Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #541 of 847
Haven't heard the SP2K but you asked for a player that "plays emotionally" and imho it's hard to top Shanling here. I don't know anything about the AR M2...I didn't even know they still made it.
I would get the AR M2 around 600€ used but it dosent even use balanced output. If you are familiar with the AK SR 25 how would you described the sound in comparison? Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #542 of 847
what is currently the best DAP that plays "emotionally" instead of incredibly neutral in the $1000 range, whether used or new? My experience so far is a Fiio X7, an iBasso DX 160 and currently the Astell Kern SR 15. I found the last one to sound the best. Just wondering what the next step is.
I still have FiiO X7ii lying around, but emotionally Shanling M8 is way better.
I stepped up to M9, so I might be interested in selling my M8 🙂

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #545 of 847
I would get the AR M2 around 600€ used but it dosent even use balanced output. If you are familiar with the AK SR 25 how would you described the sound in comparison? Thank you!
If you need a dap that has balanced output you can scratch M2 from your list but if you only care about sound and you can cope with the fact that M2 is not the fastest dap in navigation through folders, it was released in 2014 I will highly recommend the M2 for sound quality beats many more expensive daps. There is a used one on the classified for 450 Euro. I think it is a bargain but maybe I am not the one you should listen very carefully because I am a bit biased because I like the M2 quite a lot, I even have a spare one in case it is going to stop working

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #546 of 847
I had many daps like Cayin N8, Sony WM1Z, Shanling M8, Fiio M15, Sony WM1Z, Astell Kern AK380 and I like the Acoustic Research AR-M2 more than any of these. The only other dap that I like equally is the Calyx M but for different reasons, that one is a warm sounding dap with short battery life and slow UI but for sound alone is up there with the best

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #547 of 847
I still have FiiO X7ii lying around, but emotionally Shanling M8 is way better.
I stepped up to M9, so I might be interested in selling my M8 🙂
I was interested in M8, but ended up with a mint NW-WM1Z.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #548 of 847
I had many daps like Cayin N8, Sony WM1Z, Shanling M8, Fiio M15, Sony WM1Z, Astell Kern AK380 and I like the Acoustic Research AR-M2 more than any of these. The only other dap that I like equally is the Calyx M but for different reasons, that one is a warm sounding dap with short battery life and slow UI but for sound alone is up there with the best
I agree with @immortalsoul AR-M2 is amazing and better than most summit-fi players. I will likely never sell mine. It is old and not the most detailed when compared to the tech focused $2000+ daps, but its overall gestalt is incomparable. And for the price, c'mon?
Even if its in the top 25 daps, that would be amazing, but its not, its in the top 10. I put in on par with my N6ii Ti, though they serve different purposes, they are very complimentary.

If you have an opportunity to grab one, do it. You can always add a usual, dime a dozen player later if you find the lack of streaming options, age, or speed limiting.
I would avoid if you require super black backgrounds and a more digital presentation like an ESS based player. It's what I would call "Power-Musical", but also mid-centric and neutral.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #550 of 847
I just noticed that someone bought yesterday the Acoustic Research AR-M2 that was in the classified. I hope he/she will like it and be happy with the purchase

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #552 of 847
Can anybody compare the quloos QA361 to the AR-M2? I have the latter and might be interested in the minimalistic nature of the first.
Vastly different in almost every aspect.

From a technical standpoint the Quloos might be two notches above. Better detail, dynamics, imaging, control, driveability, outright slam. It's got the cleanest sound of any DAP I've heard in it's price range or above (bested only by it's bigger brother QA390).
However the 361 is only recommended if you want sound. There is no streaming, no apps, no eq, hell there's no way to make a playlist! Just load your music on an SD card and that's about it. It's just a purist's wet dream and a general user's nightmare.

The AR-M2 sound quality OTOH veers towards musicality than outright detail. Warm, textured, dynamic and engaging.
It's a more likeable presentation overall that always makes a good first impression. It's also more user friendly with a modern GUI and all the bells and whistles, etc. (however not 2022 good)(case in point Shanling M9, Fiio M17, Cayin N8ii etc).

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #553 of 847
I decided to ignore opinions, that my musicality / clarity rating is crap and continue to give it anyways :xf_cool:
But maybe giving number grading was not the best idea, so I go like this:

Rating by "clarity" which consists of clarity, resolution, stage and detail (not a fan of calling it "technicalities" since it sounds judging. Music is more then "technical" also for those who prefer better "clarity")
Rating by "musicality" which consists of flow of music, immersion, engaging sound, foot tapping, "magic", ...

Ranking by musicality preference
M9 / P6 Pro (but they are so different!)
M8 / 3MAX (SD card mod + Mango mode)
N8ii / AK ACRO CA1000 / 3MAX (normal)
220MAX
M15

Ranking by clarity preference
3MAX / N8ii
220MAX / AK ACRO CA1000
M9 / P6 Pro
M15
M8

Compared via VE EXT (some with VE Elysium)

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #554 of 847
Preach...this is why in my short demo the admittedly great Cayin n8ii did not pose a threat to the Shanling M9 for me.
I am curious about the M30

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #555 of 847
Wondering why am not seeing Lp6 or Lp6 Ti
Better late than never. Yes LP6 TI and TI7 should be the best. One needs to remember that only 99 TI7s were made and only 199 LP6 TIs were made. This number is too small and most of the people who bought them are from Asia. It didn't even get a chance to be shipped out and was snapped up since they were made in China.
I did a review of it here for those who wants to see both. But hearing is believing. Of course there are things to improve on it but if purely on the sound, I cannot find a DAP who can beat it in terms of natural, faithful sound retrieval of the highest fidelity. well not yet:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back