Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,291 of 6,675
I don't use a mac, but one thing to be aware of is the included cable is only for charging. Not to be used for firmware updates or usb dac connection. A data capable usb cable will be required. Counter intuitive, I know, but it really is sweet once set up
**correction new packages come with data friendly cable**

Has anybody actually updated the FW via MacOS?! The instructions are garbage! I'm about to just return this thing. What a freaking PITA. The HQ are about 20 min from my house I should just pay them a visit and get them to install it for me.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #1,292 of 6,675
I don't use a mac, but one thing to be aware of is the included cable is only for charging. Not to be used for firmware updates or usb dac connection. A data capable usb cable will be required. Counter intuitive, I know, but it really is sweet once set up

Just updated the post, I got it.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,293 of 6,675

I think the newer ES100 package comes with a data capable usb cable, because i was able to successfully update the firmware, using the same cable.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,294 of 6,675
My buddy, who I convinced to pick one up, informed me mere moments ago. I'm jealous!

I think the newer ES100 package comes with a data capable usb cable, because i was able to successfully update the firmware, using the same cable.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,295 of 6,675
**correction new packages come with data friendly cable**

I bought mine from Amazon a few months ago and it came with a short power/data cable.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,296 of 6,675
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #1,297 of 6,675
Just to confirm too, had to disable my phones BT so it would pop up on my Mac to connect BT. Turned phones BT back on and was able to use the ES app and I can easily swap between music on both sources lol. My MacBook was outputting SBC so I Googled how to get AAC/AptX and was able to now get it to push AptX. Very simple.

Now to see if my Galaxy S8 can push HD instead of just regular AptX.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,299 of 6,675
My feature request is a car mode - just a simple mode that allows the USB charging to act as the on/off switch too, so that it powers up and down with the car automatically.

I realise it's confusing to have this mode and a mode that leaves the device off when charging, but not that confusing surely.

Here is a DAP that understands what I'm asking for, it looks pretty good, but I don't need the DAP part any more, I plan to keep my LG V20 a long time.

http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/En/ProductView.Asp?ID=26

Car mode... might sell a few more if it had it, that's the most convincing argument I can think of, but it looks like this device isn't scaling up to lots of sales, so reaching more people might not be a priority.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,300 of 6,675
Going back in the thread I see some prefer AAC over AptX. Will need to do more research. FWIW I have Developer options unlocked on my S8 so I can force either one and instantly switch. Not noticing much difference.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,301 of 6,675
Going back in the thread I see some prefer AAC over AptX. Will need to do more research. FWIW I have Developer options unlocked on my S8 so I can force either one and instantly switch. Not noticing much difference.

It's unlikely you'll notice any audible difference but try comparing ES100 battery runtime between both :wink:

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #1,302 of 6,675

Apt X was over hyped for sure, unfortunately it has muddied the waters.

Apt X isn't a great codec for quality, AAC beats it easily in terms of quality, but AAC is more expensive to decode, especially in low latency applications, not for Apple though, they were obviously screwed by Qualcomm, not getting AptX HD, they'll probably pay for that later but there are different opinions about what will happen next. I don't have a crystal ball for Apple, I don't get why they aren't even playing this game yet, possibly still pissed about hardware contracts they keep failing to hit (some might say they did it deliberately, but I think it came down to price). AAC is an excellent codec for lossy compression, Apple might just increase the bandwidth and continue using AAC, only increasing the specs when they want to achieve CD quality over Bluetooth.

AptX HD isn't a great codec, but the standard is a higher bit-rate than AAC can do over Bluetooth, so because of the higher bit-rate, AptX HD is better than AAC over Bluetooth.

On this ES100, Apt HD > AAC > Apt X > SBC

I'm just talking numbers here, which are objective - once the signal gets to the DAC, then it comes down analog and the ES100 is IMO, much better than most of what's out there, not as good as the higher end audio phones like the LG V20, V30, G6 etc... using their native 3.5 mm jack.

Some people's ears prefer hearing compression artifacts over signal purity, so it's also a matter of taste.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,303 of 6,675
I received it earlier this week after using malboxde.com to get it shipped to Sweden.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the product, it sounds as good if not better as using the standard 3.5mm port on my LG V30. The app itself is also really well done, would be cool if you added a black/Oled theme to it to tho. The button placement is not something i've gotten used to as of yet, maybe its just me thought?

The only tiny issue i'm having is that the battery drops really fast when its on 90%+ after a charge, maybe its just a bug in the app? I'm also on the latest firmware.

Will be interesting to se the next iteration in the future, Id like to have:
-LDAC
- Bigger battery (maybe pushing it towards 20h+?), If the clip would be able to handle the added weight.
- Premium quality build, unless it adds too much weight ofc, I'd rather take a bigger battery.
- USB C
- A version with either a 2.5mm balanced or 3.5 mm, in order to save space, unless most people uses both? Personally I will only be using the 2.5mm.
-Next gen bluetooth chip ( if there is one)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #1,305 of 6,675
My personal dream list for the app:wink:

Dark theme would be decent. Crossfeed, Dct on the front vol. page would suit me too even if I had to scroll. A current bit rate counter would be neat but not neccessary. Jitter could maybe go on the filter page. An on off toggle for Dct/Crossfeed and perhaps a toggle button to slim or minimize altogether for vol,Dct/X,source volume(never used). Bigger slider button, but that is probably just my cell making it too fiddly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back