RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #331 of 1,184
I have been taking Penta for over a month, directed by their site, and I find them to be a wonderful object both for their design and construction, for comfort and for sound.
The sound signature clearly changes with the different rubber pads that are supplied, going from a soft sound to a more bad and dynamic sound, my cup of tea is the one with a double flange ear tips.
Listening to the Astell sr15 with balanced cable, a cheap one buy from Amazon, I don't want to think if there is still something better ...

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #332 of 1,184
Any alternatives to the Penta? I'm looking for an all-rounder in the thousand dollar range. Penta seems to fit but I want to know of other options.

I would say the Andromeda S if you can find one. The S has better mids compared to the original Andromeda which has a more V-shaped sound signature.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #333 of 1,184
I would say the Andromeda S if you can find one. The S has better mids compared to the original Andromeda which has a more V-shaped sound signature.
I have owned both the Andromeda and Andromeda S and much prefer the fit and sound of the Penta. It just sounds more engaging and tonally correct to me than did my Andros.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #334 of 1,184
I have owned both the Andromeda and Andromeda S and much prefer the fit and sound of the Penta. It just sounds more engaging and tonally correct to me than did my Andros.

Have you looked at the Noble K10U or Empire Ears Zeus from Massdrop? I figure you want to listen to something different from the Rai Penta.

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #335 of 1,184
I have previously owned the K10U. Currently I am mostly rotating through the inearz Zen4, Tanchjim Oxygen, IMR Zenith, CA Orion and my MG5Pro customs in addition to my Penta.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #337 of 1,184
Does the Highs sound a bit muffled to anyone?
Not with the optimum tips. It is not a bright IEM but rather well balanced across the audio spectrum.

May 1, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #340 of 1,184
Not with the optimum tips. It is not a bright IEM but rather well balanced across the audio spectrum.

Looking forward to the idea of pairing these with Hugo 2 even more then. Given that they aren’t overly bright; hoping they’d pair better than the the Andros would with H2

May 1, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #342 of 1,184
I had a listen to these today, and despite the hype, they did very little for me. They look and feel great, but don't excel in any area. Perhaps this is a good thing?

May 1, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #343 of 1,184
Has anyone paired the Penta with the Sony WM1A?

Yup, here. WM1A can definitely drive them well via 4.4 mm balanced out.

I had a listen to these today, and despite the hype, they did very little for me. They look and feel great, but don't excel in any area. Perhaps this is a good thing?

The Rai Penta certainly isn't one of those IEMs that wows you on first listen, at least not for me. Its soundstage also isn't wide or deep, just decently sized. I would say it's rather engaging, well-balanced, and suits a variety of music genres. At times it really just disappears in my ears and I don't even realize that I've listened to it for 4 hours.

May 1, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #344 of 1,184

What Tips would that be?

I've notice you also have the Acoustune HS1650CU, Any insight / comparison between the two?

May 1, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #345 of 1,184

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back