Raptor, CTH, EF-1 Owners, I give you the Hungarian Tunsram ECC82,,!!!
May 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TungSol 5687 Black Ribbed Plates
Sylvania GB 5687
Amperex PQ 7119

Everyone seems to think the Tungsol is such a great driver tube for the Raptor and to be honest, I just don't get it. They don't synergize well with many tubes, they have an overwhelming punch in the mid bass that doesn't mesh well with any tube with some warmth. Personally I think a lot of the tube vendors push them because they are readily available.

The GB 5687 is a really nice tube and adds an overall warmth and smoothness to whatever gain tube your using. This will be nice to add with your Tungsram is you have a bright set of cans like some Grados or AKG's, they add some bass weight as well. I decided not to try them with the Tungsram because it is plenty warm with my 650's.

I have not tried the Amperex 7119 as they don't go for cheap and I am loaded with tubes already. Based on what I know about Tungsol, Sylvania GB, and Amperex this will probably be your favorite driver tube to start with.

I highly recommend you seek out some black plate RCA 5687 driver tubes, they synergize well with just about every gain tube I have and they do nothing more than get the hell out of the way so you can hear the gain tube. If you want to know what they add to the sound it would be dynamics. They offer a nice big unobstructed window for the gain tube to shine through and they don't slow down the music. Oh, I forgot, Bronze plate RCA's are great too, I cant seem to tell the difference between bronze and black plate tubes.

One thing to keep in mind, something I learned the hard way. It is easier to take a speedy detailed gain tube and warm it up a bit with some warm driver tubes. It is basically impossible to add detail or speed to a warm gain tube with bright drivers. This is why I have come to settle on the Siemens and Tungsram gain tubes, they both have detail and speed without sounding harsh like an RCA cleartop and making either tube warmer is just a matter of popping in some nice warm drivers like the Sylvania GB 5687's.

May 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 77
bah!..my tube budget just got blown out of the water..dropped 145$ on a matched pair of NOS 6N30P-DR supertubes for the EHHA..guess I will have to make do with the Siemens E82CC for now on the CTH.

May 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 77
Olblueyez, what do think of the Phillips Miniwatt ECC82s (Made in Holland). I snagged a couple from Blackmore a couple of weeks ago.. It's sounding quite nice in my CTH right now..

Smeggy, I have to admit I snapped them up from under your nose. If you want to buy one, I'll sell you one for $12.50(shipped)

May 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Olblueyez, what do think of the Phillips Miniwatt ECC82s (Made in Holland). I snagged a couple from Blackmore a couple of weeks ago.. It's sounding quite nice in my CTH right now..

Smeggy, I have to admit I snapped them up from under your nose. If you want to buy one, I'll sell you one for $12.50(shipped)

I'll take you up on that offer if Smeggy doesn't

May 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 77
I haven't tried the Miniwatt but I have some 7316's and they are very nice tubes. Very balanced, smooth, no coloration, nice big sound stage. to me the Holland tubes sound like a high end solid state amp.

May 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 77
Sachu, what about your "Tube Budget"?
atsmile.gif

May 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 77
Thanks for the heads up. I managed to snag one and noticed there were only three left after I placed my order. Since you sacrificed for the cause, if for some reason is doesn't sit well with me I'll let you know so you can have dibs on it.

May 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevtt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up. I managed to snag one and noticed there were only three left after I placed my order. Since you sacrificed for the cause, if for some reason is doesn't sit well with me I'll let you know so you can have dibs on it.

I bought a pair on fleabay. But I do need to say it is very thoughtfull of you to consider others before you have the tube in your hands. That being said, you will not want to get rid of this tube.
wink_face.gif

May 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #29 of 77
What would be the good price for a pair of Tungsram?

From your impressions I am thinking of Tung Sols 12AU7 Black glass, black, long plates, D-getter, however they arent smooth or creamy, they are rich sounding with great bass, silky top end and very balanced overall.

Ever tried them?

May 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #30 of 77
There are quite a few variants of the Tungsram ECC82, but from what I can tell those are from the mid 70's (although it's a little tough to tell).

The great thing about tubes is that there is almost always a tube that will float someone's boat! I have never tried these, will have to snag a pair. Thanks OBE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back