Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #511 of 855
But wm1z and m17 in same spot... Nah. Those 2 are separate. Wm1z surely isn't reference or desktop class.

So you would say wm1z surpassed ar-m2 in dynamics and the other areas you mentioned?
As I said, my list is based on various aspects of the SQ. The WM1Z is pretty capable on all fronts and sports one of the most organic and tonally rich SQ there is. At the same time, the M17 might not be as lush or organic but can push around quite a few hard to move sets of cans with enough detail and dynamics to bring it close to a desktop setup in that regard. That way they're both on the same spot in my ranking.

In all fairness though, I should actually revisit the Sony coz it's been a while I've heard it. I'll update the ranking if my mind changes after listening to it again.

This is the problem with this list see, can't afford to own these sets all at once. Listening to them at different times in different settings (usually) will lead to inadvertent overlaps and differences in perception. Nonetheless, any DAP in this list is extremely capable and will satisfy even the most demanding users.

wonder if this thread should not be named "Rank your best liked DAPs ..."

Coming back to the "more refined list" issue, that not only I brought up here before.
I could see WM1Z for being very "engaging, musical" high up in a rank and at the "same" level M17 high up for "impressively strong sounding".
And for that why not "liking" them the same although they are very diffent.

I am about to put my new rank having purchased a P6 Pro. So difficult to put a "sound rank" when you compare M9 (AKM) vs totally different P6 Pro (R2R). Both so nice and so different!

I agree. I think I'll try to make my list a bit more objective as well. I'll have to dig out my old notebooks for the older observations but it should be worth it. I'll update when I get to listen to the Oriolus DPS-L2 (given ofcourse that it makes the list).

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #512 of 855
As I said, my list is based on various aspects of the SQ. The WM1Z is pretty capable on all fronts and sports one of the most organic and tonally rich SQ there is. At the same time, the M17 might not be as lush or organic but can push around quite a few hard to move sets of cans with enough detail and dynamics to bring it close to a desktop setup in that regard. That way they're both on the same spot in my ranking.

In all fairness though, I should actually revisit the Sony coz it's been a while I've heard it. I'll update the ranking if my mind changes after listening to it again.

This is the problem with this list see, can't afford to own these sets all at once. Listening to them at different times in different settings (usually) will lead to inadvertent overlaps and differences in perception. Nonetheless, any DAP in this list is extremely capable and will satisfy even the most demanding users.

I agree. I think I'll try to make my list a bit more objective as well. I'll have to dig out my old notebooks for the older observations but it should be worth it. I'll update when I get to listen to the Oriolus DPS-L2 (given ofcourse that it makes the list).
I

I'm genuinely Curios, why the ar-m2 so low on your list? And have you heard the calyxm?

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #513 of 855

I have LPGT and NW-WM1Z. I love them both, but the Sony gets more time. Someone posted this.

Screenshot_20220328-123505_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #514 of 855
I

I'm genuinely Curios, why the ar-m2 so low on your list? And have you heard the calyxm?
The AR-M2 is very capable but is clearly inferior when it comes to resolution, detail retrieval and soundstage. Infact if it hadn't been for the rich engaging sound and drive capability, it wouldn't have made the list. Things have moved along since 2016. With devices like the M9, N8ii, M17, etc; the differences are quite stark. The new age DAPs resolve far better and present more information on a wider soundscape, something that the AR-M2 doesn't do so well hence the lower rank. It's good but modern competitors offer better (in terms of the above SQ descriptors atleast).

I have LPGT and NW-WM1Z. I love them both, but the Sony gets more time.
No wonder. Of all the DAPs I've heard, the Sony had the most unique sound of them all. It may not be as detailed as some of its competitors nor have similar driving power; but it's dynamics, warmth and timbre are whole different level. Very solid DAP indeed. I'll see if I can revisit it somehow. Will give me more perspective if it's still got the chops.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #515 of 855
The AR-M2 is very capable but is clearly inferior when it comes to resolution, details retrieval and soundstage. Infact if it hadn't been for the rich engaging sound and drive capability, it wouldn't have made the list. Things have moved along since 2016. With devices like the M9, N8ii, M17, etc; the differences are quite stark. The new age DAPs resolve far better and present more information on a wider soundscape, something that the AR-M2 doesn't do so well hence the lower rank. It's good but modern competitors offer better (in terms of the above SQ descriptors atleast).

No wonder. Of all the DAPs I've heard, the Sony had the most unique sound of them all. It may not be as detailed as some of its competitors nor have the similar driving power; but it's dynamics, warmth and timbre are whole different level. Very solid DAP indeed. I'll see if I can revisit it somehow. Will give me more perspective if it's still got the chops.
I cannot decide which I like best. I get in moods for different signatures. The PMEQ on LPGT and NW-WM1Z's unique sound has enabled me to whittle it down to these two DAPs. I use Shure SRH1540 with LPGT and Shure SRH1540/SRH1840 with the Sony. All balanced. The SRH1840 doesn't sound great on LPGT for some reason. ****CORRECTION**** The SRH1840 sounds excellent with LPGT as well. I finally unlocked the proper PMEQ settings.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #516 of 855
1. Cayin N8ii
2. iBasso DX300 MAX SS
3. Cayin N8BB Romi
4. Cayin N8BB
5. Shanling M9
6. Cayin N8
7. Cayin N6ii E01/T01/A01
8. Fiio M11 Pro
9. Hiby R6 Pro Purple
10. ibasso DX200
11. AK SR25

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #517 of 855
I cannot decide which I like best. I get in moods for different signatures. The PMEQ on LPGT and NW-WM1Z's unique sound has enabled me to whittle it down to these two DAPs. I use Shure SRH1540 with LPGT and Shure SRH1540/SRH1840 with the Sony. All balanced. The SRH1840 doesn't sound great on LPGT for some reason.
Yes lot of variation with partnering gear.
I don't really drive my full size HPs with portable stuff anyway (90% of them atleast), so it's basically down to just IEMs for me. But I do test the DAPS with both just to know how good the amp section is.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #518 of 855
Yes lot of variation with partnering gear.
I don't really drive my full size HPs with portable stuff anyway (90% of them atleast), so it's basically down to just IEMs for me. But I do test the DAPS with both just to know how good the amp section is.
I can't use IEMs anymore. As I age, inserting anything into the ear canals turns my ears into grotesque wax factories. I am 100% portable, so that does limit the headphones I choose. The Shures are fairly easy to drive. They partner well with the DAPs I have.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #519 of 855
I can't use IEMs anymore. As I age, inserting anything into the ear canals turns my ears into grotesque wax factories. I am 100% portable, so that does limit the headphones I choose. The Shures are fairly easy to drive.
Oh damn. That's sad.
The Shures are underrated IMHO. Very capable cans for the price.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #520 of 855
Oh damn. That's sad.
The Shures are underrated IMHO. Very capable cans for the price.
The LPGT drives the SRH1540 beautifully. The NW-WM1Z is particularly skilled at making SRH1840 sound incredible. Plenty of headroom and dynamics. I had Meze Empyrean on tour, but kept going back to the SRH1540. After a certain point, price doesn't really correlate to sound. You're basically just paying to be a Guinea pig for new technologies. I liked the Shure SE846 when I had them.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #521 of 855
The AR-M2 is very capable but is clearly inferior when it comes to resolution, detail retrieval and soundstage. Infact if it hadn't been for the rich engaging sound and drive capability, it wouldn't have made the list. Things have moved along since 2016. With devices like the M9, N8ii, M17, etc; the differences are quite stark. The new age DAPs resolve far better and present more information on a wider soundscape, something that the AR-M2 doesn't do so well hence the lower rank. It's good but modern competitors offer better (in terms of the above SQ descriptors atleast).

No wonder. Of all the DAPs I've heard, the Sony had the most unique sound of them all. It may not be as detailed as some of its competitors nor have similar driving power; but it's dynamics, warmth and timbre are whole different level. Very solid DAP indeed. I'll see if I can revisit it somehow. Will give me more perspective if it's still got the chops.
Detail and resolution are overrated. I go strictly by what pleases my ears the most. I base things on what gets most of my time, and that's NW-WM1Z. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my LPGT, but the Sony still grabs 70% of my time. There have to be many intangible, unmeasurable aspects to music and "musicality."

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #522 of 855
Detail and resolution are overrated. I go strictly by what pleases my ears the most. I base things on what gets most of my time, and that's NW-WM1Z. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my LPGT, but the Sony still grabs 70% of my time. There have to be many intangible, unmeasurable aspects to music and "musicality."

Preach...this is why in my short demo the admittedly great Cayin n8ii did not pose a threat to the Shanling M9 for me.

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #523 of 855
Preach...this is why in my short demo the admittedly great Cayin n8ii did not pose a threat to the Shanling M9 for me.
I should not have read this. Now my comparison M9 vs N8ii on Saturday will be biased 😁.
But still interesting since there will be 3MAX and P6 Pro in the competition too

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #524 of 855
I should not have read this. Now my comparison M9 vs N8ii on Saturday will be biased 😁.
But still interesting since there will be 3MAX and P6 Pro in the competition too

Will be curious for your thoughts. I only had a short time with the n8ii so my impressions are by no means comprehensive. At the end of the day I feel no temptation to move on to the n8ii, which is what I really wanted to determine for myself when I listened to it.

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #525 of 855
I found the N8ii to be less "detailed" than the M9. It's DAC lacks that refinement you find in modern DS dacs that tend to really squeeze out that last bit of info in the material. This is very apparent when you use the n8ii as a line level unit. The M9 runs circles around the n8ii's Dac in this usage scenario.

The N8ii's only saving grace is its amplification section. Lot of settings and therefore flexibility. It's not as powerful as that on the M17 (DC) but it grants excellent texture to the sound that makes up for the DACs shortcomings.

I hope Cayin can tease out more performance from the N8ii's DAC through future firmware updates and tweaks.

Edit: Sorry the windows clipboard seems to have an opinion of it's own these days😅

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back