RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
May 9, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #736 of 821
Having spent some time with a 'proper' BCD implementation in the Legend Evo, I have a lot more respect for what Raptgo delivered with the Hook X. Tbh, I find FIR's approach with the ear side firing dynamic to be far better than both, and that's just leveraging additional coupling from their dynamic... I am excited to see what Raptgo achieve here for such a low price!

Me too. Mine shipped today. They should be hyping it as a DD/PZT/AMT/2xBA set. Sounds way sexier. :wink:

May 15, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #737 of 821
I knew I had seen something similar before…RAPTGO BRIDGE and FINAL AUDIO A8000
Already ordered blue ones for my PS5
I have a feeling that this set can be very good for gaming.It even looks like made for gamers.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.png
    IMG_0049.png
    211 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0048.png
    IMG_0048.png
    89 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #743 of 821
Intrigued to hear yours and others on here impressions.

I’m really happy with it. It presents excellent detail, fast and lush bass, crisp and extended treble, appropriate level of sub-bass…

I tried the various filters and switches. At the moment I’m settling on OFF/OFF with the silver filter and S&S tips.

More soon…

May 20, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #744 of 821
Honestly, I’m trying very hard to find material that doesn’t work with the Bridge. These have excellent soundstage, very detailed treble, fully articulated bass, above average separation and placement… they are very VERY good. The prediction that they’d be too bright and harsh like the Stellaris? Nope. Not even close. These aren’t bright/cold. They’re largely neutral/warm. They especially excel with instrumental music and anything mixed with a lot of presence and air. Portishead for example sounds mind blowing through these.

May 20, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #745 of 821
Honestly, I’m trying very hard to find material that doesn’t work with the Bridge. These have excellent soundstage, very detailed treble, fully articulated bass, above average separation and placement… they are very VERY good. The prediction that they’d be too bright and harsh like the Stellaris? Nope. Not even close. These aren’t bright/cold. They’re largely neutral/warm. They especially excel with instrumental music and anything mixed with a lot of presence and air. Portishead for example sounds mind blowing through these.
So, being warmer, would you say that these would sound good with metal, rock, prog rock, etc...?

Edit: I may have to wait for a little bit though, I just (finally) picked up a set of the Hifiman RE800 (just came in today). :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #746 of 821
So, being warmer, would you say that these would sound good with metal, rock, prog rock, etc...?

Edit: I may have to wait for a little bit though, I just (finally) picked up a set of the Hifiman RE800 (just came in today). :)

Given the fast bass response, yes. I’ve played both genres through these pretty extensively at this point. In this case it’s the mids and bass that stand out. Like Hook-X the bass has a really unique quality thanks to the PZT driver. It’s hard to explain but you know it when you hear it.

But yeah, waiting is fine. These aren’t going anywhere.

May 20, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #747 of 821
Given the fast bass response, yes. I’ve played both genres through these pretty extensively at this point. In this case it’s the mids and bass that stand out. Like Hook-X the bass has a really unique quality thanks to the PZT driver. It’s hard to explain but you know it when you hear it.

But yeah, waiting is fine. These aren’t going anywhere.
Excellent news then... Thanks for sharing this. :)

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #749 of 821
Raptgo should probably have it’s own thread at this point.

Anyway…

I’ve been trying to figure out both how to describe and what mechanism is at work making the Bridge sound the way it does. How does it sound? Well, it’s a lot like the Hook-X in general signature but with a much larger stage, a much more open and airy top end and a visceral bass that has a really unique texture to it.

It appears from the marketing material that the “special sauce” is what they’re calling “Sound Superposition Compensation Effect.” According to their literature the 6mm DD is wired in “succession” with the PZT. As far as I can tell from the diagram and from some Web searching, it seems as if they’re using the 6mm’s output as kind of a carrier wave that is then overlaid with the PZT’s output resulting in a combined waveform. The PZT wave is placed in superposition with the BA wave leading to positive volume compensation for the nominally quiet PZT output. They describe the PZT as effecting the whole frequency range in this configuration and I think that’s correct. The combined driver unit is sitting behind a relatively large grill opening where much of the rumble seems to originate. As though the sound is coming from both the nozzle and the vent, which is in contact with the ear. What you get is that same unique Hook-X rumble and sparkle only amped up so that you can absolutely hear and feel the quality of it. The result is a highly technical sound with massive detail and a big soundstage without the sharpness of some treble focused sets and without the boom of some bass focused sets. Meanwhile the mids are creammmmy.

Yeah. Bridge. It’s really good.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #750 of 821
Raptgo should probably have it’s own thread at this point.

Anyway…

I’ve been trying to figure out both how to describe and what mechanism is at work making the Bridge sound the way it does. How does it sound? Well, it’s a lot like the Hook-X in general signature but with a much larger stage, a much more open and airy top end and a visceral bass that has a really unique texture to it.

It appears from the marketing material that the “special sauce” is what they’re calling “Sound Superposition Compensation Effect.” According to their literature the 6mm DD is wired in “succession” with the PZT. As far as I can tell from the diagram and from some Web searching, it seems as if they’re using the 6mm’s output as kind of a carrier wave that is then overlaid with the PZT’s output resulting in a combined waveform. The PZT wave is placed in superposition with the BA wave leading to positive volume compensation for the nominally quiet PZT output. They describe the PZT as effecting the whole frequency range in this configuration and I think that’s correct. The combined driver unit is sitting behind a relatively large grill opening where much of the rumble seems to originate. As though the sound is coming from both the nozzle and the vent, which is in contact with the ear. What you get is that same unique Hook-X rumble and sparkle only amped up so that you can absolutely hear and feel the quality of it. The result is a highly technical sound with massive detail and a big soundstage without the sharpness of some treble focused sets and without the boom of some bass focused sets. Meanwhile the mids are creammmmy.

Yeah. Bridge. It’s really good.
Thank you for your impressions! :)

I have 2 questions, please

1) How does it compare with the 7Hz Timeless AE?
2) Have you ever heard any IMR IEM? How would it compare with the Elan+ for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back