RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #272 of 1,184
Hi home use and my toys space limited as I am staying w in laws ha ha.
I used to carry a Hugo on the go but after two years it became too much work. I demoed that amp you mentioned but its pretty heavy.

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #273 of 1,184
I have had Rai Penta for a week and I would regret that for the half of the money Fiio would have earphones with the same performance, but every time I read about Fiio products, I read about products with problems and I think that for the hurry to present new products these do not they are completely tested.
Of course there would not be much to test on the iem, but what I can confirm is that Rai Penta has perfect comfort, a balanced sound between the frequencies and class, it will be necessary to see if Fiio is able to do the same number of drivers to do the same...

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #274 of 1,184
I have had Rai Penta for a week and I would regret that for the half of the money Fiio would have earphones with the same performance, but every time I read about Fiio products, I read about products with problems and I think that for the hurry to present new products these do not they are completely tested.
Of course there would not be much to test on the iem, but what I can confirm is that Rai Penta has perfect comfort, a balanced sound between the frequencies and class, it will be necessary to see if Fiio is able to do the same number of drivers to do the same...

Fiio are doing well with their IEMs, sound signatures are pretty decent, nothing unsual or horrible to listen to quite good and no obvious stand out problems but there is a big lack of refinement in the sound. A company releasing good products every few months and a company releasing exceptional products after years of development is a different thing, i know i prefer the latter. Should i even be complaining at their prices though? who knows.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #277 of 1,184
In simplest terms, the Penta favors upper midrange over lower midrange. I favor lower midrange over upper midrange (ie thick, warm piano and tenor sax). For an example of my preferred sonic signature, see the Final D8000.
I read through initial impressions and thought that was what I was getting. These really focus on a forward, higher energy midrange, a solid bass, and no sibilance. The ergonomics of the iem and cable are phenomenal. I suspect these will really appeal to professional vocalists, and many folks into EDM, pop, and rock.
I do think these are outstanding iems. Also, I've since found that Meze has a generous 30d return policy, so I will be returning them rather than selling.
Have to say I've never heard Rock sound better in an iem than these.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #278 of 1,184
Have to say I've never heard Rock sound better in an iem than these.

I'm not a fan of rock music, but I listen with pleasure to some elements of electronics, bass drum, synth, and low range ... I must note that after 200 hours of burning, Rai Penta has changed dramatically, even if it keeps a range average in line with the best orthodynamics, now the low range has the punch that was missing just outside the box, a tight fist but thick.
In the same way on high frequencies there is now a breath that I did not hear before, before it was much more mono color, now a huge stratification has been added, even if there are a lot of instruments in reproduction you can focus your attention on any detail you you want, and you will feel it without worry.
Mr. Meze has done an incredible job of refinement, I have no idea how the vents on the shell can affect but surely every detail is designed to optimize performance.
I do not have great references in the ear but those of my JH13 freq phase monitors without coloration, what is present in the recording you will feel it without added filters and colors, Rai penta adds a little color that makes me taste even better the albums

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #279 of 1,184
One other thing I would add; the soundstage of the Penta is fairly compact. I am used to the IE PP8, which, with a Ref 8 cable, throws a lot more spatial characteristics (perhaps at the cost of a much bulkier shell).

Mar 22, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #280 of 1,184
I'm not a fan of rock music, but I listen with pleasure to some elements of electronics, bass drum, synth, and low range ... I must note that after 200 hours of burning, Rai Penta has changed dramatically, even if it keeps a range average in line with the best orthodynamics, now the low range has the punch that was missing just outside the box, a tight fist but thick.
I completely agree. That's exactly what I experienced. REI Penta cannot be evaluated and judged at new condition.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #281 of 1,184
I need a comparison between Rai Penta and Noble K10. Are they different enough to justify me buying the Meze IEMs?
I love my K10, especially when jacking up the lows a bit, EDM and rap sound superb. On the other hand, I'm a big Meze fan and I'm desperate to love the Pentas, too :) Or should I squeze my wallet harder and get the Empireans?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #282 of 1,184
I just collected my rai pentai from local store.
Out of the box I liking it very much.
I believe with some burn in time it will open up.
Am playing some Chinese instrumentals I can just feel the emotion....its v musical
20190326_163520.jpg

I also bought the meze 4.4mm silver plated cable. Wonderful SQ. :smile_phones:

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #283 of 1,184
I just collected my rai pentai from local store.
Out of the box I liking it very much.
I believe with some burn in time it will open up.
Am playing some Chinese instrumentals I can just feel the emotion....its v musical
I also bought the meze 4.4mm silver plated cable. Wonderful SQ. :smile_phones:
Well no bass in that music. Maybe some screaming cats.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #284 of 1,184
Well no bass in that music. Maybe some screaming cats.

Not a dig, @jmills8 but obviously you never heard Chinese Drums, that is a lot of bass there.

Not as intense as Taiko drums but still good bass !

@domho7,

Glad you're enjoying the Rai Penta, personally & subjectively, like them a lot myself though no rush to get them...

Hope everyone has a great day !

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #285 of 1,184
These are so popular in Korea that they sold out in a day, I think the next batch is already sold out (pre-orders), and people are already speculating about how long it’ll be before Meze will get their third shipment in.

Insane. There isn’t even a used one available anywhere, and usually someone ends up selling one (since some people can’t audition before they buy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back