Rainbow Foil, Initial impressions
Apr 18, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #196 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
You've both made your opinions clear ALREADY. You believe this ******** works and he doesn't.

I take it "Bullsh*t" is a reference to the "Peter Belt Rainbow Foil" and I assume your appraisal results from your listening tests with Rainbow foil?

Quote:

As far as whether that essay is worth reading, I personally doubt that anyone who doesn't believe this crap works is going to bother reading it (me...).

Why are you contributing to this thread then if you aren't going to bother reading anything as you don't believe in it, are you only here to thread crap?

Quote:

However, I'll concede that it's probably interesting and maybe even informative.

That's very open minded of you but why not dispense with the "probablies and evens" and take a few minutes to read it first and then provide comment based on what you have read?

Quote:

If I were you I would encourage discussions on that, possibly in a new thread about the psychology of listening or whatever.

If you were me you'd be of an open mind and would be trying a sample for yourself and wouldn't be shooting of sweeping statements like "You believe this ******** works and he doesn't." "I personally doubt that anyone who doesn't believe this crap works is going to bother reading it" etc. etc.

Quote:

However, the rest of your posting back and forth with Rodbac about whether the foil works is pure idiocy. Let it go already.

Oh you managed to read that then? You're obviously a selective perceiver who only reads what they want to..... you say you're not interested in reading about the rainbow foil........ again I ask, "why are you looking at this thread?"

Quote:

Now someone is going to point out that my posting is idiocy, and I'll spot you a quick touche to avoid saying it later.
wink.gif

You said it.

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #197 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Ok, after 40 minutes of this and 10 identical tracks from 2 different discs being fired into my ears I was ready for the results and here they are as they were recorded by my assistant and the CD revealed in brackets:

Track one: "sounds good" (rainbow 2)
Track two: "sounds the same" (rainbow 2)
Track three: "same again" (rainbow 2)
Track four: "much more defined, easier to follow" (Rainbow 1)
Track five: "same as the last one analytical" (Rainbow 1)
Track six: "slightly veiled yet musical" (Rainbow 2)
Track seven: "definitely more open and airy" (Rainbow 1)
Track Eight: "that's the same track again (laugh) " (Rainbow 1)
Track nine: "that's the other disc it's veiled" (Rainbow 2)
Track ten: "ok lets call it a day that's the one I like" (Rainbow1)

When I looked at the results, fully expecting the tracks that sounded open, analytical and detailed to be rainbow 2 and found they were the untreated disc I was pretty gobsmacked!

Hey, I'm impressed that you were able to tell the two discs apart with that much accuracy.

I'm 3 days and a hundred posts behind in this thread, so maybe this has been brought up already, but here goes anyway.

My guess is that the real difference here is that the little strips of foil tape threw off the balance of the CD and affected the way it was read by the player. (jitter?)

If I'm right, any heavy tape like duct tape or whatever would make a difference.

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #198 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Hey, I'm impressed that you were able to tell the two discs apart with that much accuracy.

I'm 3 days and a hundred posts behind in this thread, so maybe this has been brought up already, but here goes anyway.

My guess is that the real difference here is that the little strips of foil tape threw off the balance of the CD and affected the way it was read by the player. (jitter?)

If I'm right, any heavy tape like duct tape or whatever would make a difference.

Very possible Earwax and highly probable. I can't quite grasp why some CD's sound "a lot better" with the foil and others sound a tad "muddy" it's maybe a balance issue throwing the CD into oscillation or maybe that's the way Rainbow foil thinks the CD should sound............ I'm still trying to figure it out and will report back in due course.

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #199 of 466
I think that everything the Belts have on their website is slanted towards giving the impression that their products work. Given HOW their products work, it's very important that everything give the right impression. If you're going to try the foil, reading through the website would be a good idea. In fact, I think that's one of the main purposes of the website.

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #200 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I think that everything the Belts have on their website is slanted towards giving the impression that their products work. Given HOW their products work, it's very important that everything give the right impression. If you're going to try the foil, reading through the website would be a good idea. In fact, I think that's one of the main purposes of the website.

Request a sample my friend.... if you read my initial post I went into this with a very closed mind........ you won't lose anything trying the Rainbow foil FOC.

If it's placebo and it makes you enjoy your music all the more then good....... I believe there's a lot more to it however and I'll upload my findings in due course. In the meantime I urge you to email for a free sample (Free) and evaluate the stuff at your leisure............ give it a try it's a free sample.

Free sample of P.W.B. Silver Rainbow Foil
If you would like a free sample of P.W.B. Silver Rainbow Foil
Please send your full postal address to:-

foil@belt.demon.co.uk

sourced from: http://www.belt.demon.co.uk

As easy as pie.

Pinkie.

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #201 of 466
Heya pinkie. As I said, I don't want to ask them for a free sample when I have no intention of buying it. I would, however, be open to buying a sheet of the $1 stuff if we ever find it
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #202 of 466
Quote:

Heya pinkie. As I said, I don't want to ask them for a free sample when I have no intention of buying it. I would, however, be open to buying a sheet of the $1 stuff if we ever find it
tongue.gif

How do you know you'll never buy it?

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #203 of 466
I know I'll never buy it because I'm a poor person still trying to work my way through college...I'm not at the "tweaks" stage of my system yet! Plenty of ways to go before I spend serious money on tweaks
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #204 of 466
Quote:

I know I'll never buy it because I'm a poor person still trying to work my way through college...I'm not at the "tweaks" stage of my system yet! Plenty of ways to go before I spend serious money on tweaks
tongue.gif

It''s Free

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #205 of 466
Yes, but I don't plan on buying their regular foil, which is quite costly. Plus I"m in the states so them shipping the free sample to me will cost them a pretty penny. And if I ever did buy the foil from them, it cost ME a pretty penny
frown.gif
My next major purchase is going to be a DEQ, most likely...THEN I'll start thinking about tweaks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #206 of 466
ooheadsoo: Morals have no place in audio.
tongue.gif

On topic, I do actually have 4 of my CDs in the freezer. And it will make them sound better, dammit or else.

Team Psychosomatics is, without a doubt, the best team to be on.

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #207 of 466
Got my sample a couple of days ago and finally had the chance to use it. I put the disc in the player, listened carefully to the first 15 seconds of a track I'm very familiar with (FSOL-The Isness, I've heard this song ~40 times) twice in a row, quickly opened the player, put two small piece of the tape on, one on the right, one on the left, and went back to the same track and listened to the first 15 seconds. What I found was that I could detect no difference, none at all. Everything was exactly how it was the first and second time i listened to it, and the 40 times before that. Oh well, it killed a few minutes in the hot anticipation of contemplating, if only for a moment, that a sticker would make a CD sound better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #208 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Got my sample a couple of days ago and finally had the chance to use it. I put the disc in the player, listened carefully to the first 15 seconds of a track I'm very familiar with (FSOL-The Isness, I've heard this song ~40 times) twice in a row, quickly opened the player, put two small piece of the tape on, one on the right, one on the left, and went back to the same track and listened to the first 15 seconds. What I found was that I could detect no difference, none at all. Everything was exactly how it was the first and second time i listened to it, and the 40 times before that. Oh well, it killed a few minutes in the hot anticipation of contemplating, if only for a moment, that a sticker would make a CD sound better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great that your sample arrived highflyin9. Do you think 15 seconds is really enough to detect any differences? Whatever changes there are with any tweak (if any) are usually extremely subtle and can only be detected after a prolonged listen.

If you were auditioning a new cable you wouldn't unplug it after 15 seconds and then plug your old cable in... comparisons can't be made with such a brief listen..... the subtleties of any tweak will only become evident after a good listen and they won't "jump out" and grab you by the balls, it doesn't work that way unfortunately :frowning2:

Try listening to your favourite album all the way through with the rainbow foil in place. It's also a good idea to listen to your crappiest recording too to see if it has improved.

All the best.

Mike.

Apr 19, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #209 of 466
I have to hold my hand up here and admit I skipped much of this thread..

Mike
That diaphragm caught my eye, do you know whether it was actually part of a commercially produced product?
I have a bit of soft spot for planar phones..
biggrin.gif

As for the foil I would certainly exercise caution as to where one actually
sticks it..

Personaly if I want a quick sound upgrade that can easily be undone,
I simply pretend that I am listening with the finest system available to man
cool.gif

And if all else fails, buy new music
biggrin.gif

Setmenu

Apr 19, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #210 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
I've heard this song ~40 times) twice in a row, quickly opened the player, put two small piece of the tape on, one on the right, one on the left, and went back to the same track and listened to the first 15 seconds.

Pinkie's right, that's nowhere near the chance that any other component would get. I love getting ripped apart for A/Bing cables, even though I spend an hour doing it, and being told that it's not a fair way to judge a component. Others insist that I have to 'leave it in my system' for a while.

Really people, for the lack of any solid evidence we've seen for cables making a difference, people are very happy to hand over 100USD for a pair which they usually fail to compare with any scrutiny, but people are very quick to discount and even refuse the possibility of a FREE tweak.

I really think that Mr. Belt would be more successful if he

1) called it "reference foil" instead of "rainbow foil"
2) introduced several models
3) most importantly, charged for it instead of giving it away for free!

ps: Pinkie, have you tried switching the foil onto the other disc to eliminate the possibility it was simply a burn or jitter issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back