flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,481 of 39,414
I didn't referenced the SE5U just because it's in the top 2, but it's the other ciem that I own and I can honestly compare to the Encore.

For sure in the next CanJam near NYC I'll spend much more time to test different iems.
It seems that you have both of them and few other hps such as the LCD. Would you mind doing a comparison especially between Encore and SE5U? alot of people here are wondering about this SE5U . I have listened to Encore and know how it sounds but not entirely with SE5U. (Heck, for a moment i was thinking cancelling my order of SE5U because it didn't sound better than Encore because my Aether just beats it in plain sight)

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,482 of 39,414
I have the non-ADEL Zeus-XR. I use the AK70, which doesn't hiss at all, and the Onkyo DP-X1, which barely hisses. I've used my Mojo as well, and I have to go go 5-8 steps up from 0 to get the music loud enough to completely remove hiss, despite my normal listening levels being 2-3 steps from 0. At those levels, the hiss is barely louder than noise that's in most modern recordings, and decently easy to ignore if you're not critically listening.

I agree, it might be a tip thing. I heard the new fourte revision with Final Audio tips and they sounded sublime, even if they're not as rich, beautifully relaxed and downright laidback as the CanJam demos. The FA tips tend to be more natural-sounding while the more standard SpinFit tips accentuate upper-mid and treble sparkle, which may be the cause of the splashiness.

Like with the fourte, it might be a tip thing. I, too, find the XR a bit dulled when I tried them with Spiral Dots, particularly. Have you tried them with SpinFits or Final Audio tips?

nice, i will have ak70 in few days, really glad to hear it noise free, had dp-x1 too in the past, would agree on how silent it is, really good dap for the price :D
the thing with IEM is the sound really depend on the tips and insertion, it could really affect your impression and how you perceive it compared to other people.

SE5U doesn't have the best treble in this shootout not because of its high rank which gives it that privilege. Even my custom Aether is better than it and I know some people don't like it either for what they consider "muted" treble compared to their iems.
People who enjoy SE5U is for its definition of notes and timbre also other areas such as staging and separation in combination. Heck, its too slow for metal
It seems like you have both of them, wouldn't mind sharing your comparison on here? also with other hp that you have.

It seems that you have both of them and few other hps such as the LCD. Would you mind doing a comparison especially between Encore and SE5U? alot of people here are wondering about this SE5U . I have listened to Encore and know how it sounds but not entirely with SE5U. (Heck, for a moment i was thinking cancelling my order of SE5U because it didn't sound better than Encore because my Aether just beats it in plain sight)

seconded that, would love to hear the comparison between encore and SE5U, btw have you received your SE5U @gearofwar ? any hassle in the overall remoulding process etc.? i heard they only accept wire transfer (duh)

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,483 of 39,414
SE5U doesn't have the best treble in this shootout not because of its high rank which gives it that privilege. Even my custom Aether is better than it and I know some people don't like it either for what they consider "muted" treble compared to their iems.
People who enjoy SE5U is for its definition of notes and timbre also other areas such as staging and separation in combination. Heck, its too slow for metal
It seems like you have both of them, wouldn't mind sharing your comparison on here? also with other hp that you have.
This. Aether imo has pretty much the perfect Treble for the Treble sensitive. However, people who prefer a bright signature will like IEMs like the Encore more.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,484 of 39,414
This. Aether imo has pretty much the perfect Treble for the Treble sensitive. However, people who prefer a bright signature will like IEMs like the Encore more.
and are you also treble sensitive?

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,485 of 39,414
I didn't referenced the SE5U just because it's in the top 2, but it's the other ciem that I own and I can honestly compare to the Encore.

For sure in the next CanJam near NYC I'll spend much more time to test different iems.

I would LOVE to hear a comparison between the SE5U and the Encore. The Encore is currently my favorite IEM from Noble, and although I'm sure they sound very different, I'd love to know how different the SE5U is with the Encore as a familiar base line.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,488 of 39,414
Yes sir I am. One of the reasons I went with the A12
I must check out this u12 , we seem to have delicate ears lol
Me too, that is why I went for the Custom Art Ei.3 and have, aside from the U12 (sadly no A12 for me), the H8.2 high on my wish list.
I found 8.2 is a bit brighter than Aether , the treble is safe but not as wonderful. The mid and bass on 8.2 stood out most

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,489 of 39,414
I would LOVE to hear a comparison between the SE5U and the Encore. The Encore is currently my favorite IEM from Noble, and although I'm sure they sound very different, I'd love to know how different the SE5U is with the Encore as a familiar base line.

I'll try to post a short comparison this afternoon.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3,490 of 39,414
I must check out this u12 , we seem to have delicate ears lol

I found 8.2 is a bit brighter than Aether , the treble is safe but not as wonderful. The mid and bass on 8.2 stood out most

That's interesting, what tips did you demo the H8.2 with? I've always found the H8.2 warmer than the Aether due to its more laidback treble, but it does have this powdery texture that adds great clarity despite the darker tonality.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,491 of 39,414
That's interesting, what tips did you demo the H8.2 with? I've always found the H8.2 warmer than the Aether due to its more laidback treble, but it does have this powdery texture that adds great clarity despite the darker tonality.
I used Campfire tips and had been warned that 8.2 universal's performance is far from custom ver.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,492 of 39,414
but it does have this powdery texture that adds great clarity despite the darker tonality.

That's a new one for me. lol What does that mean?

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,493 of 39,414
I used Campfire tips and had been warned that 8.2 universal's performance is far from custom ver.
With my Ei.3 I really need to use the double flange tips to get close to the sound of the CIEMs. I had to rely on Spinfit tips for the first couple of days because the guys forgot to include tips with my reshell, but that was an absolutely horrible combination. So yes, the universal versions of the Custom Art CIEMs might be heavily influenced by the tips.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3,494 of 39,414

I haven't tried that combo before unfortunately, and I haven't heard the H8.2 demo in quite a while. Lemme know if you want me to make a universal-vs-custom comparison some time in the future.

That's a new one for me. lol What does that mean?

It's a simpler and IMO more descriptive way of saying smooth with a quick decay. Cymbals in particular, when struck, shimmer away as if they're "disintegrating", if you understand what I mean. Instead of a sizzly "shhhh..." after the fundamental, it's more like a "fffffff..." kind of decay. Auditions are great, guys, try them! :D

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,495 of 39,414
I haven't tried that combo before unfortunately, and I haven't heard the H8.2 demo in quite a while. Lemme know if you want me to make a universal-vs-custom comparison some time in the future.

It's a simpler and IMO more descriptive way of saying smooth with a quick decay. Cymbals in particular, when struck, shimmer away as if they're "disintegrating", if you understand what I mean. Instead of a sizzly "shhhh..." after the fundamental, it's more like a "fffffff..." kind of decay. Auditions are great, guys, try them! :D

tia Fourté was the first piece of gear I've ever had the opportunity to audition before buying. In Kansas City, there are just no locations anywhere nearby for this kind of equipment.

I couldn't believe my luck that the guy selling the Fourté was a local KC boy. I arranged a meet after work yesterday, and I walked away much poorer, but much happier. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back