Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 12, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #6,331 of 6,675
Hi!

I was wondering how good the transparency mode of the Mk2 is? Does it sound any natural? Is it comparable to recent TW offerings like the Airpod Pros?
It's mediocre at best. It doesn't sound natural and is nowhere close to my APPs, and when I tried it, the delay was distracting. I think it was something they added on at the end, and there hasn't been much development since.

Does anyone know what they're up to now? It seems like they've gone quiet other than announcing some markdowns.

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #6,332 of 6,675
Just tried connecting this to my cousin's iPhone SE, and it's connecting but without audio streaming capability. I can see it connected in the app, control the volume between the app and device, but music comes out of the phone speakers.

I referred to the manual and it says if you see EarStudio on your list of connected devices in phone settings without an "i" next to it that you won't get audio capability, only app usage. The "i" is not showing, so it makes sense that we don't get audio. But the question is why is this and is there anything I can do to fix it?

As @rkw pointed out, you have to pair the ES100 with your iphone via Bluetooth, just like any normal Bluetooth device. Then you ALSO have to install the EarStudio app and search for/connect to the ES100 in the app.

Once you do that, it should work fine.

BTW, I also use an iPhone SE with the ES100. I actually have (2) ES100s. They work awesome. Best audio purchase I’ve made in years.

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #6,333 of 6,675
It's mediocre at best. It doesn't sound natural and is nowhere close to my APPs, and when I tried it, the delay was distracting. I think it was something they added on at the end, and there hasn't been much development since.

Does anyone know what they're up to now? It seems like they've gone quiet other than announcing some markdowns.

Thanks! Actually I used to own an ES100 Mk1 some years ago and found the ambient mode almost useless that time (sounded like you describe). I was just wondering if maybe it has maybe evolved through MK2 and software updates....but does not seem like it, huh?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #6,334 of 6,675
Thanks! Actually I used to own an ES100 Mk1 some years ago and found the ambient mode almost useless that time (sounded like you describe). I was just wondering of maybe it has maybe evolved through MK2 and software updates....but does not seem like it, huh?
Mk2 has a different clip. That's the only difference AFAIK. And I'm not sure when the last software update was. Seems like ages ago.
I think with the primary guy now doing the Q5 (which is the ES100 with more awesomeness and worse buttons), we might not see many changes. Don't get me wrong - the ES100 is great. I just think the Q5 is better and I use it a lot more often.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #6,335 of 6,675
@Slater @rkw He got it working guys, thanks! I was just being an idiot as I've owned the thing for over a year and wasn't thinking to put it into pairing mode. I literally just turned it on and searched for it through the app. He made it discoverable, paired it with his phone, installed the app, and with just a few minutes listening to it he saying he's experiencing music like he's never experienced before (even just with HyperX Cloud II gaming headphones and KZ IEMs I've given him over the years).

Thanks again guys.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #6,336 of 6,675
If you get a true 3.5 balanced you could use a 3.5 TRRS female to 2.5 male, I have the Venture Electronics adapter for my Trinity Audio Master which use a real balanced 3.5.

Getting a 2.5 balanced from the get go is the easiest thing though and better than using an adapter.

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #6,337 of 6,675
If you get a true 3.5 balanced you could use a 3.5 TRRS female to 2.5 male, I have the Venture Electronics adapter for my Trinity Audio Master which use a real balanced 3.5.

Getting a 2.5 balanced from the get go is the easiest thing though and better than using an adapter.

Those adapters are more hassle than anything else I think... because even if the adapter is done correctly (i.e. using 3.5mm TRRS) someone might plug in a simple 3.5mm TRS, shorting the balanced connection and possibly frying the amp.

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #6,338 of 6,675
Those adapters are more hassle than anything else I think... because even if the adapter is done correctly (i.e. using 3.5mm TRRS) someone might plug in a simple 3.5mm TRS, shorting the balanced connection and possibly frying the amp.

Like the guys dad that somehow mysteriously blew up the HeadFiers ES100? Literally blew SMD components off of the circuit board trying to “hook it up to his speakers”.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #6,341 of 6,675
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #6,342 of 6,675
I won't use Aptx again, I use the LDAC option as it VASTLY improves your listening experience. Most all Samsungs after 2017 have the option to output 44/96, so may as well use it with SACD/FLAC, and a paid *player that supports it* (PowerAmp Full Version).

My bluetooth transmitter that is connected to my TV does not support LDAC, only Aptx and SBC. When watching late night TV, Aptx LL is much better than normal Aptx with audio sync so I use my BTR5, which supports LL. For pure audio, LDAC is obviously the way to go for either device. I use both devices depending on mood. Neither sounds better to me. I do prefer the light weight and integrated pocket clip on the ES100.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #6,343 of 6,675
My bluetooth transmitter that is connected to my TV does not support LDAC, only Aptx and SBC. When watching late night TV, Aptx LL is much better than normal Aptx with audio sync so I use my BTR5, which supports LL. For pure audio, LDAC is obviously the way to go for either device. I use both depending on mood. Neither sounds better to me.
OK, your using it for a TV. My BT Aptx LL from china that I use on my TV has it, but I use my J-Birds with my TV and it has LL support, and they really aren't very musical at all.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #6,344 of 6,675
OK, your using it for a TV. My BT Aptx LL from china that I use on my TV has it, but I use my J-Birds with my TV and it has LL support, and they really aren't very musical at all.

Agreed, it depends on your use case. There is no need for Aptx LL for pure music listening (I imagine it gives up sound quality for low latency).

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #6,345 of 6,675
The CSR8675 used in the ES100's Supports LL > https://www.qualcomm.com/products/csr8675
The ES100 does not support aptX Low Latency. LL requires an extra license fee and manufacturers often choose not to implement LL even when it is supported by the Bluetooth chip.

So is no Aptx-LL problematic ?
Do you own devices that transmit LL? If you do not, it is not a problem. LL never gained popularity and Qualcomm has retired it for their new products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back