Rap music. Pro or Con
Apr 10, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #121 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben72227 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love rap as much as everything else. Some of the more violent rap I don't like, but I LOVE old school gangsta rap. Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dog, Eazy-E, Compton's Most Wanted, NWA, etc.

Basically - I like the kind of rap that was on the Office Space soundtrack. That laid-back, west coast - BUT still gangsta, rap.

The newer stuff - 50 Cent, etc. I don't really listen to the lyrics, but I LOVE the beats. I'm into electronic music too. I won't listen to a 50 Cent song for 50 cent; I'll listen to it to hear a beat from Scott Storch, Timbaland, etc.

I also like Wu-Tang, Tupac, Three 6 Mafia, etc.

But realize - I don't listen to (most) rap expecting to take it seriously. I take it at face value for what it is and just enjoy it that way. Just like I don't play a Nickelback song expecting to be blown away at how good it is. It's commercial and fun. Nothing more.

x10!!

I think most people nowadays who enjoy rap feel the same way. There are a few other rappers like T.I. and Bohagon, for example, that have *AWESOME* beats, and their lyrics are OK. But I think the moral of the story is that 90% of everything is ******** -- of books, of movies, of music, etc...but that other 10% sure makes it all worth while!

Rock was great back in the day...but how do you perform after a group like Zeppelin rocks everybody's socks off? You can't...and if you tried to, you'd look like a lame, flaccid pecker.

I think with Rock, it's a lot easier for bands to move into a different genre, tho...RHCP seems like more a great alternative band to me, and Dave Matthews' crew a great jam band. Its the pioneers that truly make everything you hear, and the others that rip them off are the ones that fill the world with crap. Rap prolly has more crap than other genres because there aren't enough pioneers anymore!

BE A PIONEER!!

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #122 of 224
Also, I didn't vote because I don't listen "mostly to rap" nor do I "not like it personally".

I like it, but I like good rap songs almost as much as I like rock, reggae, blues, jazz, etc...

Don't generalize a genre...judge a song instead.

Mo Thugs Family w/ Bone Thugs - Ghetto Cowboy is a very hard song to pass by.
T.I. - Bounce Like This is also a bad ass song.

Some songs, tho...the rappers take it overboard, and you're not sure whethere it's intentional or they're personalities are that outta whack, but then you realize it's funny EITHER way.

BTW, all of you need to go buy yourselves a set of low profile rims for your cars, re-paint 'em with themes that're relevant to your lives, restore the mechanical parts, and tell me every rapper doesn't have it right!!

Becoming one with your car is so much better than just buying a brand new vehicle. Try it out...then crank up the dirty south jams.

-Peace out

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #123 of 224
Don't like it, don't listen to it.

JD
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #124 of 224
I like hip-hop more than rap...and yes, there is a difference. Hip-hop is about culture and life. Rap makes me think of cars, gold chains, and booty.

Rap = Fabolus, Dem Franchise Boys, 50 cent, Ludacris, etc
Hip-hop = The Roots, Jurassic 5, Nas, Dilated Peoples, Common, etc

I am actually checking Nas out in concert tonight at the Neighborhood Theatre in Charlotte, NC....

May 14, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #126 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and plus.... rap really isn't music in the traditional sense. unless you call drum ensembles "music."

Excuse me, but drum ensembles are definitely music. What about Japanese taiko ensembles? It's not about the melody, it's about rhythm.

I have to say, but it is definitely snobbery in saying Mozart/Bach would puke on rap.

And no, I don't like rap.

May 14, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #127 of 224
Can someone do the same poll for electric guitar music aka rock and metal?

May 14, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #128 of 224
The early warning signs of rap was when they forgot to keep on the "c" at the front of the genre name.
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #129 of 224
You like rap? you wa'na rape and kill you momma! That is rap to me.

May 14, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #131 of 224
Quote:

Also, I didn't vote because I don't listen "mostly to rap" nor do I "not like it personally".

Favorite rap albums:
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II...
Blackalicious - Nia, Blazing Arrow
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Madvillain - Madvillainy
King Geedorah - Take Me to Your Leader
Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask

Total number of said albums' references glorifying guns, superficial wealth, or violent behavior: pretty close to zero

May 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #133 of 224
Love it as a genre,but I dont listen to most mainstream stuff....

Like .....

(50 Cent,Eminem,Young Buck,Jeezy,Dip Set,Game,and all that other crap.....)

tongue.gif
580smile.gif

Underground4ever BAYBey !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

'The Misses' -- The Stone Quartet // Caveman Theory

Folder-7.jpg

The above album,***** all over most of the mainstream releases that have come out over the last year....
cool.gif

Oh....and I thought we were not allowed to start threads like this ? in other words thread crapping on other genres ?

I like all kinds of music,but hip hop and rap is the best as far as I am concerned.I have been listening to this stuff for ages (....near 30 years !!!!
eek.gif
basshead.gif
)

I find most of the stuff that people listen to in this forum,total unadulterated crap,tripe,garbage,etc,but I dont start threads about it ! I keep my mouth shut 99.99& of the time...

But then,what else is new !!? Most people are ill informed and ignorant about most of whats out there,if not all of it.I am the same...

They see and or hear a 50 cent video,etc,and assume its like that...

rolleyes.gif

But I would suggest some of you listen to Blackalicious,well before shooting off your ignorant mouth next time,and read the lyrics...

Peace and love to all my fellow members !
icon10.gif
We will have to agree to disagree on most of this stuff,people beleive what they want to beleive.

Dont be so quick to white wash a whole genre because of the small percentage of it that you and your ears have been exposed to over the years.Dont judge a book by its cover....Every genre has its good and bad
but hip hop and rap is currently societys latest scapegoat.In the 80's it was
Metal and Ozzy and The Dead Kennedys,etc,etc,etc....

History repeats itself....

May 19, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #134 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like it, but I like good rap songs almost as much as I like rock, reggae, blues, jazz, etc...

Don't generalize a genre...judge a song instead.

x2

May 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #135 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_the_membrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

x3.
I like a lot of stuff from the early days of rap i.e. late 80s - mid 90s :public Enemy,Ice-T,Jungle Brothers,EPMD,Stetsasonic,WTC etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back