Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 18, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #4,831 of 6,675
If I break the connection to my phone (i.e. turning off my phone's Bluetooth radio) before powering down the ES100 it becomes completely inoperable without a reset from plugging it to a power source. Does anybody else have this issue?

It will stay on with a solid green light, will not be discoverable to reconnect to my phone, and will not power down by holding the play button for four seconds. It basically becomes a brick until I plug it to power and have it auto reboot. This isn't a killer issue as I usually do not forget to power down the ES100 through the app, but I feel like either this is a flaw or I am missing something here.

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #4,833 of 6,675
Anyone here can compare ES100 with the BT neckband that came with RHA CL2?

Already knew ES100 will win overall but not exactly how :)

The RHA is only APTX I thought?

I just returned my LDAC MUCM2BT for the ES100 and it's a definite improvement.

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #4,834 of 6,675
Well, I received the Advanced Sound Accessport Air yesterday. Did some listening with my Fidelio X2.

Build quality....simply destroys the ES100 and it's much cheaper. Then you have the audio, for me, I prefer the ES100. It's much more detailed. The APA is no slouch though, it is still very good as it supports AAC, AptX and AptX-LL.

One thing I noticed though, it defaults to AptX. I went to developer options to swap to AAC and see how that sounded. Instantly the music became so much louder, had to take it a couple notches down. I have no idea why this is. I asked Adv on the FB page and they said, they EQ'd every codec differently. This is just seems like a 3db boost in audio. It's pretty drastic and gives the impression that AAC can drive headphones more. Haven't experienced this with the ES100 at all.

All in all, it's a solid device but the ES100 is still my favorite, esp bc it also has balanced out. The APA will be given to my dad for a late Father's Day gift.

It's not even close to the ES100 SQ, and I haven't even included the amazing app that you receive with the Earstudio device.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #4,835 of 6,675
If I break the connection to my phone (i.e. turning off my phone's Bluetooth radio) before powering down the ES100 it becomes completely inoperable without a reset from plugging it to a power source. Does anybody else have this issue?

It will stay on with a solid green light, will not be discoverable to reconnect to my phone, and will not power down by holding the play button for four seconds. It basically becomes a brick until I plug it to power and have it auto reboot. This isn't a killer issue as I usually do not forget to power down the ES100 through the app, but I feel like either this is a flaw or I am missing something here.
I’ve been having some issues like yours. I’ll reboot the es100 several times and won’t be able to reconnect. I’ll test out your issue and see if it’s the same as mi e.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #4,836 of 6,675

yeah just AptX. I've tried ES100 LDAC and AptX mode, I can't tell *much* difference when outside (maybe narrower soundstage). The neckband seems like a convenient option. If it can sound nice like ES100, which to my opinion is as close as wired as it gets, then I don't mind missing out on the app and 2.5mm.

Side Note: What if Radsone applies the same magic to a True Wireless adapter or neckband? I'd buy those in a heartbeat :) :) :)

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,837 of 6,675
Occasionally (once or twice a month) I run into a case where my ES100 locks up and needs to be reset by plugging it into power. However I've had no problem with breaking the phone connection. With the ES100 powered on and connected, it doesn't lock up when off the phone's Bluetooth. I can turn Bluetooth back on, reconnect and do it again with no issues.

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #4,838 of 6,675

I lost my Samsung S7 Edge to the bottom of the sea :frowning2:

So I'm using my old S5 Neo. It only supports android 7, so I'm back to APTX. Honestly, it sounds fine/good to me. But my sub-conscious is telling me that I need LDAC back in my life, so the search for a new phone is on lol.

OT: the camera on the S7 Edge was really good (way better than on the S5 Neo), so that's another reason I need a new phone.

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #4,839 of 6,675
So I got my second ES100. (Here I wrote about what happened to the first one).
It seems that, despite the first class sound and app, they lack in the department of hardware quality control. This brand-new unit has a led light that is so faint that only at night can be seen. Maybe the paint coating is thicker, maybe the led is less powerful... I already removed the clip :)
If they don't come with an updated ES and this it will break in several months than I'll have to look for BTR3. Sadly.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #4,840 of 6,675
Occasionally (once or twice a month) I run into a case where my ES100 locks up and needs to be reset by plugging it into power. However I've had no problem with breaking the phone connection. With the ES100 powered on and connected, it doesn't lock up when off the phone's Bluetooth. I can turn Bluetooth back on, reconnect and do it again with no issues.

I've figured it out. I've had the short USB cable attached to the ES100 at all times to give it more visibility and make it harder to lose visually amongst a pile of clutter (need to get a lanyard for this thing). Apparently leaving a USB cable plugged up and breaking off the connection will cause the issue I complained about and leave it with a solid green light (the indicator for device having full battery when on the charger according to the manual).

Jun 22, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #4,841 of 6,675
I’ve been having some issues like yours. I’ll reboot the es100 several times and won’t be able to reconnect. I’ll test out your issue and see if it’s the same as mi e.
i was having issues like this as well. the only thing that seemed to help was forgetting all the bluetooth connections related to the ES100 and connecting it to 1 device only. i havent tried pairing it to any other sources since and its fine.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,842 of 6,675
For anybody who has used this to listen to music for hours on end in a short period of time, how much playback time are you getting? Their Web site claims 14 hours of playback, and while I haven't tested it, from the little I've paid attention to the battery percentage indicator I don't feel like I'd get even half of that. Maybe it depends on the codec you're using and the quality/size of files you're transmitting and 14 hours is absolutely best case scenario?

If I'm being honest it feels like I have a device that has been sitting around for a couple years with a degraded battery, but I could be off base here.

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #4,843 of 6,675
For anybody who has used this to listen to music for hours on end in a short period of time, how much playback time are you getting? Their Web site claims 14 hours of playback, and while I haven't tested it, from the little I've paid attention to the battery percentage indicator I don't feel like I'd get even half of that. Maybe it depends on the codec you're using and the quality/size of files you're transmitting and 14 hours is absolutely best case scenario?

If I'm being honest it feels like I have a device that has been sitting around for a couple years with a degraded battery, but I could be off base here.

I'm using 2x current on the 3.5mm non-balanced with LDAC and 2x FFT oversampling, relatively new set. I think I'm getting 6 to 8 hours per charge driving a 16ohm 116db headphone on 50-65% analogue volume.

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4,844 of 6,675
Somehow got LDAC to work on 990 Kbps without a hitch for like two hours straight last night, I couldn't believe it. I've never been able to use it without at least intermittent stuttering. Still have to turn GPS off, as strange as that is, but whatever.

LDAC 990 is absolutely euphoric though. I was already amazed at how good music sounds through LDAC adaptive or 660 Kbps, but 990 changes the game even further I think. I'm pretty sure music sounds better through this with my phone than it does though my FiiO E10K wired to my PC (an entry level option, but still). I pray that 990 Kbps will work consistently going forward because it is magnificent.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #4,845 of 6,675
Somehow got LDAC to work on 990 Kbps without a hitch for like two hours straight last night, I couldn't believe it. I've never been able to use it without at least intermittent stuttering. Still have to turn GPS off, as strange as that is, but whatever.

LDAC 990 is absolutely euphoric though. I was already amazed at how good music sounds through LDAC adaptive or 660 Kbps, but 990 changes the game even further I think. I'm pretty sure music sounds better through this with my phone than it does though my FiiO E10K wired to my PC (an entry level option, but still). I pray that 990 Kbps will work consistently going forward because it is magnificent.
I leave it on adaptive as having to go into Developer options to change it is a pain and I have never even noticed a difference in quality anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back