Rap Sucks
Nov 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #602 of 782
Quote:
It saddens me how little head-fi'er knows about rap.
Eminem, Jay z, Beastie boys?? What's next Marky mark and the funky bunch?
They are the beats by dre of the rap world

I feel you, Jazy-Z, Puff Daddy, etc - bunch of studio gangsters. If you're gonna rap about the street life or about being "haaard", you should prob have spent some time outside kicking up dust

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #603 of 782
The Roots - Phrenology, Gang Star- Hard to Earn, Guru - Jazzamatazz, J Dilla - Donuts, Dälek - Abandoned Language, A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Common - Like Water for Chocolate, Mos Def - Black on Both Sides, DJ Shadoow - Endtroducing, Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein, GZA Liquid Swords, Raekwon -Only Built for Cuban Links RZA smashed those two, Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma, Gonja Sufi - MUZZLE, Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions.

A small cross section of a genre that's provided countless hours of enjoyment over 25 years. I don't expect people to like what I like and I'll accept my own ignorance of a large section of music. But I won't claim that a genre that I'm ignorant of is worthless because it would only be my opinion of it that was worthless.

Real appreciation of any genre requires some effort, if a sound isn't doing it for you may choose not to make the effort to explore it. That's fine life's too short for some to investigate stuff that may lead to a dead end for them but it doesn't excuse the kind of crass ignorance that asserts a genre that diverse is worthless or crap. You're not just disrespecting a genre you're disrespecting the opinions of those that have spent significantly more time and effort exploring it. 

Rant over

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #604 of 782
Quote:

edit: Hey RoMee care to share some of your favorite hip hop artists or some of your beloved tracks??? Would love to know what you jam to buddy.

Just to name a few, Bloods & Crips Bangin' on Wax, Piru Love is one of my favorite track on this album, Warren G Regulate album, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony(before the Mo Thug crap), Spice 1, Too Short, C-BO (His earlier stuff), etc. 
Some random tracks are Scarface-I Never Seen a Man Cry (until I see a man die), Master P- Ice Cream Man, Spice 1 Welcome to the Ghetto, The Luniz-I got Five on it.....

Mostly old school stuff. They still bring back memories when we use to hotbox in my cutlass with a few 12" Fosgate in the back rattling the trunk.

To me The Up In Smoke Tour marked the end of real Rap. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #605 of 782
Quote:
I didn't even bother to read any of the comments. How does a thread like this get 40 pages of replies?

This thread sucks and I am certain of this fact which I claim to be true.

Dood, that's why to have to UN_SUCK this thread with some quality posts. Canned flaming post like these is why it sucks and I think OP needs to get an award for this great trolling thread, cuz how it went all the way back to '03 and keeps getting resurrected from the grave. LoL This is not a bad thread per se, there are a lot of quality posts scattered throughout so...........kinda makes it a semi-fun read.

oh i think a lot of people have never heard of Ballad rap, esp. Americans cuz this form seems to be unique to Asia. haha

If you like mainstream classical music.........................that is laced with hip hop/ rap.....those crazy Asians. Such a sad T__T MV.

OMG i almost forgot about this one.........the creativity on this song/ MV is nuts yo!!!

Guess you can call these emo/ love rap. LoL

@RoMee
I heard of some of the artist you mentioned esp. Bone Thugs, yeah and it seems they went down hill long ago. They might be too old school for me. haha I'll check all of them out for sure though. 

Gotta disagree with you, hiphop is so good right now I don't miss the "golden era" whatsoever. Even in the mainstream despite all the crap there are a lot of interesting things happening. New styles forming/ new artists stepping up, so I am pretty happy to see where it is gonna go.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #606 of 782
Quote:
Dood, that's why to have to UN_SUCK this thread with some quality posts. Canned flaming post like these is why it sucks and I think OP needs to get an award to this great trolling thread, cuz how it goes back all the way to '03 and keeps getting resurrected from the grave. LoL This is not a bad thread per se, there are a lot of quality posts scattered throughout so...........kinda makes it a semi-fun read.

oh i think a lot of people have never heard of Ballad rap, esp. Americans cuz this form seems to be unique to Asia. haha

If you like mainstream classical music.........................that is laced with hip hop/ rap.....those crazy Asians. Such a sad T__T MV.

Guess you can call these emo/ love rap. LoL

@RoMee
I heard of some of the artist you mentioned esp. Bone Thugs, yeah and it seems they went down hill long ago. They might be too old school for me. haha I'll check all of them out for sure though. 

Gotta disagree with you, hiphop is so good right now I don't miss the "golden era" whatsoever. Even in the mainstream despite all the crap there are a lot of interesting things happening. New styles forming/ new artists stepping up, so I am pretty happy to see where it is gonna go.

I just noticed they are 20+ years old in the game but if you can listen to Wu-Tang and Nas, these guys are not that old

Golden Era had a sort of cerebral lyrical feel to mcs back then especially with NY-area rappers like Pun and L, you don't hear that at all today

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #607 of 782
Quote:

I just noticed they are 20+ years old in the game but if you can listen to Wu-Tang and Nas, these guys are not that old

Golden Era had a sort of cerebral lyrical feel to mcs back then especially with NY-area rappers like Pun and L, you don't hear that at all today

Yeah i know they are not that old per se, but there is just that dustiness factor to them. haha Nas' "Life is Good" is a good album but has zero replay value for me, as common's recent album to be as well, sigh.  Maybe it is that old school flow/ style that got a lil' bit boring, i dunno, there is something about it for me..........

Care to elaborate what you mean by "cerebral lyrical" feel/ style??? You mean DAT NYC SWAG? LoL

Artist's today still got that though............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtqtZ9V7Xw&feature=plcp

Inspirational............

Bangers!!!

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #609 of 782
Quote:
Homeboy Sandman, Oddisee, Spaceghostpurrp, El-P, Shabazz Palaces, Sene all making interesting stuff, Big Boi with an album coming same with Cannibal Ox

Yeppp, Homeboy Sandman is nuts haha, that fool is funny as hell, so clever. Heard some of EI-P stuff but didn't get hooked to it, gonna need to check all the other ones you listed as well, thanks!

Oh Can Ox is was kinda hard for me to get into but I can dig their sound, it's so winter music, you got to be in that "mood" it seems.......
triportsad.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #610 of 782
Don't know why I even feel compelled to post in this thread. Kinda surprised the entire topic hasn't been locked because it is just asking for offensive arguments.

But in any case. Rap just like any other genre I take song by song. The only thing negative I can say is that there are a lot of really ingenious songs out there with a real nice lyrical flow as well as the overall musical production but they are ruined for me because of the content. Some of the messages of violence and sex, durg use and "how awesome I am" are getting tiresome to me.

It is the only thing that bothers me when a good, well produced song, is ruined for me with content.

But on the other hand this also goes for any genre just the same. I don't like it when lyrics or vocals become a distraction to the rest of the music. Evanessence is an example for me. Good music great vocalist. But she just never shuts up...... she just goes on and on and on and on the component parts of the lyrical flow are all just melded together in one long "rant" almost (if that makes sense) which is why despite loving her voice and the band idea I can only tolerate a couple of tracks.

Another similar example to me is the sudden popularity over the last decade of revengeful songs from female artists toward their BF's. I'm just like "oh no not another "scratch the key into the side of the pretty little suped up 4 wheel drive" song.

But in general I seem to enjoy silly type rap topics. Just rhyming for the sake of rhyming. Flowing for the sake of the flow not so much fitting into a certain stereotype which has long since been played out all the way back to 2live crew and NWA. I hate when sports celebs talk about how great they are and I feel no different about rappers. It ruins it for me.

I can appreciate true genius in terms of double meanings and plays on words used by Jay Z and such despite topic but he generally does not focus entirely on the same old stuff. I have always liked collaborations (Jay Z Linkin Park being one of my fave albums) all the way back to Run DMC and Aerosmith teaming up with Walk this Way. Beastie boys are unfairly generalized as they have a lot of versatility as a band. They have good and bad songs. They have a lot of instrumentals and even punk songs.

Anyway enough of my preferences, the point is that I completely agree condemning an entire genre of music is not fair. You could list the reasons you "hate rap" and I am sure someone on here can find you a song that doesn't have the components that you "hate" since the genre spreads across almost every major genre in musicality.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #611 of 782
Most of the stuff I listen to is old school, but that don't mean I don't listen to the newer rap too. Wiz Khalifa has some insane bass on his tracks, Pitbull as well.

Also, the problem with thread like these is when people start to think their opinion is fact and start insulting others for not hating what they hate.
Me, I don't like classical, it's boring as hell, I rather watch grass grow, but I also know I have no right to say it sucks just because it's not my flavor.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #612 of 782
Quote:
Don't know why I even feel compelled to post in this thread. Kinda surprised the entire topic hasn't been locked because it is just asking for offensive arguments.
But in any case. Rap just like any other genre I take song by song. The only thing negative I can say is that there are a lot of really ingenious songs out there with a real nice lyrical flow as well as the overall musical production but they are ruined for me because of the content. Some of the messages of violence and sex, durg use and "how awesome I am" are getting tiresome to me.
It is the only thing that bothers me when a good, well produced song, is ruined for me with content.
But on the other hand this also goes for any genre just the same. I don't like it when lyrics or vocals become a distraction to the rest of the music. Evanessence is an example for me. Good music great vocalist. But she just never shuts up...... she just goes on and on and on and on the component parts of the lyrical flow are all just melded together in one long "rant" almost (if that makes sense) which is why despite loving her voice and the band idea I can only tolerate a couple of tracks.
Another similar example to me is the sudden popularity over the last decade of revengeful songs from female artists toward their BF's. I'm just like "oh no not another "scratch the key into the side of the pretty little suped up 4 wheel drive" song.
But in general I seem to enjoy silly type rap topics. Just rhyming for the sake of rhyming. Flowing for the sake of the flow not so much fitting into a certain stereotype which has long since been played out all the way back to 2live crew and NWA. I hate when sports celebs talk about how great they are and I feel no different about rappers. It ruins it for me.
I can appreciate true genius in terms of double meanings and plays on words used by Jay Z and such despite topic but he generally does not focus entirely on the same old stuff. I have always liked collaborations (Jay Z Linkin Park being one of my fave albums) all the way back to Run DMC and Aerosmith teaming up with Walk this Way. Beastie boys are unfairly generalized as they have a lot of versatility as a band. They have good and bad songs. They have a lot of instrumentals and even punk songs.
Anyway enough of my preferences, the point is that I completely agree condemning an entire genre of music is not fair. You could list the reasons you "hate rap" and I am sure someone on here can find you a song that doesn't have the components that you "hate" since the genre spreads across almost every major genre in musicality.

LoL, kinda funny to see you here doc da bot.
biggrin.gif
  ^ Very well written right there, could not agree with you more!!!

I don't think this thread should be locked down, even though it might seem to be an obvious "troll" thread/ topic cuz I believe in freedom of speech and expression. And OP have the right to express his views, even though it might not seem to be PC and all.

Yeppp, like most mainstream music sex, drugs, and violence is what sells sadly and rap/ hip hop is no exception. Hence that is why you have to differentiate between corporate mainstream rap/ hip hop music that uses it to sell a product or a lifestyle, etc as opposed to a lot of the other artists out there that are doing it for not just the $$$ but the love of the music as well. Not saying i don't like mainstream stuff, I love catchy tunes as well but relatability is key it seems. I can't relate to all that bling bling, bang bang crap that are so prevalent and is promoted in MTV etc, it's all just nonsense entertainment.  

Doc I got a perfect song just for your funky self, haha.............. this is so stupid funky genius!

ahahahahaha Zzz~~~Zzzz~Zzzzzzzs had me dying!

Hey doc you got a warning from Currawong as well, LMAO love your avatar! You been a bad bot!

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #613 of 782
Quote:
Yeah i know they are not that old per se, but there is just that dustiness factor to them. haha Nas' "Life is Good" is a good album but has zero replay value for me, as common's recent album to be as well, sigh.  Maybe it is that old school flow/ style that got a lil' bit boring, i dunno, there is something about it for me..........

Care to elaborate what you mean by "cerebral lyrical" feel/ style??? You mean DAT NYC SWAG? LoL

Artist's today still got that though............

I hate posting just tracks and no vid from youtube but I can't find any other vids

4 New York rappers, funny you mention SWAG, many hip-hop heads can agree the Wu was one of the first ones to present their music in such a manner

Big Pun, soft beat but the flow is still killer and tight

And the Yonkers Kings, LOX and DMX

and other NY rappers that still resonate from that style

joell, jada and saigon

You can hear it in the lyrics, flow, conviction in their rhymes, etc...nobody mainstream has this, Nas constantly puts this out, Jay is falling off and these two have been considered top 5 dead or alive

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #614 of 782
The ways in which I understand and appreciate rap as a poetic art boils down to its fundamentals: rhymes that stretch the boundaries of formal linguistics. Although I concede to the fact that a lot of rap artists employ explicit language and content to add gritty pizzazz to their lyrical arsenal, judging the quality of their prose solely on the merits of vulgarity disregards the contexts in which it derives from. It's quite ironic to find comments that generalize rap as just “speaking over a single drum beat” on a forum dedicated to appreciating the nuances in music. Producing a hip hop beat goes beyond simple and repetitive sampling of bars; a typical (not exceptional) beat is an amalgamation of 10-20 layers of (often unique) compositions accompanying a sample, if any. 

I can understand the notion of rap being non-musical for some, but the beats, relatively speaking, is the least important aspect of rap. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, rap can be described as “percussive poetry” in the most musical sense. So then, what of the poetry itself? Rap is all about the lyrics, rhymes, and wordplay. The sheer level of linguistic technicality is simply unmatched in most other genres. Rap incorporates the same literary and poetic strategies employed by written and spoken poetry as fundamental as Shakespeare and Poe. The rhymes are often multi-syllabic, and every syllable acts as a musical note on a sheet which can be manipulated within the confines of the time signature. In short, it’s a composition.

Poetic rhyming is essential for the art (i.e., not literal). As Eminem demonstrated in "60 Minutes," nothing rhymes with the word "orange" exactly when taking the word at face value, but bending its enunciation, into two or three distinct syllables, creates an entirely new suite of expressions:  o-range, door-hinge, por-ridge, o-ran-ges, sy-rin-ges, etc. This, to me, is the true art of rap where the creativity starts to take over.

And what of the rhetorical devices found in both rap and poetry? Alliteration (there are some songs that go through the entire alphabet), allusion, assonance (“you'll never slOw the mOmentum at any mOment, I'm about to blOw, killin' the flOw, slOw, venOm any oppOnent is gettin' nO...”), metaphor, repetition (akin to recitative in classical), personification ("I Gave You Power," Nas rapping as a Desert Eagle), onomatopoeia, and the list continues. Rap incorporates all these; its lyrics demand analyses. And this is only the technical aspect of rap, which I’m obsessed with. Writing rap verses turns into a fun puzzle for me in this way, trying to convey a message in as many rhymes with words previously thought impossible.

Sure, mainstream rap tends to glorify the superficial, but I still enjoy listening to some of them for their fun delivery and catchy (but often shallow) rhyme schemes. The content matters not to me for these and I just concentrate on the technicalities. As much as I love and appreciate the complexities in classical genres, there are times that I just want to listen and recite to something fun, mindless, and even silly. It’s the classic underground vs. mainstream paradigm, akin to owning HD800 for critical listening vs. HFi-780 for casual/fun listening. I won't even go into the intelligent, socially conscious, or even experimental aspects of rap (the likes of Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, and Deltron 3030, respectively) that are both technical and lyrical on a whole new level.

I apologize for the long post; I’m just very passionate about hip hop. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #615 of 782
LoL, kinda funny to see you here doc da bot. :D   ^ Very well written right there, could not agree with you more!!!
LMAO love your avatar!

Thanks for the vid bud. Similar flavor but not my thing.

Hey just out of curiosity. See if you can find a song called "Anger" by a band called Downset. Tell me if you like it. Saw those guys in my youth.

Avatar explanation is linked in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back