Raptor, CTH, EF-1 Owners, I give you the Hungarian Tunsram ECC82,,!!!
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #76 of 77
I think this tube is starting to become one of my favourites now! Any concern I had with this with the K701 is now gone; I officially like it better with the Tungsrams than I did with the Mullard Short Plate. I can see how some people may think that it's on bit of a bright side, but here's the thing: K701 actually rolls off the top highs a bit, so this tube helps a lot with that. It also extends the sub bass a bit as well, another welcome change with K701. Otherwise, I find that it's DEAD NEUTRAL, with no artificial boost evident in any part of the freq range. This is compared to Mullard short plate that actually boosted the already-high upper midrange on the K701 to painful levels sometimes, and it also boosted the midbass of K701 bit too much, to the point of it sounding too plastic. Tungsram wins!

So naturally it sounds great with the HD650 as well. You do lose bit of the midrange detailing that the Mullards gave, but it's more natural overall IMO, and midbass is tamed well. Boost in the top highs is welcome as always with HD650's. And as I mentioned before, this tube is wide as hell, and is super, super fast.... actually, almost too fast I find coming from the Mullards... but it really does make for a more exciting listen. I'd encourge owners of K701's or HD650's to give it a shot (But with Grados or Denons, probably not).

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #77 of 77
this is just an awsome tube! i am using it for 4 days now and absolutely having a lot of fun with it. it's very neutral and going well with my tape moded RS1. the extended highs are just in the right amount IMO.

I am enjoying it so much that i have a tung-sol tube that arrived three days ago that is waiting for me to try it out, but i just can't stop listening with the tungsram.
i will try the tung-sol this evening. i am excited..i wonder how the tung-sol is compard to the tubgsram. I hope it doesn't loses the great tungsram's high tones, and i think it supposed to be a slight warner than the tungsram.

right now there is a very difficult competition between the tungsram and the rca clear top.
they are both my two favourite tubes so far.
AH... and the tungsram is my first tube that really glows! this is awsome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back