Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,366 of 6,675
APTX sounds great to my ears, and I doubt that I'll be able to hear a difference between AAC and APTX. But that doesn't stop me from looking forward to trying AAC when it is available to my phone on Jun 11 lol

Having said that, I thought that LDAC was supposed to provide a jump in sq. Have you compared LDAC to the others? Just curious. Not meaning to start anything!

Don't worry too much, the key to this device is that as well as a range of codecs that you can observe and control through the app, I think the AKM system on a chip has a very detailed clean sound that is relaxed and revealing. Lacks a little in punch and bass depth, only very subtle though in my opinion and doesn't feel like a portable device sound. I do prefer the extra detail and spatial sense of a sabre system on chip that is the headphone jack of my LG V20, but when I'm just using my best portable closed headphones, the MSR7, I can't hear a difference. It's only when I use the more expensive open headphones at home that I prefer not using the ES100.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,367 of 6,675
Well this is the solution I ended up with trying to create a neckband ES100.

50C92FA5-C54E-40BC-BF36-00F1056C8386.jpeg

The device itself can clip onto the neckband, but it just felt lopsided, so I ended up with it hanging off the side and I still clip it onto my shirt.

Is it it pretty? Not at all.

Is it functional? Surprisingly yes!

I think a shorter cable might look better, or having some more black rubber rings (it comes with 5), especially as I’m worried about the cables slipping round the “front” so to speak.

But for $5 or so, I can’t moan too much.

Now I am tempted to buy a cheap Bluetooth neckband from AliExpress, and tear out the insides to make a nicer looking solution however!

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #1,368 of 6,675
Well this is the solution I ended up with trying to create a neckband ES100.

The device itself can clip onto the neckband, but it just felt lopsided, so I ended up with it hanging off the side and I still clip it onto my shirt.

Is it it pretty? Not at all.

Is it functional? Surprisingly yes!

I think a shorter cable might look better, or having some more black rubber rings (it comes with 5), especially as I’m worried about the cables slipping round the “front” so to speak.

But for $5 or so, I can’t moan too much.

Now I am tempted to buy a cheap Bluetooth neckband from AliExpress, and tear out the insides to make a nicer looking solution however!

I just got mine today too! Tried it out clipped directly onto the end and it was different lobsided.

I am using a short 50cm cable and still trying to get the most optimal position to use with my IEMs.

It definitely is nice if you dont have a button up shirt or polo to clip on to.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,369 of 6,675
IMG_20180607_151325[1].jpg

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,370 of 6,675
Call and media volume are separated and managed by Android/iOS independently.
And ES100 also manage two different analog volume for both call and music streaming independently.

Please refer the link below for more information:
http://radsone.com/EarStudio/EarStudio_Volume_Control.pdf

We have some request for turning off LED forcibly and will check the feasibility.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

slightly unrelated, but for the next revision, you should definitely make the play/pause button more discernible. A big button on the flat side like an MPOW bluetooth receiver would be good. Also, separate the next and back track buttons (in addition to making them more discernible).

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #1,371 of 6,675
slightly unrelated, but for the next revision, you should definitely make the play/pause button more discernible. A big button on the flat side like an MPOW bluetooth receiver would be good. Also, separate the next and back track buttons (in addition to making them more discernible).

+1

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,373 of 6,675
@wslee, thanks for adding the "codec option"!

I just got my S7 upgraded to Oreo, and I got the ES100 updated to the latest firmware, and I am now using AAC for the first time. I haven't done any ab'ing between aptx and aac and to be honest I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference even if I did. Having said that, AAC is sounding very good to me and I am happy.

Maybe it is too bad that the S7 doesn't support APTX-HD, and/or too bad that the ES100 doesn't support LDAC. But that's fine, because now I can just get back to enjoying the music :)

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,375 of 6,675
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,376 of 6,675
@waynes world:
Does S7 Oreo update support LDAC?
I don't own the S7 but my HTC10 does support LDAC after the Oreo update, however it must be selected in the developer option menu. I can say that it sounds really fine paired with my Sony phones.

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,377 of 6,675
It seems that Sony has the same policy.
LDAC encoder is free for any source device, but LDAC decoder isn't free.
Technically, we're ready to support LDAC by F/W update based on current ES100 H/W.
But, we need to pay the additional license fee to SONY.

At the beginning of ES100 development, we've seriously considered supporting LDAC,
but we've ended up the decision that we hardly can afford the license fee assuming the current retail price of ES100.

Your kind understanding would be appreciated.

Hope this answers you.

Regard,
WS[/USER]

I just read the above over again. It's technically possible... so there is still hope lol!

As others have alluded to, I also would be happy to pay something extra for an "LDAC enabled firmware version". I suppose though that this would be tricky to administer? Or maybe there are other issues/challenges as well?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,378 of 6,675
I just read the above over again. It's technically possible... so there is still hope lol!

As others have alluded to, I also would be happy to pay something extra for an "LDAC enabled firmware version". I suppose though that this would be tricky to administer? Or maybe there are other issues/challenges as well?

@waynes world:
No comment, No deny.
As long as we can afford to support, we'll continue to provide more software value at the give ES100 hardware.
I hope you might be surprised with next major update scheduled in the next month.
Thanks and Regards,
WS

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,379 of 6,675
my HTC10 does support LDAC after the Oreo update, however it must be selected in the developer option menu.
On Galaxy S9, in addition to the developer options, LDAC is also selectable in the Bluetooth settings (in the list of paired devices, the settings for a particular headphone). I find LDAC to be a noticeable improvement over the standard aptX, even for streaming Spotify.

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,380 of 6,675
@waynes world:
No comment, No deny.
As long as we can afford to support, we'll continue to provide more software value at the give ES100 hardware.
I hope you might be surprised with next major update scheduled in the next month.
Thanks and Regards,
WS

I'm not sure why, but suddenly I'm very excited about next month lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back