Raleigh / Durham / Cary, NC Meet: Saturday and/or Sunday, March 21st - 22nd, 2015
Mar 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #61 of 120
Room for one more? On Saturday I can bring:

Stationary:
  1. McIntosh Mac 4100 receiver
  2. Cary Xciter DAC
  3. HiFiMan HE-6 headphones
  4. Sony CD3000 headphones

Portable:
  1. LH Labs Geek Out 100IEM

A lot of albums in ALAC and some random other things.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #63 of 120
sure there is room for more folks to attend!.... the more the merrier ardgegee!  and some different gear for others to try as well!  Perfect!

Vinnie's RWA stuff is awesome!  We carried the line until he went factory direct with the new super capacitor LIO.  I loved his headphone amp boards...  really nice overall sonic balance....

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #66 of 120
Wow! I never thought that there'd be a meet in my own backyard! If it weren't for the gear, I could walk to this event.

I plan to bring:

Headphones: Etymotic ER4s and HF5; Sennheiser HD600;
Amp: FiiO A12
DAP: FiiO X3
DAC: iFi iDAC
Speakers: JBL LSR305 (if allowed ;-P)
Source: laptop with foobar2000 & iFi ASIO driver

Cheers... Brian

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #67 of 120
OK guys.... by my count, we've got 20 guys bringing gear to the event.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really excited to get a chance to listen to some of it :)  I'm going to try to recruit some of the usual suspects to help assist at my table of stuff to allow me to circulate more at this one and listen to all the cool stuff that should be in attendance.  I updated the first post again to show what folks have indicated they are bringing... if you have changed your mind about bringing stuff or have different items than previously mentioned, please let us know.  Thanks!

For those folks that are bringing gear:  please bring along any power cords, extension cords, power strips, power conditioners, cables, remotes, etc. you think you might need to use with the gear.  I got cleaned out of a few demo power conditioners by customers in the past week or two and I haven't had a chance to get replacements broken in again.  I'm going to bring along a few extras beyond say my trusty PS Audio P10 and a few other units I used at the last event.  But I won't have enough for everyone's gear.  I'm also not certain on where all the power outlets are located in the room (I'm going to try to get in this week to get a better lay of the land before the show to inform/warn folks about how we'll have to setup the tables for maximum convenience to power outlets)...

I thought about doing some sort of raffle to help offset some of Sol's expenses for munchies, clubhouse rental, etc.  beyond just me giving him some money.  It might be cool to add some excitement as well.  Is there interest in something like that?  What would be the suggestions for giveaway items?  Something like Sennheiser Urbanite XLs, Momentums, HD600s, ADL H118 or H128?  I'm not sure we'd get enough participation to give away a set of Audeze EL-8s :)  I probably should have asked some of my manufacturers if they were interested in sponsoring... but I was thinking that might make it seem like something commercially I was promoting instead of it being social based...  oh well.... by the time we have half a dozen more of these, we'll figure out the ins and outs, right? :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #68 of 120
Room for one more? On Saturday I can bring:
Stationary:
  1. HiFiMan HE-6 headphones

Art.  Will be great to see you.  I'm so glad you are bringing the HE-6.  That is what I was really hoping someone would bring.  :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #69 of 120
Shane,

Can you give us the actual address for Pirates Cove so we can enter it into a GPS device? Also, the directions on the Pirates Cove page says there are 2 entrances-which one do we use?

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #70 of 120
Can't wait for the meeting this week! I also recently snagged a modded Little Dot 1+ recently that I'm going to bring along to the meet. It's been a pretty fun little toy, would love to see how it mixes with some of the gear there.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #71 of 120
  Shane,

Can you give us the actual address for Pirates Cove so we can enter it into a GPS device? Also, the directions on the Pirates Cove page says there are 2 entrances-which one do we use?

636 Blackshoals Drive Cary, NC 27511

I added it to the first post...  for anyone that hasn't already confirmed on the thread their attendance or mentioned it to me privately via PM, please do NOT just show up without letting us know you are coming.  Trying to make sure we keep good idea on headcount for munchies and to make sure we don't have a mad rush of folks at the end unexpectedly :)  Thanks!

I'm going to try to organize a list to see who is coming on what day...  if you haven't already stated in a post here in the open (or if your previous decision has changed), please let me know if you are coming Saturday only, Sunday only, or both days...  that way I can organize the equipment list as well....

it seems so far the overwhelming majority are coming Saturday and not a whole lot are mentioning coming both days or coming back for the sunday timeslot as well... but I'll put it together to see if my impressions match reality or not....

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #72 of 120
Hello I will be in town from Detroit and I have my headphone gear with me so I would love to come out and see what the local crowd is listing to. I will have my RS-1's and my LCD 3's and some other gear with me. I will try to come on Saturday, and I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks,
Walter  

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #73 of 120
I just saw this today, and realized I'll be in Cary for a meeting on Saturday, and would love to be able to stop by to listen to some gear. I'm a relative novice, but I could bring Hifiman HE-500's, Fidelio X2's, and I got a pair of UE 6000 that I use for my office. I could also bring Yamaha EPH 100, and Monster Miles Davis Trumpets. I don't think I'll be able to bring any electronics however.  Is it OK if I can just come over in the evening?

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #74 of 120
Just saw this in an email! I'm in Fayetteville and talked the wife into going.

My gear:

Headphones:
  1. V-Moda XS
  2. ATH-M50x w/ larger leather pads (HM5)
  3. Senn HD598 w/ velour pads (HM5)
  4. Audeze LCD-XC 

Amps:
  1. FiiO E18
  2. Schiit Magni 2 Uber
  3. Schiit Lyr 2 w/ Amperex 7308 vintage gold pins

DACs:
  1. Schiit Uberfrost (optical/coax only)
  2. Schiit Modi 2 Uber

Sources:
  1. Audio-Technica AT-LP120 (Turntable)
  2. Tidal & Spotify on my Samsung S4 via USB OTG

Notes:
  1. If anyone has a spare CD player with optical/coax out they can use my Uberfrost, if not the Uberfrost is pretty much useless. I don't have any CD's though.
  2. My S4 only really works with the Modi 2 Uber (USB) and the FiiO E18.
  3. I'm comfortable with bringing my turntable and my 30ish or so records. 
  4. Here is a short list of some my records: (I'll try to get a list shortly)
    1. https://open.spotify.com/user/bobguymann/playlist/3Nc0qbAkQXqEwUws7RwQ8z
    2. http://listen.tidalhifi.com/playlist/639edba2-6ed8-4749-8542-0adade782abc

I don't have any problems with bringing it all but like I say my best amp is the Lyr 2 and with my current gear it'll only work with either my S4 > Modi 2 Uber > Lyr or S4 > FiiO E18. 

My LCD-XC has a simple suspension mod I'm testing out I made myself using an old seat belt to improve comfort but I can change it back to stock in less than 5 mins.

If the slots are full then that's fine, I may visit and just bring my cans in case anyone else wants to give them a whirl since they are the most portable.

I haven't had a chance to skim thru everything but is there a entrance fee or anything like that? This'll be my first meetup.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #75 of 120

1. If anyone has a spare CD player with optical/coax out they can use my Uberfrost, if not the Uberfrost is pretty much useless. I don't have any CD's though.

Mac laptops (and some PC laptops -- Lenovo and Toshiba, I think?) have headphone jacks that will also do optical out.

I'll bring some optical cables with 1/4" adaptors in case that's useful to anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back