Rap Sucks
Dec 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #632 of 782
Quote:
+1. What happened to that creative sound in Remapping the Human Soul? Quality dropped for me after [e].

Didn't you hear they signed to JPY now so............  Jokes aside it seems like they have been slipping ever since they went for that more techno/ modern sound (not sure if that is the right description). They still got the skills but it is just not showing in their albums sadly. They seem to have full creative control but I guess it is easier to make crappy pop rap than meaningful/ soulful music. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #633 of 782
Quote:
Coolios thought you spoke Japanese or something so was just wondering if you were into Jpn hip hop that's all. Yeah old Epik High: Tablo was pretty good but have you heard their new album??? LMAO, so garbage. Lessang is too poetic for me to understand since i don't know a word of Korean haha but they are really talented for sure.  Well that is the thing about Korean hip hop, lots of artist seem to pepper in a lot of english words into their lyrics which makes it really accessible for even non Korean speakers.

A few examples if you are interested.............

Trippy funky stuff...

Ain't it Da Troof....

Well not much English peppered in it but hey it's Garion/ P-Type/ Soulscape so bad ass..........................

These songs have a more classic vibe almost generic, yeah like I said before the flow are on point, didnt really like the high pitched dude in the second track, not sure if he is black to be saying nigga

I am not keeping up with asian hip-hop hard at all but culturally, it seems like Japan and Korea has a lot of english mixed into their language, if you get a hold of a subbed show, there are a lot bastardized english when they talk, its kinda fascinating honestly

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #634 of 782
Quote:
Didn't you hear they signed to JPY now so............  Jokes aside it seems like they have been slipping ever since they went for that more techno/ modern sound (not sure if that is the right description). They still got the skills but it is just not showing in their albums sadly. They seem to have full creative control but I guess it is easier to make crappy pop rap than meaningful/ soulful music. 

Don't you mean YG? Although it doesn't matter really. Their visual image has changed quite a lot as well. Shame, shame...

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #635 of 782
Quote:
These songs have a more classic vibe almost generic, yeah like I said before the flow are on point, didnt really like the high pitched dude in the second track, not sure if he is black to be saying nigga

I am not keeping up with asian hip-hop hard at all but culturally, it seems like Japan and Korea has a lot of english mixed into their language, if you get a hold of a subbed show, there are a lot bastardized english when they talk, its kinda fascinating honestly

Hmmmm wouldn't call them generic, more refined over the classics more like it. Less "dusty" haha Yeah those two dudes with high pitched voices are kinda of an acquired taste, kinda like J Dilla/ other more underground experimental types. LoL who says you have to be black to use the "N" word???
biggrin.gif

ahahahah yeppp, them engrish/ chinglish, etc is funny as hell <3s that bastardized english, too much 2nd hand embarrassment.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Don't you mean YG? Although it doesn't matter really. Their visual image has changed quite a lot as well. Shame, shame...

Oh right haha, them Big Korean pop acts gets confusing at times. YG it is!
angry_face.gif
It's the Epik High super idol show now. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #636 of 782
Quote:
ahahahah yeppp, them engrish/ chinglish, etc is funny as hell <3s that bastardized english, too much 2nd hand embarrassment.
tongue_smile.gif

Oh right haha, them Big Korean pop acts gets confusing at times. YG it is!
angry_face.gif
It's the Epik High super idol show now. 

I love chinglish! The flow works especially well for stuff like Shing02 and his lyrics.

Well at least there's always Lessang.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #637 of 782
Quote:
I love chinglish! The flow works especially well for stuff like Shing02 and his lyrics.

Well at least there's always Lessang.

LoL so do i, only way to communicate effectively nowadays. ha Shing02 is bad ass on Nujabe beats.

Well isn't Lessang kinda going that mainstream route as well, but they are keeping true to themselves it seems. Their music is too "Korean" for me to really understand, since i don't speak the language at all.
triportsad.gif
But they are keeping it artistic with it, even though they seem to have changed from their old sound/ style.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #638 of 782
Quote:
LoL so do i, only way to communicate effectively nowadays. ha Shing02 is bad ass on Nujabe beats.

Well isn't Lessang kinda going that mainstream route as well, but they are keeping true to themselves it seems. Their music is too "Korean" for me to really understand, since i don't speak the language at all.
triportsad.gif
But they are keeping it artistic with it, even though they seem to have changed from their old sound/ style.

A show of how mainstream they are is the fact that both members are so prominent on mainstream variety shows. They're actually more well-known for that then their music, so I guess they don't have to comprimise on artistry.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #639 of 782
Quote:

A show of how mainstream they are is the fact that both members are so prominent on mainstream variety shows. They're actually more well-known for that then their music, so I guess they don't have to comprimise on artistry.

I know, i don't even watch any of the Korean variety shows and I still know they are crazy popular hosts etc. Really happy for them, as well as Tiger JK/ Yoon Mi Rae that they have been able to become successful in the mainstream, yet not compromising their artistry. Can't say the same for a lot of the popular so called hip hop/ rap artists out here in the states.  Oh on that note damn it I WANT A NEW YOON MI RAE ALBUM NOW!!! They keep postponing it, sigh.
angry_face.gif

Hey TwinQY are you Korean BTW??? Just curious...........

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #640 of 782
Quote:
I know, i don't even watch any of the Korean variety shows and I still know they are crazy popular hosts etc. Really happy for them, as well as Tiger JK/ Yoon Mi Rae that they have been able to become successful in the mainstream, yet not compromising their artistry. Can't say the same for a lot of the popular so called hip hop/ rap artists out here in the states.  Oh on that note damn it I WANT A NEW YOON MI RAE ALBUM NOW!!! They keep postponing it, sigh.
angry_face.gif

Hey TwinQY are you Korean BTW??? Just curious...........

No, just go there a lot, so I can sort of understand basic conversations and vocab. Love Gary in Running Man (even if you don't understand it, the visual gags are funny enough)

Of course it's taking so long, everything takes longer in Korea. 
wink.gif

On that note, anyone enjoy some good old Fat Jon today? Been playing them out of the 8320, good stuff.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #641 of 782
Lol, I used to watch a couple Korean TV shows/dramas when I was in HS...had no cable, at night in LA there were 2 channels that showed these shows. I pretty much only watched english subbed shows, I thought "Super TV", some crazy variety comedy back then was hilarious. GAG Concert too! Dramas wise, only saw and got into "Yellow Handkerchief" and "On the Prairie" and then got out of that phase when they were over

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #642 of 782
Quote:
No, just go there a lot, so I can sort of understand basic conversations and vocab. Love Gary in Running Man (even if you don't understand it, the visual gags are funny enough)

wink.gif

On that note, anyone enjoy some good old Fat Jon today? Been playing them out of the 8320, good stuff.

Running Man is the ****, NA could've had it like the Amazing Race but with a good funny host

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #643 of 782
Quote:

wink.gif

Damn, you're so lucky, I am so jelly. I wish I can go there at least once, but it sucks to not know any one there. Don't want to just go and visit tourist traps. haha Hitting up the local eateries etc is the best places to see/ experience plus is cheap.
Quote:
Lol, I used to watch a couple Korean TV shows/dramas when I was in HS...had no cable, at night in LA there were 2 channels that showed these shows. I pretty much only watched english subbed shows, I thought "Super TV", some crazy variety comedy back then was hilarious. GAG Concert too! Dramas wise, only saw and got into "Yellow Handkerchief" and "On the Prairie" and then got out of that phase when they were over

I think the only variety program that I ever actually followed as Family Outing the 1st season. And I had to watch that on youtube. But there are a ton of English subbed Korean channels/ shows now in the Bay Area. Korean variety shows is just crazy funny in general....
Quote:
Running Man is the ****, NA could've had it like the Amazing Race but with a good funny host

haha I love how we are turning this thread into Korean hip hop/ variety show thread. NICE!!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #644 of 782
Quote:

Damn, you're so lucky, I am so jelly. I wish I can go there at least once, but it sucks to not know any one there. Don't want to just go and visit tourist traps. haha Hitting up the local eateries etc is the beast places to see/ experience plus is cheap.

Not really. It just takes very little time to get there during the usual trips back east that we make a point to visit whenever we can. Honestly, the tourist traps can be more interesting than the everyday usual stuff they romanticize on dramas. It's similar enough to China/Japan that not much is a surprise at this point. I'm probably more partial to Korean and Japanese food than most other foods though. Spicy stuff and raw seafood meshes well with my tastebuds, not so much my stomach though.

Quote:

I think the only variety program that I ever actually followed as Family Outing the 1st season. And I had to watch that on youtube. But there are a ton of English subbed Korean channels/ shows now in the Bay Area. Korean variety shows is just crazy funny in general....

Loved the Dumb and Dumber couple in FO. Such a huge age discrepancy between Jaesuk and Daesung, but the way they act (ignoring the mandatory formalities) you really can't tell. Other favourites would be 1 Night 2 Days, Infinite Challenge with (Gil of Lessang), Strong Heart. The generic stuff. Not the idol crap though.

Quote:
haha I love how we are turning this thread into Korean hip hop/ variety show thread. NICE!!! 
beerchug.gif

Better than the original point of the thread, which eventually devolved into dismissing a whole genre based on stereotypes and overgeneralizing. 

We should get back on topic though - "Rap sucks, man, bunch of money laundering, sexually exploiting, talentless wimps"
                                                     - "Cool story, bro"

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #645 of 782
^ Hey you know what, why don't people start posting their favorite hip hop tracks/ MVs on this thread. It would be especially interesting if others post international ones cuz I am sure there are a ton of amazing stuff out there. The American scene is still kinda slow in making a comeback from it's better days. Would love it for people to post like some godly french hip hop or something, never really looked into the Euro scene much.

haha yeah dumb and dumber brothers were hilarious, but Chunderella was funny as hell as well. Poor guy kept getting taken advantage of by Kim Su-ro. Anyone watched the 2nd season, heard it sucked so i didn't even bother looking it up.

@TwinQY are you Chinese? If so, are there any good hip hop acts that are worth while or is your favorite? I am chinese btw and it's pretty slim pickings, but some that I love are Soft Lipa, Miss KO, Masta Mic from HK, AM444 and KidGod from China that's about it. Kinda sad to see not many good hip hop heads from China even though the damn place is huge. LoL

Oh almost forgot to ask some of the more knowledgeable hip hop heads on this thread, talking about you Kami, does anyone know where this beat is sampled from??? My friend heard this track and he said that the beat was stolen from a old school song but he couldn't put his fingers on it.
The beat in this track:

Anyone out there that know what this sound similar to???  Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back