flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,496 of 39,414
With my Ei.3 I really need to use the double flange tips to get close to the sound of the CIEMs. I had to rely on Spinfit tips for the first couple of days because the guys forgot to include tips with my reshell, but that was an absolutely horrible combination. So yes, the universal versions of the Custom Art CIEMs might be heavily influenced by the tips.

Jomo, in particular, strongly recommends double-flange tips when auditioning their universal demos. He says SpinFits add treble energy and lose bass, while Comply tips muffle the sound and accentuate the low end; both of which I entirely agree with.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,497 of 39,414
tia Fourté was the first piece of gear I've ever had the opportunity to audition before buying. In Kansas City, there are just no locations anywhere nearby for this kind of equipment.

I couldn't believe my luck that the guy selling the Fourté was a local KC boy. I arranged a meet after work yesterday, and I walked away much poorer, but much happier. :D

Yeah, my post was more about how my vague and subjective descriptions could never compete with hearing an actual physical demo, and how fortunate I am to live in an area with SO much to try (or, used to live in, at least :frowning2:). Regardless, I'm glad you got to try the Fourte prior to buying it; buyer's remorse at that price would be a pain I do not wish to know :D Looking forward to the review!

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,498 of 39,414
tia Fourté was the first piece of gear I've ever had the opportunity to audition before buying. In Kansas City, there are just no locations anywhere nearby for this kind of equipment.

I couldn't believe my luck that the guy selling the Fourté was a local KC boy. I arranged a meet after work yesterday, and I walked away much poorer, but much happier. :D
My friend traveled to Chicago few days ago and found a complete set of Grado Hp1000 off the street in perfect condition for the price of almost free - $300 and that was a girl selling and he saw her walking miles away with the case. You never know what you would find these days on the locals.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3,499 of 39,414
@Xymordos Mentor 3 is out? Wow, I'm surprised. Thanks for sharing your impression. :)

@Wyville Fatigue is one thing to consider, another is how your music selection/playlist pairs with your chosen IEM. A friend of mine who likes listening to bassy EDM confessed how he dislikes Zeus-XRA. I saw that one coming, haha. So IMO, given that you like/often listen to classical, and prefer a universal model, perhaps you could try the Maestro 2. They sound very natural, so I guess they could be comfortable for listening in a long period. Another IEM with great tonality (IDK if they're available in universal) would be Aether. Switch the bass 'on' when you feel naughty, or are listening to angry classical music. :D

@PinkyPowers But still, for the price you paid, you could sell it again (god forbid) for little to no loss. So win-win (?). You'll become rich again, but less happy. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,500 of 39,414
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,501 of 39,414
Jomo, in particular, strongly recommends double-flange tips when auditioning their universal demos. He says SpinFits add treble energy and lose bass, while Comply tips muffle the sound and accentuate the low end; both of which I entirely agree with.
Exactly my experience too!
@Wyville Fatigue is one thing to consider, another is how your music selection/playlist pairs with your chosen IEM. A friend of mine who likes listening to bassy EDM confessed how he dislikes Zeus-XRA. I saw that one coming, haha. So IMO, given that you like/often listen to classical, and prefer a universal model, perhaps you could try the Maestro 2. They sound very natural, so I guess they could be comfortable for listening in a long period. Another IEM with great tonality (IDK if they're available in universal) would be Aether. Switch the bass 'on' when you feel naughty, or are listening to angry classical music. :D
Yes, the Maestro V2 is very high on my wish list! Nic recommended I look into that one and based on his review and a comparison between his review of the 18+ and the Maestro, I would say that if money were no object and I could buy tomorrow, it would be the Maestro. (Alas, I can't buy tomorrow. :p )

I haven't really looked at the Aether, never realised they had a universal version, but that might well be worth checking out! Thanks! I especially like the option to switch on the bass if I feel naughty. :D

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,502 of 39,414

Yes, the Maestro V2 is very high on my wish list! Nic recommended I look into that one and based on his review and a comparison between his review of the 18+ and the Maestro, I would say that if money were no object and I could buy tomorrow, it would be the Maestro. (Alas, I can't buy tomorrow. :p )

I haven't really looked at the Aether, never realised they had a universal version, but that might well be worth checking out! Thanks! I especially like the option to switch on the bass if I feel naughty. :D

Emil of Lime Ears is usually great with providing demo units to those who ask, so it's definitely worth a shot. In my opinion, if you're looking at the Maestro, you should look at the Singapore-exclusive Legacy. It's a 12-BA design just like the Maestro, but it's tuned in collaboration with Singaporean audio store, Stereo Electronics. If I remember correctly, it has more clarity than the Maestro, a significant boost in resolution, and isn't as dark or warm as the Maestro, yet still maintaining a beautifully natural, peak-free tonality. I'm planning on heading to Singapore next month, so do let me know if you'd like me to do a more thorough side-by-side comparison :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,503 of 39,414
Emil of Lime Ears is usually great with providing demo units to those who ask, so it's definitely worth a shot. In my opinion, if you're looking at the Maestro, you should look at the Singapore-exclusive Legacy. It's a 12-BA design just like the Maestro, but it's tuned in collaboration with Singaporean audio store, Stereo Electronics. If I remember correctly, it has more clarity than the Maestro, a significant boost in resolution, and isn't as dark or warm as the Maestro. I'm planning on heading to Singapore next month, so do let me know if you'd like me to do a more thorough side-by-side comparison :)
Sounds interesting, although I generally prefer a warmer, more organic signature. I think that perhaps this helps it to sound more realistic.

I might, if there is still room, be seeing my audiologist next week to demo the UE18+ and H8.2. :)

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #3,504 of 39,414
Sounds interesting, although I generally prefer a warmer, more organic signature. I think that perhaps this helps it to sound more realistic.

I might, if there is still room, be seeing my audiologist next week to demo the UE18+ and H8.2. :)

Awesome! Glad you're getting to demo some of your most anticipated IEMs finally :D Do keep in mind, the Legacy isn't as warm and dark as the Maestro, but its tonality is still on the organic side, with better balance between tonal body and technical performance IMO. You're not compromising the signature of the Maestro at all, and even if you were, the gains in detail retrieval, imaging, and clarity more than suffice.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,505 of 39,414
I would LOVE to hear a comparison between the SE5U and the Encore. The Encore is currently my favorite IEM from Noble, and although I'm sure they sound very different, I'd love to know how different the SE5U is with the Encore as a familiar base line.

Here my 2 cents comparison between the Encore and SE5U.

I bought the Encore directly from Noble, while I found a set of pre-owned SE5U at an excellent price, not sure I would have bought a brand-new set at this time.

With the standard cables I feel both earphones cannot fully express their potentials, I found 2 cables that make a real difference, for the Encore the whiplash TWag V3 T and for the SE5U the whiplash TWau Reference V2. My considerations are based using these cables, with other cables like the Linum super bax I found the SE5U to be too dark and the Encore limited in the treble, it didn't add any sparkle like the Twag does.

Encore
Resolution, clarity, treble extension, I found it very sharp, full of details, but sometime aggressive in the mid and treble depending on the song. I understand why this is not the right ciem for people who are treble sensitive. Soundstage is spacious, but also that one depends on the cable, but not as the SE5U.

I really enjoy listing to Bill Evans and Dire Straits; the Encore makes the instruments shine.

SE5U
First thing I noticed is the bass, strong, full of details, the treble is more natural and less bright than the Encore. The soundstage is very spacious and well separated, vocals are full body with warm tone. The overall signature is more organic and warmer.

I love listeing Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward with the SE5U

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,506 of 39,414

I bought the Encore directly from Noble, while I found a set of pre-owned SE5U at an excellent price, not sure I would have bought a brand-new set at this time.

With the standard cables I feel both earphones cannot fully express their potentials, I found 2 cables that make a real difference, for the Encore the whiplash TWag V3 T and for the SE5U the whiplash TWau Reference V2. My considerations are based using these cables, with other cables like the Linum super bax I found the SE5U to be too dark and the Encore limited in the treble, it didn't add any sparkle like the Twag does.

Encore
Resolution, clarity, treble extension, I found it very sharp, full of details, but sometime aggressive in the mid and treble depending on the song. I understand why this is not the right ciem for people who are treble sensitive. Soundstage is spacious, but also that one depends on the cable, but not as the SE5U.

I really enjoy listing to Bill Evans and Dire Straits; the Encore makes the instruments shine.

SE5U
First thing I noticed is the bass, strong, full of details, the treble is more natural and less bright than the Encore. The soundstage is very spacious and well separated, vocals are full body with warm tone. The overall signature is more organic and warmer.

Thanks! Appreciate the impressions :D Even with the Encore's more prominent and clear treble, would you say the SE5U keeps up in terms of technical performance (i.e. resolution, imaging, separation, etc.)? Also, has the warmth of the midrange ever given an impression of darkness or chestiness when listening to instruments and vocals that sometimes rely on some upper midrange energy (like the higher registers of piano, the tension of bow pulls on violins and cellos, guitar strumming, female vocal overtones, etc.)? Again, really appreciate the time :)

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,507 of 39,414

There is a pair of Maestro 2 being advertised in the classifieds at the moment, and for a decent price as well. But alas, it comes back again on the number of puppies that you have. :D

Encore

SE5U

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup: Nice impression, especially of the Encore. It has a lot of details, and space IMO, but I agree that it can be aggressive/harsh for some. I can see why SE5 is ranked very highly in this shootout.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #3,508 of 39,414

I think the Maestro V2 is an awesome choice. I enjoyed my time with it.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #3,510 of 39,414
Hey guys, I attended a local show over the weekend. The whole show is more towards speakers and hi-fi but there's a dedicated booth just for Headfiers like us. They brought in some top gear like the SR009, LCD-4, Susvara, RE2000, Xelento, Flamenco and Samba, among others. I had real fun attending the show and shared my impressions here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kua...av-show-kliav-2017-impressions-thread.856940/

Hope you guys check it out and give some feedback, cheers!

Part two of my show coverage is up. Took more than two weeks cos I'm uh, not a prolific writer. Nic is a shining example of what a kickass writer should be. This time I cover cans. No IEMs though, but thought I'd share since we're all buds here (hopefully).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kua...2017-impressions-thread.856940/#post-13635881

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back