Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 28, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #5,041 of 6,675
IDK how much better is the Red/Cobalt vs the original version, but I'd take ES100 any day and I sold Dragonfly + DAP soon after I got ES100. To my belief and ears, that possibility of ~10% increase of "better sound" (which I can rarely ever able to distinguish) of wired options is just not comparable to ES100's wireless convenience (and the sound is damn good too). Best $100 I've ever spent on audio gear, worth every single cent.
That's all with the shilling, ok so Dragonfly black sound is a tiny bit cleaner and blacker background vs ES100. Again, I can hardly tell unless I sit down and look for them.

BTW, Fiio is releasing BTR5 soon later this year and the specs is pretty great, might be a worthy ES100 replacement (unless Radson does their magic again with something like ES100 v2)
Thanks for your feedback! I was more wondering how the ES100 compared to those other DACS when it is plugged in as a USB DAC instead of using Bluetooth. I want to use it mainly as a wired DAC with the flexibility of using Bluetooth when needed.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #5,042 of 6,675
IDK how much better is the Red/Cobalt vs the original version, but I'd take ES100 any day and I sold Dragonfly + DAP soon after I got ES100. To my belief and ears, that possibility of ~10% increase of "better sound" (which I can rarely ever able to distinguish) of wired options is just not comparable to ES100's wireless convenience (and the sound is damn good too). Best $100 I've ever spent on audio gear, worth every single cent.
That's all with the shilling, ok so Dragonfly black sound is a tiny bit cleaner and blacker background vs ES100. Again, I can hardly tell unless I sit down and look for them.

BTW, Fiio is releasing BTR5 soon later this year and the specs is pretty great, might be a worthy ES100 replacement (unless Radson does their magic again with something like ES100 v2)

I'd say the ES100 is comparable to the Black dragonfly: same relaxed tonality. the ES100 wins hands down on feature and practicality though.

if you're looking for bluetooth dac that sounds similar to the dragonfly red, try search for the Centrance BlueDAC. it's discontinued, but it has the same bright and clean sound as the red, with added bluetooth convenience and great amp section

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #5,043 of 6,675
I'd say the ES100 is comparable to the Black dragonfly: same relaxed tonality. the ES100 wins hands down on feature and practicality though.

if you're looking for bluetooth dac that sounds similar to the dragonfly red, try search for the Centrance BlueDAC. it's discontinued, but it has the same bright and clean sound as the red, with added bluetooth convenience and great amp section
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out!

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #5,044 of 6,675
Does anyone else feel the call volume is too loud when using an IEM? Feels like the caller is shouting even at the lowest call volume and -59.5db in Earstudio. I tried several IEMs - Andros, SE215, UE 500 - all too loud when answering calls in a quiet room. Currently I have to use iFi IEMatch dongle which is ridiculous considering it weighs as much as the ES100.

I emailed Radsone and they said -59.5db is lowest the chip supports. Media volume is fine and has an additional -6db on the trim. Sadly call volume is not affected by the trim function. Hoping Radsone can add trim to call volume on the next update.

Edit: Forgot to mention, my phone is Galaxy S10.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #5,045 of 6,675
Anyone else with an Android phone getting weird battery readouts? I've used it for 2 hours today (via the 3.5mm jack) after getting it fully charged, and now my phone (and consequently the EarStudio app) thinks it's at 30% (the ES100 itself doesn't show the glowing red light)

Is there a fix for this?

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #5,047 of 6,675
Anyone else with an Android phone getting weird battery readouts? I've used it for 2 hours today (via the 3.5mm jack) after getting it fully charged, and now my phone (and consequently the EarStudio app) thinks it's at 30% (the ES100 itself doesn't show the glowing red light)

Is there a fix for this?

I think this is a result of the small battery capacity and voltage sag that occurs under higher current (low impedance IEM) use. Mine drops from 80% to 40% in 2-3 hours, but then lasts for another 5-6 hours from 40% to 10%. If it's not related to voltage sag from low headphone impedance and current draw, then they could probably alter the curve for voltage to battery percentage. Otherwise I don't think there's a good fix other than using a slightly bigger battery.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #5,049 of 6,675
Does anyone else feel the call volume is too loud when using an IEM? Feels like the caller is shouting even at the lowest call volume and -59.5db in Earstudio. I tried several IEMs - Andros, SE215, UE 500 - all too loud when answering calls in a quiet room. Currently I have to use iFi IEMatch dongle which is ridiculous considering it weighs as much as the ES100.

I emailed Radsone and they said -59.5db is lowest the chip supports. Media volume is fine and has an additional -6db on the trim. Sadly call volume is not affected by the trim function. Hoping Radsone can add trim to call volume on the next update.

Edit: Forgot to mention, my phone is Galaxy S10.

That's odd. I can control the call volume to real low with mine. This might not be ideal but about setting phone's volume to 50% (or reach the red mark) ?

Is there a fix for this?

I notice that the estimation is not really accurate (at least for my unit). It drops very quickly during the first % and they last the whole day at ~ 30% - 10%
My suggestion is just to let them run from morning, check every 6hrs to see. It should be able to push 8hrs mark comfortably (mine reaches 13hrs when new with 2.5mm, no effect or EQ)

im confident with my trusty ES100, but now im looking into comparisons with the fiio btr5, seems more powerfull and fancier. If their app is up bar with the Radsone app (eq, etc) maybe could be an upgrade (maybe)

Agree. I'm looking forward to Fiio BTR5 as well, the specs are ridiculous. Hopefully that'd push Radsone to do something :)
Regarding the app, idk how much Fiio improved but ES100 app is extremely detail with explanation, which I love. I mean, I won't ever use all of them but it's nice that they put some thoughts into it

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #5,051 of 6,675
I notice that the estimation is not really accurate (at least for my unit). It drops very quickly during the first % and they last the whole day at ~ 30% - 10%
My suggestion is just to let them run from morning, check every 6hrs to see. It should be able to push 8hrs mark comfortably (mine reaches 13hrs when new with 2.5mm, no effect or EQ)
Yeah I'm sure it lasts as advertised, it's just the weird readout on Android. Not a big deal, especially given how good it sounds :)

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #5,054 of 6,675
Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #5,055 of 6,675
uhm....
that's a different device than what I can see here as the btr5..

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/abo...ones-accessories.901177/page-12#post-14839259

I'm really confused now..lol

still pretty sure the btr5 will not have 2.5 mm balanced....
think the link you posted might be an early draft design of the product.

Hope youre wrong, its on their facebook account with the K5pro, m11pro and this new BTR5, check it out

Anyways, the control i have with my es100+android app is superb. fiio needs to hurry up to keep this btr5 up to the fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back