Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #4,111 of 6,675
Yep good idea

I had it on a very warm radiator for a while.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #4,114 of 6,675
Using rice to dry electronics is an urban myth. Rice at room temperature absorbs very little water.

Haha yeah I know, I actually have a box of the silica gel moisture absorbers for emergency use. The definitely do the trick.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #4,116 of 6,675
Going back to my USB issue... I have this idea of making a data-only USB cable, plugging that in from my PC to a powered USB hub, and then plugging my ES100 into the powered hub to use as a DAC. This way, 5v from the PC never touches the USB hub, or the ES100 for that matter. Does anyone see any immediate issues with this? I think I'm going to try it after work tonight.

Something like this:

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Data-Only-USB-Type-B/

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #4,117 of 6,675
Going back to my USB issue... I have this idea of making a data-only USB cable, plugging that in from my PC to a powered USB hub, and then plugging my ES100 into the powered hub to use as a DAC. This way, 5v from the PC never touches the USB hub, or the ES100 for that matter. Does anyone see any immediate issues with this? I think I'm going to try it after work tonight.

Something like this:

That's doable, though I recall these being manufactured for use with external hard drives. How about this one for $8.39? You could leave the red one hanging, and you wouldn't need to hack the shield on the data side.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Cable-External-Drive-Micro/dp/B0047AALS0

USB2HAUBY3.main.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,118 of 6,675
That's doable, though I recall these being manufactured for use with external hard drives. How about this one for $8.39? Too short at the Y?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Cable-External-Drive-Micro/dp/B0047AALS0

No, not at all. I've never seen these before. So the black Type A plug is data only, and the red Type A plug is only for power? So I would just use this cable from the PC to the hub, using only the black Type A plug right? The red Type A plug would go unused.

EDIT: It appears that both black and red ports supply voltage to the micro usb end, so I don't think this would work for what I want to do with it.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #4,119 of 6,675
No, not at all. I've never seen these before. So the black Type A plug is data only, and the red Type A plug is only for power? So I would just use this cable from the PC to the hub, using only the black Type A plug right? The red Type A plug would go unused.
I think so. I have a couple of similar ones in mini-B and A. The shield only connects to data side (you can test continuity easily there), and the power pins only connect to the power side. The thicker cable is usually the data side. The Star Tech is conveniently color-coded, which is an improvement.
And yes, just leave red hanging.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,120 of 6,675
I think so. I have a couple of similar ones in mini-B and A. The shield only connects to data side (you can test continuity easily there), and the power pins only connect to the power side. The thicker cable is usually the data side. The Star Tech is conveniently color-coded, which is an improvement.
And yes, just leave red hanging.

I made an edit to my post just now. I think both plugs have power at the same time. The cable gets its extra current from both ports on the PC, if your usb port isn't capable of outputting enough current for, say, a mechanical hard drive.

I'm not sure that will work for what I want to do.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #4,122 of 6,675
I made an edit to my post just now. I think both plugs have power at the same time. The cable gets its extra current from both ports on the PC, if your usb port isn't capable of outputting enough current for, say, a mechanical hard drive.

I'm not sure that will work for what I want to do.
Aha, I think you're right. Hack away! Pre-made alternatives are about $20.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,123 of 6,675

Something like this:

I've made data only usb cables by taking a small piece of Kapton tape, and putting it on the +5V contact of the USB cable.
I did it at the PC end of the cable. Easier to me than the approach in the link.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #4,124 of 6,675
I've made data only usb cables by taking a small piece of Kapton tape, and putting it on the +5V contact of the USB cable.
I did it at the PC end of the cable. Easier to me than the approach in the link.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, what did you need a data-only usb cable for?

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #4,125 of 6,675
Just picked this thing up from Amazon and really impressed! It's much smaller than I thought it was going to be, which is good, and the build is also solid. I'm streaming via LDAC using my s8 (Spotify 320 kbps) using my 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear. Let me just say, it sounds better over LDAC/ES100 than connected via 3.5 mm directly to the s8.

Going to try these out with my HD 600 and see how those fare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back