Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #781 of 856
I'm also curious about the best DAP for the buck ? Most of the ones listed are very expensive. Several thousand $. Of course they'll sound great.
I'd love to see a list of great DAP's under $1,000. For me the FIIO M11Plus along with the Shanling M6 Ultra.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #782 of 856
I'm also curious about the best DAP for the buck ? Most of the ones listed are very expensive. Several thousand $. Of course they'll sound great.
I'd love to see a list of great DAP's under $1,000. For me the FIIO M11Plus along with the Shanling M6 Ultra.

Most folks here carry around over 10K stuff as portable listening apparatus (dap, iem, cable, amp, etc) if not much much more..
My co-worker thinks I am crazy spending this much dough on dap which he thinks he can achieve with a cell phone and wireless earpiece. Yes, I am a stupid and need a serious counselling but still having fun??? I actually miss good old day when I thought NWZ-X1061 (only 300 bucks) was the greatest mini dap ever existed. I still do..

Jan 2, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #787 of 856
have you tried the wm1zm2? it seems people are divisive on wether the wm1zm2 is better or the OG 1z.

Only briefly. Concensus from a few people I trust is that the WM1Z2 doesn't quite hit the level of sonic refinement that the WM1Z does. Specifcally it seems the OG 1Z has more of a bass tilt whereas the 1ZM2 is a little brighter and upper mid focused. I can't verify this though.

Quite surprised about the poor amount of N8ii in these ranking, is there any reason about it ?

I heard it briefly once early on and found it too bright. My sense at the time is that it was a little overhyped. Time seems to be confirming that suspicion.

Interesting ranking, I agree about places 1 and 2, although personally I think Lp6 Ti AE is better. Lp6 pro before N30 is surprising. Do you mean the Lp6 pro or Lp6 pro Ti99 version?

I preferred the Lp6 just slightly to the N30. It was just a little bit smoother and the bass a bit tighter. I prefer the 1Z to both, however, which may be a controversial opinion. Sony & Cayin really knocked it out of the park with their WM1Z and N8 players, neither which have been properly bested even now imho.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #790 of 856
Only briefly. Concensus from a few people I trust is that the WM1Z2 doesn't quite hit the level of sonic refinement that the WM1Z does. Specifcally it seems the OG 1Z has more of a bass tilt whereas the 1ZM2 is a little brighter and upper mid focused. I can't verify this though.

I heard it briefly once early on and found it too bright. My sense at the time is that it was a little overhyped. Time seems to be confirming that suspicion.

I preferred the Lp6 just slightly to the N30. It was just a little bit smoother and the bass a bit tighter. I prefer the 1Z to both, however, which may be a controversial opinion. Sony & Cayin really knocked it out of the park with their WM1Z and N8 players, neither which have been properly bested even now imho.
I have a problem because I can't listen to it in person anywhere. None of my friends own a Sony.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #793 of 856
have you tried the wm1zm2? it seems people are divisive on wether the wm1zm2 is better or the OG 1z.
One DAP love to try someday, OG WM1Z — 8 years… still loved & talked about by many. 👌🏼

Would agree 1ZM2 sound signature —little brighter, upper mid focused.

My current DAP journey, HiBy R3 Pro - FiiO M11 Plus - WM1AM2 - WM1ZM2 - A105 (portability purposes, BT playback in car).

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #794 of 856
Very interesting quote: did you try all modes? This sensation should not have happened for you on a double amp device which include tubes imo

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #795 of 856
awesome. have you tried Mrwalkman firmware? or do you keep wm1z on stock? I've an npaudio modded wm1a and while I tried stock wm1a firmware, I was wondering what the stock wm1z firmware is like.

To me the Mrwalkman firmware is a big step over stock 1a :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back