Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #3,691 of 6,675
Is there any way to use the ES100 as a USB DAC wired to my iPhone instead of wirelessly via Bluetooth? If yes, would this allow me to bypass AAC and move to LDAC or AptX HD?

Need folks help. I'm trying to see if I can improve the sound quality via the ES100 when using an iPhone.

You know that iPhone streams AAC via Bluetooth. I have been using Tidal HiFi (CD quality) and now Tidal Masters (MQA "Hi Res" via the mConnect app - Android users use UAPP). I have improved my source material with mConnect and Tidal HiFi. I have improved my headphones with the HD650s. I'm now seeing if I can get that MQA and FLAC source material to the headphones in a less compressed form to improve the overall SQ.

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #3,694 of 6,675
Is there any way to use the ES100 as a USB DAC wired to my iPhone instead of wirelessly via Bluetooth? If yes, would this allow me to bypass AAC and move to LDAC or AptX HD?

Need folks help. I'm trying to see if I can improve the sound quality via the ES100 when using an iPhone.

You know that iPhone streams AAC via Bluetooth. I have been using Tidal HiFi (CD quality) and now Tidal Masters (MQA "Hi Res" via the mConnect app - Android users use UAPP). I have improved my source material with mConnect and Tidal HiFi. I have improved my headphones with the HD650s. I'm now seeing if I can get that MQA and FLAC source material to the headphones in a less compressed form to improve the overall SQ.

You can use an Apple Camera Connection Kit lightning cable to wire connect to an iPhone and then you would plug in your headphones to the es100. Sound is great this way. A few catches though...you have to turn off charging on the es100 via the app or you will get a message that the device is not supposed and there is no bluetooth functionality that makes sense to use after connected because it is a bluetooth receiver and not a transmitter.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #3,696 of 6,675
I will try this. Many Thanks. Does this mean I will be able have LDAC even though it’s iOS? The camera connector is bulky. Any suggestions for a lightning to micro USB adapter? I can run off the battery on the iOS.

No. aptX and LDAC are both Bluetooth codec for wireless transmission - if you use a camera connection kit (or a lightning to microUSB cable, if such a thing exists), then you will be doing a hardwired connection, which will not involve any wireless transmission and therefore no BT codec as well. There is however no need to worry about this as hardware connection itself is already bit perfect / no compression and thus it will give the best possible sound when compared to Bluetooth transmission.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #3,697 of 6,675
I will try this. Many Thanks. Does this mean I will be able have LDAC even though it’s iOS? The camera connector is bulky. Any suggestions for a lightning to micro USB adapter? I can run off the battery on the iOS.

LDAC is a wireless (Bluetooth) codex that can't be used with a wired connection.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #3,698 of 6,675
Wired can be ceen as lossless wireless. And LDAC and Aptx HD are both lossy wireless (but the best that we can do now without going wired). So wired in theory should be beter than LDAC and Aptx HD, so I suspect they would not go there even if they could.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #3,700 of 6,675
So iphone camera kit converter out -
- to ES100 micro usb input
Plug headphones into ES100 for hi res audio?
Or is that type of connection limited to 44.1k?

LDAC is a wireless (Bluetooth) codex that can't be used with a wired connection.

People use rubber bands to attach extra stuff to their iPhone's. LGV30 does it all I hear.No need for rubber bands:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3,701 of 6,675
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #3,702 of 6,675
I finished my half written post above.

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #3,703 of 6,675
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,704 of 6,675
@peter123 I can't read minds (And don't want to); But Believe that @Pro-Jules is assuming that an ES100 directly wired to an iPhone, (or any phone), might be physically attached to the phone with rubber straps. And that that would be awkward compared to a smartphone with a good DAC/AMP, like the LG V30. Believe that he quoted your post so that his statement would have a reference and make sense... Though that did not work.

@IrishAudio From what I've seen here, the Es100 with Bluetooth AAC from Apple Phones sounds very good. No need to connect them by wire. One reason is that Normal Apple 256 AAC files would not need any re-compression to send over bluetooth, so won't lose resolution?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #3,705 of 6,675
What I meant was (and this is a question) - can the poster with an iphone listen to 96k 24bit files with an ES100 in this way:

iPhone with a hi res file player app
Lightning to Camera connection kit cable to micro usb
In to ES100 micro usb input
ES100 headphone jack - out to wired headphones.

(Edit)

I found this

"USB DAC limited to 16bit 48khz. No 24 bit 96khz over USB"

Is that still true? If so that's a bummer for iPhone guy.

(The rubber band comment was that people using hi res converters with their Iphones attach them with rubber bands, to keep the ePhone and converter together as one "block")

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back