I just told my wife its time to sell of some of my gain tubes so I can stock up on these.

Get your credit card out and either find one at eBay or order the sucker from Russia, just do it now!!!

HOLLY GUACAMOLE I FOUND MY FAVORITE GAIN TUBE,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, it ****in rocks with my 650's!

May 27, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 77
Shouldn't this be on the Raptor tube rolling thread?
wink.gif

Sold out, boss! You think you could have given me a heads up before you told everyone else!
tongue.gif
A question; I see these are NOS, but is there still a Tungsram? And you didn't mention how you came upon them.

Hanson

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disclaimer: I am experiencing new tube wood and I still beleive the Siemens and GB Sylvanias to be super good tubes and synergy will depend on your system. I will say this is not short term wood however.

I don't get it. What do you mean by wood?

May 27, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 77
I should have bought some more for myself before I told everyone else. I don't know if there is a correlation between Tungsram and a newer company or if they are still around. You can find them on eBay and some other tube shops, they wont be as cheap though. I have tried most of the ECC82 tubes and always have my eye out for something different. I had seen these but assumed they were Russian type crap. I read a small synopsis of the tube somewhere and the description sounded intriguing so I went looking for one. If I had any clue as to how nice they sound I would have bought 3 or 4 for myself. Sometimes you just have to try them out, even if its a hunch.

May 27, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bah, it seems the only ones I can find now are more pricey so I'll stick with what I have/am already getting.

Get a pair for 46 bucks and split it with someone.

My love for this tube is not just a spark, but a flame, a big roaring flame!!!

May 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #13 of 77
Just placed an order for these tubes! - and I don't even have my raptor yet :p - can't wait to try it out.

May 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 77
If any of you guys have David Sanborn - Lotus Blossom, take a listen to the Xylophone and the piano. It will blow your mind. vic1890, what will you be using for driver tubes?

Man I am so glad I risked having my wife snip my nuts off for buying another tube. Just wait till she figures out I bought two more just like it!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 77
I'm not sure yet - my raptor is actually from Felix. So for now, I'll try out the tubes included in the sale (almost all of them, except his mullards)

any idea which of these will go well with them?

TungSol 5687 Black Ribbed Plates
Sylvania GB 5687
Amperex PQ 7119

hehe, hide those other two tubes before she finds out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If any of you guys have David Sanborn - Lotus Blossom, take a listen to the Xylophone and the piano. It will blow your mind. vic1890, what will you be using for driver tubes?

Man I am so glad I risked having my wife snip my nuts off for buying another tube. Just wait till she figures out I bought two more just like it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back