flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #5,851 of 39,414
Nice! In you signature I see it's the SilverFy R5. Any differences with the R4 as far as you know?

I have the SilverFy R4 on a loan these days and just posted this in the EE thread => might as well copy/paste it over here...

Beautiful photo. All the red, blue and cream just seems to blend well together. The initial photo doesn't do it justice as it seems to shrink in size, you have to click on photo and view the larger photo in it's own modal. The EE just blipped on my radar since it seems to synergise well w/ the R4. I wonder if any hiss on Hugo2?

It's too early to comment as I only have less than 5 hours on the R5 and UE18+. 0 time on the R4. I just rely on THL R5 review as a reference point for the comparison.

So nice to have another SilverFi impression. Thanks for sharing. Will save web page post and photo for archives.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #5,855 of 39,414
According to most reviews I've found, the U18 and the SE5U are worlds apart. The U18 has a more transparent, open, lively and sparkly signature, while the SE5U is darker, thicker and slower in comparison. It all comes down to preference at the end of the day.

The SE5 ultimate is super transparent, is not thick AT ALL, but very delicate sounding, the tonality is not warm, or only VERY slightly due to the fact that treble is not sparkly. but treble is nonethless VERY extended and not muffled like the AAW900. I haven't heard the U18, but this does not describe the SE5 Ultimate accurately at all. You say it comes down to preference, but put all positive qualifiers on one side, and not very attractive qualifiers on the other, not having heard the SE5 yourself. No offense meant, but I think this type of misleading simplification does not help much.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #5,856 of 39,414
With all this talk about value-oriented, bang-for-the-buck IEMs, I feel like now is as good a time as any to present you guys with...

Cool review man, curious to hear these guys.

Just a small correction:

“By changing Balanced Armature driver character from inductive to resistive…”

This is incorrect. The BA drivers remain inductive, that remains unchanged. A small RC electrical circuit is added in parallel that compensates for the inductivity, making the overall system mostly resistive. In speakers, this is called a Zobel network.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #5,858 of 39,414
The SE5 ultimate is super transparent, is not thick AT ALL, but very delicate sounding, the tonality is not warm, or only VERY slightly due to the fact that treble is not sparkly. but treble is nonethless VERY extended and not muffled like the AAW900. I haven't heard the U18, but this does not describe the SE5 Ultimate accurately at all. You say it comes down to preference, but put all positive qualifiers on one side, and not very attractive qualifiers on the other, not having heard the SE5 yourself. No offense meant, but I think this type of misleading simplification does not help much.

That's fair; it's not like Spiral Ear makes it easy (or even possible, for that matter) to hear it anyways. I just assumed so considering most SE5U owners I've talked to pretty much use that vocabulary when describing it. Honestly, I think I used neutral terminology when describing both. I've had tons of people walk into Music Sanctuary asking for a warm and pleasing IEM with as little treble sparkle as possible, and they've all universally disliked the U18. But, alas, no offense taken; enjoy your SE5U, Mim. :wink:

Cool review man, curious to hear these guys.

Just a small correction:

“By changing Balanced Armature driver character from inductive to resistive…”

This is incorrect. The BA drivers remain inductive, that remains unchanged. A small RC electrical circuit is added in parallel that compensates for the inductivity, making the overall system mostly resistive. In speakers, this is called a Zobel network.

Well, that's a quote from the Custom Art website, so you'll have to talk to Piotr about that. But, in his defense, if it is indeed a technical error, I'm sure it's mostly a language thing. Piotr is one of the most technically-knowledgeable people I know when it comes to IEMs and he's also the last person I'd expect to engage in misleading marketing. But, English is not his first language and talking about technical details like these may get a little lost in translation. Regardless though, I appreciate the extra info, it'll help me understand these IEMs better in my future reviews. Cheers! :D

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #5,859 of 39,414
That's fair; it's not like Spiral Ear makes it easy (or even possible, for that matter) to hear it anyways. I just assumed so considering most SE5U owners I've talked to pretty much use that vocabulary when describing it. Honestly, I think I used neutral terminology when describing both. I've had tons of people walk into Music Sanctuary asking for a warm and pleasing IEM with as little treble sparkle as possible, and they've all universally disliked the U18. But, alas, no offense taken; enjoy your SE5U, Mim. :wink:

Like I said, it is difficult to convey tone, so no offense meant. But since there are no demos, some impressions flying around are from people who force-fitted their friends'...so no credibility there. And also, to be honest. the character of the SE5 Ultimate is hard to define. But I would say there are three cases when you might not like it:

- If you want significant mid bass impact (dynamic like physical impact)
- If you want very sparkly treble
- If you want thick mids like Fitear
- If you want ultra fast BA (but I don't find it super slow either)

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #5,860 of 39,414
Well, that's a quote from the Custom Art website, so you'll have to talk to Piotr about that. But, in his defense, if it is indeed a technical error, I'm sure it's mostly a language thing. Piotr is one of the most technically-knowledgeable people I know when it comes to IEMs and he's also the last person I'd expect to engage in misleading marketing. But, English is not his first language and talking about technical details like these may get a little lost in translation. Regardless though, I appreciate the extra info, it'll help me understand these IEMs better in my future reviews. Cheers! :D

I have no doubt the guy is knowledgeable and I'm sure it's just something lost in translation. Regardless, there's certainly marketing at play as well.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #5,861 of 39,414
With all this talk about value-oriented, bang-for-the-buck IEMs, I feel like now is as good a time as any to present you guys with...

I'm still amazed at how you can write with such exquisite words to describe how a pair of IEM sounds! Keep up the excellent job and look forward to more reviews buddy!

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #5,863 of 39,414
Unfortunately this is incorrect. Zobel networks have been around for years it's not a patentable solution. Consider, FIBAE 1 features no passive components.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #5,864 of 39,414
Unfortunately this is incorrect. Zobel networks has been around for years it's not a patentable solution. Consider, FIBAE 1 features no passive components.

Haha, I stand corrected! I shall now proceed to proverbially put my foot in my mouth :D

Still... I find it interesting that the same effect can be achieved with a Zobel network. Case in point, a quick little lumped parameter simulation of a Knowles ED with an RC in parallel gives me this.

Zobel.PNG

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #5,865 of 39,414
Unfortunately this is incorrect. Zobel networks has been around for years it's not a patentable solution. Consider, FIBAE 1 features no passive components.
Unfortunately this is incorrect. You should have said Zobel Networks HAVE BEEN around for years.

tenor.gif

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back