Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 10, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #4,801 of 6,675
Jun 10, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #4,802 of 6,675
Jun 10, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #4,803 of 6,675
Look post #96 on page 7
So, the current android should support LDAC. Does it mean it will carry MQA as well? Currently using S10plus

Jun 10, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #4,804 of 6,675
Jun 10, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,805 of 6,675
Jun 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #4,806 of 6,675
So, the current android should support LDAC. Does it mean it will carry MQA as well? Currently using S10plus
LDAC will try to send whatever digital signal your phone (or other device) sends to Bluetooth. So for MQA to work, your phone (or other device) must be able to decode MQA.
- Unsure if UAPP can send to bluetooth, or just to the DAC/AMP (Internal , or External). It should be able to send to bluetooth, but have not tried myself and don't stream MQA to fully test.
- Remember that not all Android 8 and higher phone/device manufacturers have allowed all Bluetooth Codecs. Some do not have Aptx-HD, Some do not have LDAC. This is the phone manufacturer making a decision not to implement all Android functions. It's not an Android problem.

The ES100 can receive LDAC if your device can send a strong enough signal. So far, all LDAC receivers I have, seem to have trouble maintaining connection at 990kbps, past about 10 ft or open air. Through walls or people (water degrades bluetooth signal), distance can shorten. Some devices are too weak to send full LDAC from a phone in hip pocket, to the ES100 clipped/in a chest pocket.

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #4,807 of 6,675
Phone manufacturers use LDAC as a differentiator for their high tier android devices. Despite LDAC being theroretically implemented since Android 8, many mid-level devices only offer aptX HD as their best Codec, even Sony does this.

While my LGs and my Galaxy Tab S3 offer LDAC, my Sony Xperia XA2 shows LDAC under Developer Options - Bluetooth Codecs since Android 9, but you cannot use it.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #4,808 of 6,675
LDAC will try to send whatever digital signal your phone (or other device) sends to Bluetooth. So for MQA to work, your phone (or other device) must be able to decode MQA.
- Unsure if UAPP can send to bluetooth, or just to the DAC/AMP (Internal , or External). It should be able to send to bluetooth, but have not tried myself and don't stream MQA to fully test.
- Remember that not all Android 8 and higher phone/device manufacturers have allowed all Bluetooth Codecs. Some do not have Aptx-HD, Some do not have LDAC. This is the phone manufacturer making a decision not to implement all Android functions. It's not an Android problem.

The ES100 can receive LDAC if your device can send a strong enough signal. So far, all LDAC receivers I have, seem to have trouble maintaining connection at 990kbps, past about 10 ft or open air. Through walls or people (water degrades bluetooth signal), distance can shorten. Some devices are too weak to send full LDAC from a phone in hip pocket, to the ES100 clipped/in a chest pocket.
I figured everything right now. For tidal that using MQA, there is no way to receive MQA in bluetooth connection. Es100 only can be 48khz max, the bit perfect MQA doesnt even work on es100 when the songs on Tidal has 88.2khz etc. The xdsd works fine from 88.2khz to 92khz.

One thing to note that, xdsd bluetooth SQ is so bad compare to es100 bluetooth. Since I have both right now and will just keep only one of them. I will keep es100. Surprise2. I actually have trust that i will keep xdsd before I listen to them. But after critical comparison just now. The es100 is superior in terms of bluetooth SQ.

conclusion:
Bluetooth:- Es100 gives more impact in everything from bass to highs.
USB Dac:- Es100 is slightly losing on lush of mids and refined bass when comparing it with 88.2khz bit perfect of xdsd. Es100 cant even handle the bitperfect MQA. It just stops.

I will keep es100 as it gives almost 99% for my mobility that outclass xdsd bluetooth SQ. I have no reason to keep xdsd as i have a bigger desktop dac amp better than xdsd. Yes, for mobility, es100 hands down is better than xdsd.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #4,809 of 6,675
Es 100 is on drop for 80 dollars

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #4,811 of 6,675
The headphone jack of my S10+ will never be used again, wow. I can't believe music sounds like this through Bluetooth as my only past experiences have likely been with SBC and not so great headphones, but LDAC is unbelievable. Using ATH M50s I'm blown away by what I'm getting with Spotify 320. I guess the simplest way for me to describe it is the separation and clarity is on another level compared to the headphone jack (listening to mostly rock music so far). Also loving how much volume this thing drives to my headphones as I have the analog volume slider to maybe 80% and wouldn't have any need to listen louder than this.

Even with how high my expectations were from everything I've read about this device I am still somehow pleasantly surprised. To boot it worked right out the box with zero issue, the app seems to have all kinds of micro control beyond anything I'd ever need, and I'm able to be two rooms away from my phone through several sets of walls and have the connection working at an acceptable enough level (only listened for a couple minutes and had two quick buffers/stutters, which was better than I expected).

Edit: The only other place I use these headphones is on my PC with a FiiO E10K, and I can't say music on the ES100 sounds any worse than on the E10K.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #4,812 of 6,675
This doesn't do the trick I'm afraid... And it's pretty random in its behaviour (i.e. I'd expect bigger lag from higher buffer when in fact it makes it better... sometimes. Sometimes it makes it worse).
Thats odd. I dont watch much videos but i have never had a problem with this that i can recall. What phone are you using? Im on Pixel 2.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #4,813 of 6,675
The headphone jack of my S10+ will never be used again, wow. I can't believe music sounds like this through Bluetooth as my only past experiences have likely been with SBC and not so great headphones, but LDAC is unbelievable. Using ATH M50s I'm blown away by what I'm getting with Spotify 320. I guess the simplest way for me to describe it is the separation and clarity is on another level compared to the headphone jack (listening to mostly rock music so far). Also loving how much volume this thing drives to my headphones as I have the analog volume slider to maybe 80% and wouldn't have any need to listen louder than this.

Even with how high my expectations were from everything I've read about this device I am still somehow pleasantly surprised. To boot it worked right out the box with zero issue, the app seems to have all kinds of micro control beyond anything I'd ever need, and I'm able to be two rooms away from my phone through several sets of walls and have the connection working at an acceptable enough level (only listened for a couple minutes and had two quick buffers/stutters, which was better than I expected).

Edit: The only other place I use these headphones is on my PC with a FiiO E10K, and I can't say music on the ES100 sounds any worse than on the E10K.

That's pretty loud o.o

*:smiling_imp:* TRY THE BALANCED! (also try setting highest bitrate for LDAC, tell us if you hear any difference :) )

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,814 of 6,675
That's pretty loud o.o

*:smiling_imp:* TRY THE BALANCED! (also try setting highest bitrate for LDAC, tell us if you hear any difference :) )

I've still gotta get to a level where I actually own better headphones that have the option for a balanced cable, lol. I know the M50s aren't close to the best headphones in the world but I'm glad that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing with them so far. I do plan on looking for a slight upgrade to some type of open headphone in the $200 range eventually.

And I've been wondering how the heck you even adjust the LDAC bitrate as I don't see anywhere to do that. I'm wondering if there would be a noticeable difference with the mid range bitrate or whatever it's giving me versus the highest.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,815 of 6,675
I've still gotta get to a level where I actually own better headphones that have the option for a balanced cable, lol. I know the M50s aren't close to the best headphones in the world but I'm glad that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing with them so far. I do plan on looking for a slight upgrade to some type of open headphone in the $200 range eventually.

And I've been wondering how the heck you even adjust the LDAC bitrate as I don't see anywhere to do that. I'm wondering if there would be a noticeable difference with the mid range bitrate or whatever it's giving me versus the highest.

You can adjust it via Developer Settings (press "build...." multiple times to activate this menu in your settings). You can find out exactly how by google :)
It's also kinda annoying because with my S8+, changing the bitrate does not stick, it also converts back to Adaptive mode after disconnecting. So I didn't bother, personally, I can't hear any difference even between LDAC and AptX

M50 was my first "serious" headphones too but soon moved on. I don't have much experience with full cans, but if you're not afraid of getting used equipment, I believe there are great choices for $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back