Raidho XT-1 - New Version of the Award Winning X-1
Aug 18, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #76 of 132
Great thread @jwbrent! I enjoyed your comments, particularly where you have experience with so many different speakers. Same goes for @podeschi. I find it reassuring you are still loving your XT-1's, as well as podeschi, especially given he has TAD CR1's for a reference.

I have been intrigued for many years by the Raidho speakers. I figured life is short and pulled the trigger on XT-1's today. I also considered the XT-2's and C1.1/1.2 but at the end of the day I am a fan of montiors/subs, and thought I'd start with the XT-1's and go from there. Who knows, perhaps I will love the XT-1's and never think of upgrading them.

I am currently running Revel Ultima Gems, with two Revel Performa3 subs. I am looking forward to seeing how the XT-1's compare to the Gems. If they win, the Gems will be sold. I have absolutely loved the Gems for many many years and that kept me from trying Raidho.

Excited for the XT-1's to arrive!

If you like the Revel sound you should also check out the PerformaBe M126Be or the Ultima Gem2s--which is basically a mini-Salon 2.

I like Raidho bookshelf speakers but since I prefer to run my monitors full range they are a bit bass shy for me, and have voiced with too much upper bass to compensate. I also don't generally prefer the limited vertical axis dispersion of ribbons, especially when bolted on to fixed height stands.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #77 of 132
@nvfan: I do love the Revel sound (few, if any, speaker companies have R&D facilities and design professionals that can match, thanks to Harmon International's financial resources). I have been a Revel guy forever. The tweeter and tweeter wave guide on the M126Be would be a nice upgrade, but otherwise, they are not in the same league as the Gems. Now, the Gem 2's are super nice. So nice in fact that Bob Katz uses them for his mastering studio. That speaks volumes for the quality of that speaker.

I did extensive back and forth A/B in my room with the Gems and XT-1's. I will post more detailed info later, and the Gems held their own and exceeded the XT-1's in some aspects, but in the end, I find that I am loving the Raidho tweeter. Note that due to my musical tastes I would never run the XT-1's without a subwoofer. The Gems go far deeper and have more slam than the XT-1's, but they are much bigger speakers with 2 woofers.

These are my first ribbon tweeter speakers, and buying them without having demo'ed them first, I was concerned about the limited vertical axis of ribbon tweeters in general, but with the XT-1's this is not an issue. I am not sure if it is the stand design (the speakers tilt back), but the sound stage height is not a problem. It is not as tall as my Gems, but still good (note the Gems, sitting on the Gem stands, are taller than the XT-1's so that also makes a difference).

I will be installing the IsoAcoustics Gaia III footers and that will raise them higher, so that might further increase the sound stage height. Note, I run the XT-1's full range, I do not cross them over to my subs. After lots of experimenting, I have them very well integrated now. I have dual subs, a Revel Performa3 B110 (10") and a Revel Performa3 B112 (12"), so, sort of a 'cascading' way to ease the transition from the XT-1's to the subs.

I will post more thoughts later. Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the XT-1 footer screws are not 6mm as I wrote previously in this thread. They are 4mm (M4 x 0.7 to be precise). Fortunately, IsoAcoustics is sending me custom M4 x 0.7 screws at no charge.

It will be interesting to listen for any sonic differences compared to using the stock footers.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #78 of 132
I believe the stand is designed to assist with vertical dispersion, and perhaps also to achieve time coherency between the two drivers.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #79 of 132
Update:

I was able to place my Raidho XT-1's in my room in the factory suggested placement (9 feet apart), which turns out to work the best based on my extensive tweaking and comparing. The room is about 18' x 13' and is in an upstairs loft that overlooks the downstairs living room. The XT's are about 3 feet from the "first" front wall (not a wall, just a 3 foot partial wall that keeps you from falling downstairs into the living room) and about 8 feet from the second full front wall (all multi-story glass wall). I won't go into much detail about the sound quality as others in this thread and internet fora, professional and otherwise have it covered. Suffice it to say they ended up beating out my Revel Gems, which I've owned and absolutely loved for 15 years or so and at one point were among the world's best monitors, regardless of price.

The Raidho ribbon tweeter is magic (you gotta love the fact that the tweeter on the XT is the exact same tweeter as the one used on Raidho's most expensive speaker at $260K) and blends wonderfully with the mids. Low frequencies are handled/supplemented by two Revel Performa3 subs (I listen to lots of bass-extreme music and subs also help with sound staging/giving a better sonic impression of the acoustic space in which the music was played and recorded). Each sub is sitting on an IsoAcoustic subwoofer stand. I did have a few head-scratching moments in the set up- at first I was confused as to why the imaging was so diffuse/poor (forgot I needed to wire one speaker out of phase for my particular system). Bam, now the imaging was what I was expecting!

I will say, even with the imaging issue sorted out as noted above, I felt like the XT's did not better the Gems in terms of sound staging (dimensions) and imaging. In fact I think the Gems bettered them by a little bit. That is not a knock against the XT's, because the Gems are phenomenal in those areas. I am a sound staging/imaging fanatic. I also felt in terms of letting you hear all the details/plankton, they were close, but the high frequencies overall favored the XT's, which I anticipated.

Ok, after getting the XT's set up properly, I realized about a week later I forgot to adjust the placement of my GIK acoustic panels for the first and second sidewall reflection points, as the Gems were in a different placement. Ahh! That definitely helped things. I settled in and listed for about a month, at which point I decided it was time to install the IsoAcoustic Gaia footers.....

Using the custom M4 screws shipped to me, I installed the footers (you need to make sure the IsoAcoustics logo is facing forward when installed as it is part of the design), hit "play" and.... incredible.

If the Raidho XT-1 is a version 1, after installing the Gaia footers, it now sounds like Raidho XT-1 version 4.

It sounds like a significantly better speaker. It still sounds like a Raidho XT-1, but with the Gaia footers installed:

1. You get a large uptick in clarity/transparency, and I thought the XT's were already crystal clear.
2. More detail.
3. Improved imaging- the singer is exactly right there, whereas before the location was a bit more diffuse, and, the image has more "density" if that make sense.
4. The sound stage is more tightly defined and seems larger.
5. More tonal saturation, more color, more 3D.
6. Now the XT-1's bettered the Gems in terms of detail/imaging/sound stage (of course the Gems didn't have Gaia footers so it may not be fair).
7. Everything just more real- a much higher degree of "there are real musicians performing in my room".
8. Increased "speaker disappearing act" such that the music seems not to emanate from the speakers.

I heard no sonic downside.

We as audiophiles can be a bit nutty and our threshold for being shocked/impressed can be different, but to me, if you own Raidho XT-1's and you are using the standard footers, you are leaving a TON of performance on the table. Your speakers have so much more potential than you realize. If a dealer demoed two XT-1's for me and one had the Gaia footers and the other the standard footers and I was not aware of the footer difference and the dealer just said the XT with the Gaia footers was an improved version of the XT that cost 1/3rd more, I would be annoyed but I would have shelled out the additional $4,500.

Music Direct has a money back policy, I say trying these footers is mandatory for any XT-1 owner:ksc75smile:.

I now understand why these footers recently won the EISA 2019-2020 Best HiFi Upgrade Award.

Before the Gaia footers I was a very satisfied new XT owner (keep them but I might have a wondering eye toward some Vivid Audio speakers in a year or two). Now, I am just over the moon happy and I no longer have any wondering eye toward Vivid speakers. These XT-1's with Gaia footers are keepers and are just so damn good!

Sorry for the comically bad, super crappy iphone pics in poor light:

Raidho-4.jpg

Raidho-1.jpg Raidho-2.jpg Raidho-3.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #80 of 132
Those footers look nice. How much were they, and how did you come by the right size threading?

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #81 of 132
There are three Gaia models depending on the weight of your speaker, which in this case is the Gaia III, which is designed for speakers weighing less than 70 pounds. The Gaia III is $199 for a set of four, so $400 total for the XT-1.

Sorry my pics are so bad but yeah, they look super nice in person and I am impressed with the quality.

I had to take the stock footer screw to a hardware store to determine the right size of screw. They come with a few different screw sizes in the box, but Music Direct has other sizes they can ship. In my case Music Direct did not have the right size so I sent an email to IsoAcoutics in Canada and they shipped the right size for free (M4 x 0.7).

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #82 of 132
Very good to know, thank you. I’m glad you’re enjoying your Raidhos.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #83 of 132
Hello - the Audience are awesome little speakers and like the XT1s they defy their little size, are super coherent, nail the mids/voices, and disappear. I think the XT1 speakers do all of those things a little bit better especially throwing a more expansive soundstage.
Soundstage on the XT-1 is 3D expansive, and the speakers do a total disappearing act.

Thanks guys for answering my question. Podeschi, was it you that posted the review on Audience V3 upgrade in AudioShark?

I am planning to send my Ones V2+ for V3 upgrade, and at the same time an used Raidho X-1 (not XT) came up for sale at an affordable price. What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Room: 11 x 12 feet (with bed, wardrobe, word desk, etc).
My current setup:
DAC: COS Engineering H1

RCA IC: Audience Ohno

Amp: NuForce STA-200 (poor man's Goldmund)

Spkr cable: Audience Ohno

Spkrs: Audience The Ones V2+

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #84 of 132
Thanks guys for answering my question. Podeschi, was it you that posted the review on Audience V3 upgrade in AudioShark?

I am planning to send my Ones V2+ for V3 upgrade, and at the same time an used Raidho X-1 (not XT) came up for sale at an affordable price. What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Room: 11 x 12 feet (with bed, wardrobe, word desk, etc).
My current setup:
DAC: COS Engineering H1

RCA IC: Audience Ohno

Amp: NuForce STA-200 (poor man's Goldmund)

Spkr cable: Audience Ohno

Spkrs: Audience The Ones V2+

That’s a super hard choice. If you are wanting desktop for near field or if you want the speakers out in the room on stands then the Audience is nice and tiny tidy solution. But beauty of the XT-1 is that million dollar tweeter and the fact you can have these close to rear walls in a small room (important to have them wide apart tho). I think run at their best with appropriate amplifier, the XT1 is going to win on 3D and tone.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #85 of 132
That’s a super hard choice. If you are wanting desktop for near field or if you want the speakers out in the room on stands then the Audience is nice and tiny tidy solution. But beauty of the XT-1 is that million dollar tweeter and the fact you can have these close to rear walls in a small room (important to have them wide apart tho). I think run at their best with appropriate amplifier, the XT1 is going to win on 3D and tone.
Unfortunately, it isn't the XT1 for this tempting offer, it's the X1. :beyersmile: Speaking of which, have you compared the X1 to XT1 before?

I thought the X1 (and the XT1) needed lots of space on the side and back. How close can you get to the front and side wall (basically the front 2 corners) before the sounds starts to deteriorate? I'm usually listening near to mid field.
The Audience Ones definitely sounds better with more space from the front wall.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #86 of 132
Unfortunately, it isn't the XT1 for this tempting offer, it's the X1. :beyersmile: Speaking of which, have you compared the X1 to XT1 before?

I thought the X1 (and the XT1) needed lots of space on the side and back. How close can you get to the front and side wall (basically the front 2 corners) before the sounds starts to deteriorate? I'm usually listening near to mid field.
The Audience Ones definitely sounds better with more space from the front wall.

I haven’t heard the X-1s, but my understanding is the difference is primarily in the bass. The titanium coated driver increases the stiffness over the X-1s giving the XT-1s a sense of deeper bass with greater clarity. Depending on the price of the X-1s, you can always upgrade the woofers, so in effect, turn them into XT-1s.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #87 of 132
There are three Gaia models depending on the weight of your speaker, which in this case is the Gaia III, which is designed for speakers weighing less than 70 pounds. The Gaia III is $199 for a set of four, so $400 total for the XT-1.

Sorry my pics are so bad but yeah, they look super nice in person and I am impressed with the quality.

I had to take the stock footer screw to a hardware store to determine the right size of screw. They come with a few different screw sizes in the box, but Music Direct has other sizes they can ship. In my case Music Direct did not have the right size so I sent an email to IsoAcoutics in Canada and they shipped the right size for free (M4 x 0.7).

What about the weight of the stands? That should be taken into account when purchasing the footers too, right?

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #88 of 132
What about the weight of the stands? That should be taken into account when purchasing the footers too, right?

Correct, the combined weight of the speakers and stands should be used. In the case of the X/XT-1 and the corresponding Raidho stand, the total combined weight for each speaker+stand is about 26 pounds.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #89 of 132
I have the XT-1’s arriving on Friday and I purchased 2 sets of the Gaia III’s but for the life of me I cannot find the right m4 bolt. I’ve written to isoAcoustics 2 weeks ago, no response. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back