RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jul 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #571 of 1,184
Yes, the Penta seems to really match my preferred sound signature. Still the Andro S are amazing Iems and other people may prefer them :) Different people, different ears.
I think the Penta are a better companion to the LX anyway.
How do they compare to the LX? I should be getting mine in by Wednesday and I can't wait!

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #572 of 1,184
How do they compare to the LX? I should be getting mine in by Wednesday and I can't wait!

Very different. LX are extremely fun, huge soundstage, big bass.
The Penta to my ears seem more balanced but still very musical.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #573 of 1,184
I've been enjoying the RAI Pentas with lots of heavy metal, some progressive, some death metal and speedy drum work. I do not find them sluggish. Arch Enemy, Alkaloid, Gojira, Aether Realm, Dream Theater -- they all work really well. Obviously, the better recordings and masters (Dream Theater's latest, Aether Realm's Tarot) sound better than the muddy and compressed recordings of, say, Arch Enemy. But in terms of attack and decay, in terms of just the right amount of brilliance (but not too hot), I love these IEMs.

Any chance you’ve listened to some extremely fast (grind-type) metal on these at all. Like Wormrot or Portal? It’s the insanely fast bands like this that make me reluctant to give up my Andromedas, but I can’t have both. Sigh.

At the other end of the spectrum I’d also be curious to see how they handle slower Doom/Sludge metal ala Electric Wizard and Sleep. Do they have that slow impactful deep textured low notes to do this genre justice. Anyone? :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #574 of 1,184
Anyone thinking about upgrading to a lower gauge cable? I'm thinking that SPC is the way to go, but a nice thicker 4 wire variant from EA, PlusSound, or even the new triton litz 24.5 gauge!

I wonder just how much more one can squeeze out of these awesome IEMs.

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #576 of 1,184
Can you please compare them to Earsonics S-EM9 since you have them?
Thank you in advance.

S-EM9 is faster and instruments more separated. Penta is still a fast IEM but not as fast as the S-EM9. Penta is more tonally correct, sligthly warmer than S-EM9. Penta is more balanced, bass is bigger and mids richer. Highs have the same air as the S-EM9 but they are a little smoother. Both have an holographic soundstage, maybe Penta sligthly wider.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #577 of 1,184
Just out of curiosity, anybody knows what Rai means?

May it be ‘heaven’ in romanian? :)

Also, which tips are you using to maxime isolation? Silicon, no foams.

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #578 of 1,184
S-EM9 is faster and instruments more separated. Penta is still a fast IEM but not as fast as the S-EM9. Penta is more tonally correct, sligthly warmer than S-EM9. Penta is more balanced, bass is bigger and mids richer. Highs have the same air as the S-EM9 but they are a little smoother. Both have an holographic soundstage, maybe Penta sligthly wider.

Thank you very much!

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #579 of 1,184
Just out of curiosity, anybody knows what Rai means?

May it be ‘heaven’ in romanian? :)

Also, which tips are you using to maxime isolation? Silicon, no foams.
As a Romanian native speaker I can say that you are correct.
Rai means heaven, as in the heaven above.
Există Rai ( There is heaven ).

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #580 of 1,184
As a Romanian native speaker I can say that you are correct.
Rai means heaven, as in the heaven above.
Există Rai ( There is heaven ).

The Penta really sounds “heavenly” :)

Jul 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #581 of 1,184
could not wait to try my rai penta which I will get next week. after reading all the impressions in this thread, I got more interested in it. it looks like to be something I have been looking for: great fit and comfort, musical, smooth, great bass and great mid (especially vocal), technical capacity is good enough for enjoying music but not to a level that could be distractive or tiring.

I now have a pair of CE-5 which I have enjoyed a lot and almost ticks all the things I have been looking for except for the vocal part. Hopefully rai penta could make me happier.

Jul 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #582 of 1,184
My Rai Penta finally arrived (after delivery issues with Fedex ugh)! Just wondering which of the stock tips people found to be the best? There's so many options so I'm just trying them all at the moment. These sound so amazing right out of the box though! Really looking forward to getting a handle of how these sound but at the moment I can't pick anything out in particular because everything just sounds so good!

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #583 of 1,184
Which dap is the best for the rai penta? I heard that the rai penta has a slightly bright sounding and needs a dap or dac/amp that compesate that. Which dap around 1000 bucks is the best for them? I had 4 on my list: Hiby R6 Pro, iBasso DX220, Fiio M11 and Chord Mojo via OTG on my Onkyo DP-S1.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #584 of 1,184
Which dap is the best for the rai penta?
the DAP you already have that's under 2.5 ohms output impedance. Start there, then tweak. Personally, I find the ibasso amp 7 to be a stellar pairing. I thought the same of this amp with Oriolus Mk2. It seems to control lower impedance dynamic drivers very well. I imagine amp 8 is just as good, or even better, but haven't heard it.

has a slightly bright sounding
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. But I guess anything can be described as bright if coming from a really dark IEM someone is used to. I would say it's lively and articulate, maybe even energetic because of the upper mids and lower treble. But not downright bright, no.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #585 of 1,184
Which dap is the best for the rai penta? I heard that the rai penta has a slightly bright sounding and needs a dap or dac/amp that compesate that. Which dap around 1000 bucks is the best for them? I had 4 on my list: Hiby R6 Pro, iBasso DX220, Fiio M11 and Chord Mojo via OTG on my Onkyo DP-S1.

I find my Rai Penta to sound superb when driven directly from my DP-S1. Give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back