flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 16, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #5,356 of 39,414
You are OK to put 3k in a third pair of iem but not 2k in a living thing :D

Unless there are allergies involved, I have two words for y'all on the dog topic: Rescue dogs.

Shelters are often filled to capacity with great dogs looking for a good home.

Not to mention how sketchy dog breeders can be and the many health problems that come with purebred dogs (tumors for boxers, hips for German Sheppards, breathing for bulldogs, epilepsy for beagles).

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #5,357 of 39,414
You can certainly get a rescue dog for no money, and God Bless those that do...
(had one years back, really difficult, panic prone, was jealous of my daughter to the point that we were really nervous...I'll pay for a puppy, thanks)

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #5,358 of 39,414
i paid zero money for the 2 German Shepperd i got btw - and for 25 years we had zero stress and tons of love

and there are more than rescue dogs out there - so many people have dogs that give birth to puppies which are given for free

so yeah paying 3K for a dog seems a waste of money to me - well like i said , capitalism baby

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #5,359 of 39,414
I posted this in the Andromeda thread but figured this may be a good place to ask also. What would be the next thing closest sounding to the Andromeda? Essentially what I'm asking for is the Andromeda in a more comfortable shell. I'm fine with any company and my budget is rather flexible. Something universal also, any suggestions?
I had to sell mine due to fit issues and I miss them like crazy. XD. I bought the Vega's and while I am very impressed I'm just finding myself missing the sound signature of the Andros.

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #5,360 of 39,414
Recently I have been revisiting the top IEM from the list and comparing my impression with nic's review. I have become more interested in the particular aspect of 3-D imaging, depth and width of the stage. I personally think this aspect for IEMs is relatively vague or hard to depict / pickup compared to full-sized headphones that I previously / currently own such as HD800 and HE1000. At least to my ears. YMMV

Apart from the difference in the ability of imaging for the IEM itself, I realized the other important issue is that not every song in my collection is produced/ mixed to create a 3D image. Such as music that utilizes a mixer to produce / electronic music / synth pop / jpop / anison. Instruments are simply behind the vocal. Even if I revisit the tracks that I used for auditioning on full-sized headphones, some of the tracks does not create a 3D sound of a different instrument. The entire music sounded 2D/wide, and not 3D or with much depth, I think it is how to track is intended/produced.

IMO, while comparing the ability of 3D imaging, depth/height of soundstage in IEMs, the choice of tracks is equally as important to the raw power and capability of the IEM itself. I think most of the tracks I used when I audition VE8 or while making a decision between A18 / Zeus are produced in a 2D fashion and not intended for the listener to pinpoint the position of each instrument, I am not able to compare the aspect of the depth of soundstage between the A18 / Zeus. Going back to the VE8 / Zeus / Arthur with better-produced tracks has impressed me on their ability of producing 3D stage. The U18 (my A18 unit has not arrived yet) obviously sounded more flat, but has a much wider soundstage.

Although my choice between A18 / Zeus will still be the same even if I factor in the ability of 3D imaging and depth of soundstage between, it has been a great lesson for me and has broadened my experience.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #5,361 of 39,414
I posted this in the Andromeda thread but figured this may be a good place to ask also. What would be the next thing closest sounding to the Andromeda? Essentially what I'm asking for is the Andromeda in a more comfortable shell. I'm fine with any company and my budget is rather flexible. Something universal also, any suggestions?
I had to sell mine due to fit issues and I miss them like crazy. XD. I bought the Vega's and while I am very impressed I'm just finding myself missing the sound signature of the Andros.

Inear Prophile 8. Or Empire Ears Athena.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #5,362 of 39,414
Brooko mentioned in his Andromeda review that 64 Audio U6 measures (and sounds) nearly identical to Andromeda, you might want to check that out.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/campfire-audio-andromeda.21533/reviews#review-17093

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #5,364 of 39,414
Sir shall I consider U10 or U12 as an upgrade of Andromeda? I heard the U18 nevertheless at a show and was not actually impressed...
Different signatures though. I haven't heard U10 but I own A12 and used to have Andro.

Andro's sound is thinner, brighter, airier and uh, treblier. A12 is thicker, warmer, more intimate with a deeper soundstage. Technical ability and detail retrieval I'd say they're on the same tier. Depends on preference.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #5,365 of 39,414
Interesting they are advertising that new IE800S as "Diffuse Field Equalized", not sure to how to take that exactly ("sounds like er4s?") , but it's nice to see Senn at least attempting to provide an idea of sound signature.

That is interesting, especially because the original IE800 is anything but DF tuned. Low 3kHz energy and huge bass.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #5,366 of 39,414
Tested the IE800 a few months ago and the subbass is still ringing in my ears today. Immensely fun sig though, wonder how IE800S will be tuned.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #5,368 of 39,414
That is interesting, especially because the original IE800 is anything but DF tuned. Low 3kHz energy and huge bass.

Exactly. If the IEM does have a DF tuning, it would be their first Hi-Fi IEM from Sennheiser with a headphone target response.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #5,369 of 39,414
Those and utopia have covertly converted me into a treblehead. More so than a secret basshead...

Guess there is no worries for upgrading. Just for now!

Totally agree, tho I was converted to treblehead much earlier by the HD800 , then HE1000. The Andro put the final nail in me and I am fully converted. Thats why I headed towards the A18.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #5,370 of 39,414
Looking at UE18+ or 64Audio A12 and would appreciate your comments.
Those two have been on my radar for some time, although I have only been able to briefly demo the UE18+. My guess based on the reviews is that they have some similarities and some differences. Both are warm and smooth, which I like, but the UE18+ excels with its tonality whereas the A12 has a more capable bass.

Personally, I felt that the bass of the U6 was already very impressive and can only imagine what the A12 is capable of, but after the brief demo the UE18+ have really stuck with me because I value their tonality and vocals very highly. Perhaps other people can chime in on the A12, as I can't off the top of my head remember a reviewer who has reviewed both.
Recently I have been revisiting the top IEM from the list and comparing my impression with nic's review. I have become more interested in the particular aspect of 3-D imaging, depth and width of the stage. I personally think this aspect for IEMs is relatively vague or hard to depict / pickup compared to full-sized headphones that I previously / currently own such as HD800 and HE1000. At least to my ears. YMMV

Apart from the difference in the ability of imaging for the IEM itself, I realized the other important issue is that not every song in my collection is produced/ mixed to create a 3D image. Such as music that utilizes a mixer to produce / electronic music / synth pop / jpop / anison. Instruments are simply behind the vocal. Even if I revisit the tracks that I used for auditioning on full-sized headphones, some of the tracks does not create a 3D sound of a different instrument. The entire music sounded 2D/wide, and not 3D or with much depth, I think it is how to track is intended/produced.

IMO, while comparing the ability of 3D imaging, depth/height of soundstage in IEMs, the choice of tracks is equally as important to the raw power and capability of the IEM itself. I think most of the tracks I used when I audition VE8 or while making a decision between A18 / Zeus are produced in a 2D fashion and not intended for the listener to pinpoint the position of each instrument, I am not able to compare the aspect of the depth of soundstage between the A18 / Zeus. Going back to the VE8 / Zeus / Arthur with better-produced tracks has impressed me on their ability of producing 3D stage. The U18 (my A18 unit has not arrived yet) obviously sounded more flat, but has a much wider soundstage.

Although my choice between A18 / Zeus will still be the same even if I factor in the ability of 3D imaging and depth of soundstage between, it has been a great lesson for me and has broadened my experience.
I think there are several factors that are involved in perceiving the stage and its dimensions. When I review (or just listen attentively) I see the stage like the drawings Nic used in his shootout reviews. I don't really know how I do it, but it seems to come quite naturally to me. Perhaps it is because I listen to a lot of classical symphonies that are very layered and I specifically search for instrument positioning and how one instruments harmonises with another. However, even with classical music it also depends on the recording. When I reviewed the Eros II I did a section on Beethoven's No.3 'Eroica' and there I found that a recording closer to the orchestra reveals more of the layering, and depth is more easily perceived as a consequence, compared to recordings made at a greater distance (like sitting a few rows back). In the latter case the depth is still there, but you have to sense it as if you are sitting a few rows back with space between you and the orchestra and the sound coming in less directly. That is a bit more difficult because you have to sense the venue's acoustics and I suspect that (for instance) added warmth to the signature makes that more difficult (e.g. Ares II vs Eros II).

I still find it quite challenging to determine the stage dimensions, especially height, but that is no doubt down to a lack of experience. Although funny enough it were the stage dimensions that struck me when I bought my Trinity Vyrus and compared them to my se215. The Vyrus was much wider, but with almost no depth, just a wall off sound, while the se215 was narrower and had more depth. So while I was initially very impressed by the Vyrus, I eventually gravitated back to my se215 because I preferred their stage dimensions (until I got the Ei.3, of course).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back