Rap Sucks
Dec 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #616 of 782
^ AMEN!!! @razevi3

@kami
That's what I am talking out, kinda know what you mean. Loving all the vids you linked, and is it just me or does Papoose sound like Jay Z in that vid??? I think the term that sortta encapsulates what you are trying to say is going "HAM" on them beats. Kinda like going in and killing the beats with crazy word play and flow sparked by the love/ passion in the gut for the music.

These are similar............??? Well it's pretty hard to find any good stuff in the mainstream regardless of the genre so....

This one is pretty nice.

@doc
haha yeah Homeboy Sandman is an acquired taste for sure but that MV sure is funny as hell though. I wouldn't call myself a huge fan as well, but interesting stuff nonetheless.

I see, right it's that time of the month again.
wink_face.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #617 of 782
Quote:
^ AMEN!!! @razevi3

@kami
That's what I am talking out, kinda know what you mean. Loving all the vids you linked, and is it just me or does Papoose sound like Jay Z in that vid??? I think the term that sortta encapsulates what you are trying to say is going "HAM" on them beats. Kinda like going in and killing the beats with crazy word play and flow sparked by the love/ passion in the gut for the music.

These are similar............??? Well it's pretty hard to find any good stuff in the mainstream regardless of the genre so....

This one is pretty nice.

@doc
haha yeah Homeboy Sandman is an acquired taste for sure but that MV sure is funny as hell though. I wouldn't call myself a huge fan as well, but interesting stuff nonetheless.

I see, right it's that time of the month again.
wink_face.gif

They are close yes, a little rambly for my liking but that's just me

What you will notice from the mcs I posted are that they are all cypher/battle tested, so the things you describe them are exactly what you wanna would sorta like "they got something to prove" in each track

Mos Def, representing Brooklyn

AZ, one of the most underrated MCs ever

Guru of Gang Starr, classic MC

about Pap sounding like Jay, Jay got his style from Nas and Biggie, If he never switched his style up to what you hear now, he would sound like Big Daddy Kane on every track he's on

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #618 of 782
Quote:
Dood, that's why to have to UN_SUCK this thread with some quality posts. Canned flaming post like these is why it sucks and I think OP needs to get an award for this great trolling thread, cuz how it went all the way back to '03 and keeps getting resurrected from the grave. LoL This is not a bad thread per se, there are a lot of quality posts scattered throughout so...........kinda makes it a semi-fun read.

oh i think a lot of people have never heard of Ballad rap, esp. Americans cuz this form seems to be unique to Asia. haha

If you like mainstream classical music.........................that is laced with hip hop/ rap.....those crazy Asians. Such a sad T__T MV.

Your sarcasm detector appear to be broken.

"I didn't even bother to read any of the comments. How does a thread like this get 40 pages of replies?

This thread sucks and I am certain of this fact which I claim to be true."

Now compare that to what OP has said when he talked about rap.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #619 of 782
Quote:
Your sarcasm detector appear to be broken.

"I didn't even bother to read any of the comments. How does a thread like this get 40 pages of replies?

This thread sucks and I am certain of this fact which I claim to be true."

Now compare that to what OP has said when he talked about rap.

Well, yeah.........
redface.gif
But flaming both ways is counterproductive so.....................
tongue.gif

@doc hey i checked out that Downset "Anger" MV, not bad, kinda reminds me of old school Linkin Park but more hardcore and anti "da man" LoL
The screaming on it is not bad haha but is it not as guud as this screaming, well that Downset song is better overall but this one is more catchy/ mainstream and the youngin' will enjoy it more. heeeee

..........not the best collabs but it is what it is.

@Kami
those guys are kinda dusty.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #620 of 782
@doc hey i checked out that Downset "Anger" MV, not bad, kinda reminds me of old school Linkin Park but more hardcore and anti "da man" LoL
The screaming on it is not bad haha but is it not as guud as this screaming, well that Downset song is better overall but this one is more catchy/ mainstream and the youngin' will enjoy it more. heeeee

vid wldn't play.

I don't know what made me think of Downset earlier. Prolly just the different combinations of music genres that make a nice mix. In this case hardcore punk and rap.

That song was originally available on their 7" vinal. This was shortly after Zach from Rage ATM had stopped his "Inside Out" hardcore punk band and started getting big with Rage. Downset was kind of meant to be competition so to speak to Rage. The orginal song actually stated in the lyrics "Zach what u know about a set or a sign? Fake mutha****** aint neva seen a nine". When the CD version was released the lyrics were changed to "Fool what u know...."

Downset eventually fizzled out and Rage went on to go mainstream. It was rumored that the two bands actually ended up getting along when they actually met which was the reason for the change fo lyrics.

Didn't think to ask zach about it when I met him.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #621 of 782
Dusty has to be the wierdest adjective for an mc ever lol

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #622 of 782
Quote:
vid wldn't play.
I don't know what made me think of Downset earlier. Prolly just the different combinations of music genres that make a nice mix. In this case hardcore punk and rap.
That song was originally available on their 7" vinal. This was shortly after Zach from Rage ATM had stopped his "Inside Out" hardcore punk band and started getting big with Rage. Downset was kind of meant to be competition so to speak to Rage. The orginal song actually stated in the lyrics "Zach what u know about a set or a sign? Fake mutha****** aint neva seen a nine". When the CD version was released the lyrics were changed to "Fool what u know...."
Downset eventually fizzled out and Rage went on to go mainstream. It was rumored that the two bands actually ended up getting along when they actually met which was the reason for the change fo lyrics.

hmmmm thats some interesting insights, never heard of Zach before, need to check them out for sure, Damn an nu-metal beef between these groups with have been amazing. Think of the possible drama, or maybe not. LoL You done goofed doc, could have gotten some juicy insider gossip but........

The vid plays fine for me, you're not missing much but here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM6wuVudnP8

@Kami
Forgot to make my point on battle rappers turning into artist/ professional musicians. I dunno, lots seems to have a really difficult time crossing this divide. Many great battle rappers are great at battling but once they try to release an album, etc it often turns out pretty badly. I can't name many that were able to make it successfully, jin is a good example. Dumbfoundead is doing a little bit better but still not really doing it for me musically and artistically.  Not sure if Immortal Technique was a battle rapper or not, but he is the few that actually was able to over come this hurdle if so. Being a great battle rapper doesn't always mean you can make great music is all i am trying to saying. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #624 of 782
Quote:
Dusty has to be the wierdest adjective for an mc ever lol

damn how you post gifs here. LoL Man i need to find that one funny gif which would have been epic.

Quote:
You have never heard of zach dela rocha? The singer for Rage Against the Machine?
Am I that old? No..

Oh my bad doc, Zach is a member of Rage. haha Not a huge fan of them so I don't know the members' names. My mistake, i misread your reply and though Zach was another band.  Only liked like a couple of songs from them so..............excuse my illiterate and un_hip self.
biggrin.gif

edit: hot damn gifs works woot woot!!!

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #625 of 782
Quote:

RATM is much more interesting musically (lyrically....either way) IMO than Downset. I know they encompass different spectrums of the same genre, but I just find Downset to be generic.

Quote:

What's most surprising is that you drop this bomb and nobody mentions it later on. Please do tell!

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #626 of 782
RATM is much more interesting musically (lyrically....either way) IMO than Downset. I know they encompass different spectrums of the same genre, but I just find Downset to be generic.
Agreed. They were a straight up copy of Rage at the time IMO which is why I thought it was odd they attacked them like that. Anger is the only song they have that I enjoyed. They were fun live though. Were nice guys, in fact now that I think of it that is where I learned they patched that up with rage. They gave some free stuff to my friends at the show and they hung out with them after the show. I didn't go, was with a girl at the time....
What's most surprising is that you drop this bomb and nobody mentions it later on. Please do tell!

We used to get to interact with a lot of bands back in the day. We used to book shows and play shows. Occasionally bands low on tour money or just trying to charge a bare minimum would just stay over at mine or one of my friends places. Those days were fun. That was back when that kind of music was more "underground" and that "scene" was a lot more about enjoying the music and less about what you looked or acted like. Anyway...... that was a loooong time ago :D

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #627 of 782
Quote:
hmmmm thats some interesting insights, never heard of Zach before, need to check them out for sure, Damn an nu-metal beef between these groups with have been amazing. Think of the possible drama, or maybe not. LoL You done goofed doc, could have gotten some juicy insider gossip but........

The vid plays fine for me, you're not missing much but here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM6wuVudnP8

@Kami
Forgot to make my point on battle rappers turning into artist/ professional musicians. I dunno, lots seems to have a really difficult time crossing this divide. Many great battle rappers are great at battling but once they try to release an album, etc it often turns out pretty badly. I can't name many that were able to make it successfully, jin is a good example. Dumbfoundead is doing a little bit better but still not really doing it for me musically and artistically.  Not sure if Immortal Technique was a battle rapper or not, but he is the few that actually was able to over come this hurdle if so. Being a great battle rapper doesn't always mean you can make great music is all i am trying to saying. 

DMX is a battle rapper, one of B'more Finest before he put out his first album, Cassidy is one too, although not very successful but still stays one of my fave rappers when it comes to punchlines. Cypher is a big thing though, just getting together with other groups of MCs and spitting rhymes, it is somewhat of a competition 'cause I doubt none of the mcs want to walk out of that being showed up

Some big names of the late 90's in the same table, crazy ****

many of the best MCs early 90's, the vibe of multiple styles coming together is plain amazing, other examples is of course the Wu-Tang

^^you honestly cannot get the same synergy if you put all the big name rappers today in the same stage

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #628 of 782
Quote:
DMX is a battle rapper, one of B'more Finest before he put out his first album, Cassidy is one too, although not very successful but still stays one of my fave rappers when it comes to punchlines. Cypher is a big thing though, just getting together with other groups of MCs and spitting rhymes, it is somewhat of a competition 'cause I doubt none of the mcs want to walk out of that being showed up

Some big names of the late 90's in the same table, crazy ****

many of the best MCs early 90's, the vibe of multiple styles coming together is plain amazing, other examples is of course the Wu-Tang

^^you honestly cannot get the same synergy if you put all the big name rappers today in the same stage

Yeppp, agree with you that big names today ain't what it used to be thats for sure cuz none of them can freestyle for sh!t nowadays. LoL
It's more about the "brand" it seems now than true artistry, but oh well there are tons of non big names out there doing their thang. Just have to dig a bit that's all.

Hey i noticed your avatar name and looked it up, seems like they are a visual kei Jpn band. Just wondering if you know any high caliber Jpn hip hop/rap artists out there that is worth while. I have listened to some of Zeebra, Sphere of Influence, M-flo, Kick the Can Crew, Nujabes and his crew but haven't really found anything that is really up my alley.

But I am really digging the Korean hip hop scene, just boggles the mind how much talent is harbored there. I would dare to say that South Korean has the best hip hop acts in all of Asia hands down. Would love for you to show me some examples so I can stand corrected.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #629 of 782
Quote:
Yeppp, agree with you that big names today ain't what it used to be thats for sure cuz none of them can freestyle for sh!t nowadays. LoL
It's more about the "brand" it seems now than true artistry, but oh well there are tons of non big names out there doing their thang. Just have to dig a bit that's all.

Hey i noticed your avatar name and looked it up, seems like they are a visual kei Jpn band. Just wondering if you know any high caliber Jpn hip hop/rap artists out there that is worth while. I have listened to some of Zeebra, Sphere of Influence, M-flo, Kick the Can Crew, Nujabes and his crew but haven't really found anything that is really up my alley.

But I am really digging the Korean hip hop scene, just boggles the mind how much talent is harbored there. I would dare to say that South Korean has the best hip hop acts in all of Asia hands down. Would love for you to show me some examples so I can stand corrected.
very_evil_smiley.gif

sorry bro, you probably know more than me in asian hip-hop. Since I grew up on hip-hop I cannot get accustomed to non-english rap, I feel I would miss out on most of what rap offers(wordplay, metaphor...all poetic devices mentioned on an earlier post) so I basically can't identify with their lyrics, which are my main focus when I listen to hip-hop.

The good thing about japan though is its insanely large market much like NA and I don't bother it unless its visual kei or metal related. However I can acknowledge their flow, korean and japanese, but that's about it lol. The songs do sound good like Tablo and Leesang, they are able to integrate rap in a much more natural and soulful way which is quite interesting.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #630 of 782
Quote:
sorry bro, you probably know more than me in asian hip-hop. Since I grew up on hip-hop I cannot get accustomed to non-english rap, I feel I would miss out on most of what rap offers(wordplay, metaphor...all poetic devices mentioned on an earlier post) so I basically can't identify with their lyrics, which are my main focus when I listen to hip-hop.

The good thing about japan though is its insanely large market much like NA and I don't bother it unless its visual kei or metal related. However I can acknowledge their flow, korean and japanese, but that's about it lol. The songs do sound good like Tablo and Leesang, they are able to integrate rap in a much more natural and soulful way which is quite interesting.

Coolios thought you spoke Japanese or something so was just wondering if you were into Jpn hip hop that's all. Yeah old Epik High: Tablo was pretty good but have you heard their new album??? LMAO, so garbage. Lessang is too poetic for me to understand since i don't know a word of Korean haha but they are really talented for sure.  Well that is the thing about Korean hip hop, lots of artist seem to pepper in a lot of english words into their lyrics which makes it really accessible for even non Korean speakers.

A few examples if you are interested.............

Trippy funky stuff...

Ain't it Da Troof....

Well not much English peppered in it but hey it's Garion/ P-Type/ Soulscape so bad ass..........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back