Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 23, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #6,571 of 6,675
@BenF
Thank You for answer and help.
I have Redmi Note 8T, BTR3k and Z4 was working on LDAC.
I don't have such option in quick menu using ES100 i have last MIUI 12,5 and last firmware of ES100 MK2.

In EarStudio I have all options ON.
Developer options that always work with changing LDAC quality 330-990 can change with success from SBC to AptX on the fly only.
Other codecs like AAC, AptX HD and LDAC don't change anything and they just go back to default AptX when I go back to menu.

I was trying all possible options without success and I'm just left with standard AptX.

I don't have any solution, factory reset of ES100 don't work as well.
You are welcome.

I do have the LDAC option in Bluetooth options on the equally old Redmi Note 8 Pro, running MIUI 12.5.6.
Looks like your phone for some reason doesn't recognize the LDAC capability of ES100.

Luckily, you have BTR3K - which in my opinion sounds better anyway.
I use it over ES100/Q5K/BTR5, which I also own.

May 23, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #6,572 of 6,675
@BenF I give away BTR3k due to terrible ldac connectivity. With apple AAC works good with iPhone 13.
Nice collection. I like ES100 as device it's fits me most witch greate application and overall sound. The minus is only microUSB and now no LDAC, but... I don't think it's a big difference for portable use outside.

With ultrabook I prefer 0 lag/delay USB connection. I'm fine with 16-bit USB audio no need more for listening and monitoring.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #6,573 of 6,675
@BenF I give away BTR3k due to terrible ldac connectivity. With apple AAC works good with iPhone 13.
Nice collection. I like ES100 as device it's fits me most witch greate application and overall sound. The minus is only microUSB and now no LDAC, but... I don't think it's a big difference for portable use outside.

With ultrabook I prefer 0 lag/delay USB connection. I'm fine with 16-bit USB audio no need more for listening and monitoring.
My BTR3K has an excellent LDAC connectivity, better than BTR5.
Maybe your phone was the problem here too...

May 23, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #6,574 of 6,675
My BTR3K has an excellent LDAC connectivity, better than BTR5.
Maybe your phone was the problem here too...
I just watched test about ES100 BT connectivity and always win with BTR3K that's why I get it. I had no luck with LDAC 990 and that was a pain for me.
It's shows how tricky are BT chipsets in different devices :deadhorse:

ES100 on AptX runs as stable as WiFi in my 55m house even with 3 walls between devices I still have connection, so I can go around listening music with smartphone laing in every room.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #6,577 of 6,675
The ES100 for me is wonderful. It has balanced and unbalanced connections, every BT codec, and works as a USB DAC if needed
Listening to Go Go Penguin with mine right now and it's awesomely sublime! FYI - bought mine August 2018. Still truckin'.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #6,578 of 6,675
I have only one problem with ES100 everything else is just perfect.
I cant achieve LDAC connection in my Xiaomi all other LDAC compatible devices runs smooth - not as stable as AptX but just working fine.

Some devices with AAC runs as well but ES100 MK2 using only SBC or AptX - nothing more can be forced.
I've had the same problem with my Samsung S10e. Everytime I turned es100 off and back on it didn't lose Ldac but it was losing its highest Ldac setting in developer mode. Instead of Ldac best playback quality it was Ldac the best effort which is worse to me. I solved this problem once in for all with the Sony Music Center app from play store. You'll have to find in its settings Hi-res audio and check the box and it has direct source sound playback, too which bypasses android reassembling. After that the app will lock your android Ldac permanently to the best playback quality 990kbps. Really great and unique app.
As to micro USB I use one of those magnetic plugs with cable and never have to worry about it.
The only problem i have with es 100 is few custom eq presets and battery life but I'm gonna upgrade the battery soon to other one with a greater capacity.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #6,579 of 6,675
I've had the same problem with my Samsung S10e. Everytime I turned es100 off and back on it didn't lose Ldac but it was losing its highest Ldac setting in developer mode. Instead of Ldac best playback quality it was Ldac the best effort which is worse to me. I solved this problem once in for all with the Sony Music Center app from play store. You'll have to find in its settings Hi-res audio and check the box and it has direct source sound playback, too which bypasses android reassembling. After that the app will lock your android Ldac permanently to the best playback quality 990kbps. Really great and unique app.
As to micro USB I use one of those magnetic plugs with cable and never have to worry about it.
The only problem i have with es 100 is few custom eq presets and battery life but I'm gonna upgrade the battery soon to other one with a greater capacity.
I was so exited when started to read Your post, but sadly this trick don't work on my device. I don't have any BT settings in Sony Music Center, when I connect ES100 via BT with my phone application show a BT indicator but I don't have any options for BT output in settings :frowning2:
I try to force LDAC in developer settings on mobile but its dosent work either I will run some test as well now.

May 28, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #6,580 of 6,675
Sorry I forgot to mention, that app has some odd settings interface but you have to do it just once. Make sure your es100 is paired with the best quality audio bluetooth from phone bluetooth settings but no music should be playing, just in standing by in paired mode. In es100 app all of bluetooth Codec option checked then in music center settings app tap on bluetooth output settings and a new window should open up with 1. Prioritize LDAC the high audio quality and 2. Ldac playback quality.
Check box on Prioritize Ldac and tap on LDAC Playback quality then a new window will open up with Priority on sound quality tap check. that's all. If you tap on bluetooth output settings and nothing happens then the problem is not es100 but your phone bluetooth. This app worked perfectly on S10e, pixel 4 and lg v30. After that if you look in developer mode Ldac in the best quality mode get stuck and it becomes grayed out.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #6,582 of 6,675
Jul 19, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #6,585 of 6,675
Isn't it like the same thing just in ugly case?
Yes, if by "the same thing" you mean a small portable Bluetooth DAC/amp. If you by "like" you actually mean similar - i.e. "similar to the same", which is of course just "similar to" - then yes, they are broadly similar. The differences are what tend to interest folks here.

My ES100 is still going strong with almost daily use, but it's good to know that there are an increasing number of great replacement devices. By that time I hope FiiO has released a version of the BTR7 without MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back