Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2,657 of 6,675
Lol I guess I did, I'm still not getting rid of it though. I've been eying up the new iBasso dx120 but I don't have golden ears either and I'm pretty content with the ES100s clean energetic signature and portability for now.

Yup. For many of us, the ES100 is good enough to use instead of much more expense gear. And instead of feeling like we are making big sacrifices, we are instead rather content with how good the ES100 sounds.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,659 of 6,675
Ok so how about this: ES100 vs. the Zuperdac, which one sounded better to you?

Good question. Someone like @peter123 with better ears than me would be better to ask. But I wanted to do some testing for my own edification.

Main parameters:

Use the below excellent Pineapple Thief tune in FLAC (16/44100):

Comparison 1: Samsung S7, Zuperdac as USB DAC vs ES100 in BT mode (LDAC)
- Samsung S7
- UAPP (Usb Audio Player Pro)
- no EQ or other skullduggery
- headphones: Nighthawks
- Zuperdac: sounds damn good. I forgot how good it sounds.
- ES100: sounds excellent as well
- I'll give the edge to the Zuperdac in USB DAC mode. I think I'm hearing a bit better separation, depth, and bass/drum impact.

Comparison 2:
- same as above, but with 1More Triple Driver Over Ear (H1707) headphones
- too close to call - they both sound awesome

Comparison 3: Samsung S7, Zuperdac as USB DAC vs ES100 as USB DAC
- I couldn't get this working, but maybe try again later (but, I would never do this anyway, so I don't really care).

Comparison 4: Laptop (windows 7), Zuperdac as USB vs ES100 as USB DAC
- windows 7
- foobar 2000, using "laidback" configuration
- for ES100, need to convert to 48KHZ (looking forward to the firmware upgrade!)
- headphones: Nighthawks and 1More H1707's
- the edge goes to the ES100. More dynamic, clarity & extension.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #2,660 of 6,675
IMG_6046.jpg
I haven't had a lot of time with the BTR3 yet and although I do like it, the ES100 beats it in most ways because of the options for single and balanced outputs and just the app in general. As far as audio quality I've only tried out AAC from my iPhone with Spotify on my Andromedas and there is a difference. I think the bass sounds cleaner and tighter on the ES100 but considering the Andromedas can be picky, its hard to tell whats at fault there.

If Fiio were to release an app as good as the ES100 then they'd be looking at some real competition considering the build quality of the BTR3 and the lower price point. I understand the inherit differences between a company like Fiio and Radsone making a similar device but the BTR3 is very nicely designed with a metal and glass build that feels solid and svelte in the hands. The buttons while fewer are easier to find and press. I prefer having the separate toggles switches for volume and next/prev but I'd really like individual arrow buttons for next/prev while keeping a toggle for volume. I also really like having USB C on the BTR3 as well as the jack located on the bottom next to it.

I'm still very loyal to my ES100 and have really followed and appreciated the growth of the device in its software here on headfi. I just wanted to have a backup device for other things while seeing what the competition is doing so I could get a better understanding of what the ES100 could be by the end and it was easy to pick up for the price. In fact the one thing that could really hurt the ES100 is the day one pricing of the BTR3 that is lower than the cost of the ES100 on sale.

It would probably be more difficult for a company like Radsone to make an all metal/glass build like Fiio opted for but it is one of the standout features of the BTR3 in comparison for me not looking at the audio because they support nearly all of the same audio codecs. In the end it is whats inside that matters here and even though I much prefer the design and construction of the BTR3, the ES100 is leaps ahead in progress from the optional outputs, the app, and their ability to work with and support the community here.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #2,661 of 6,675
I haven't had a lot of time with the BTR3 yet and although I do like it, the ES100 beats it in most ways because of the options for single and balanced outputs and just the app in general. As far as audio quality I've only tried out AAC from my iPhone with Spotify on my Andromedas and there is a difference. I think the bass sounds cleaner and tighter on the ES100 but considering the Andromedas can be picky, its hard to tell whats at fault there.

If Fiio were to release an app as good as the ES100 then they'd be looking at some real competition considering the build quality of the BTR3 and the lower price point. I understand the inherit differences between a company like Fiio and Radsone making a similar device but the BTR3 is very nicely designed with a metal and glass build that feels solid and svelte in the hands. The buttons while fewer are easier to find and press. I prefer having the separate toggles switches for volume and next/prev but I'd really like individual arrow buttons for next/prev while keeping a toggle for volume. I also really like having USB C on the BTR3 as well as the jack located on the bottom next to it.

I'm still very loyal to my ES100 and have really followed and appreciated the growth of the device in its software here on headfi. I just wanted to have a backup device for other things while seeing what the competition is doing so I could get a better understanding of what the ES100 could be by the end and it was easy to pick up for the price. In fact the one thing that could really hurt the ES100 is the day one pricing of the BTR3 that is lower than the cost of the ES100 on sale.

It would probably be more difficult for a company like Radsone to make an all metal/glass build like Fiio opted for but it is one of the standout features of the BTR3 in comparison for me not looking at the audio because they support nearly all of the same audio codecs. In the end it is whats inside that matters here and even though I much prefer the design and construction of the BTR3, the ES100 is leaps ahead in progress from the optional outputs, the app, and their ability to work with and support the community here.

Thanks. The dealbreaker with the BTR3 for a lot of people will be the battery life. Let us know how the battery life is for you.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #2,662 of 6,675
Good question. Someone like @peter123 with better ears than me would be better to ask. But I wanted to do some testing for my own edification.

Main parameters:

Use the below excellent Pineapple Thief tune in FLAC (16/44100):

Comparison 1: Samsung S7, Zuperdac as USB DAC vs ES100 in BT mode (LDAC)
- Samsung S7
- UAPP (Usb Audio Player Pro)
- no EQ or other skullduggery
- headphones: Nighthawks
- Zuperdac: sounds damn good. I forgot how good it sounds.
- ES100: sounds excellent as well
- I'll give the edge to the Zuperdac in USB DAC mode. I think I'm hearing a bit better separation, depth, and bass/drum impact.

Comparison 2:
- same as above, but with 1More Triple Driver Over Ear (H1707) headphones
- too close to call - they both sound awesome

Comparison 3: Samsung S7, Zuperdac as USB DAC vs ES100 as USB DAC
- I couldn't get this working, but maybe try again later (but, I would never do this anyway, so I don't really care).

Comparison 4: Laptop (windows 7), Zuperdac as USB vs ES100 as USB DAC
- windows 7
- foobar 2000, using "laidback" configuration
- for ES100, need to convert to 48KHZ (looking forward to the firmware upgrade!)
- headphones: Nighthawks and 1More H1707's
- the edge goes to the ES100. More dynamic, clarity & extension.

Interesting wayne! So sounds like Zuperdac was better vs. ES100 when ES100 was in LDAC BT, but when completely wired, the ES100 is better. Ok. Some have said even in LDAC BT the ES100 outdoes like the $200 DFR and Sabaj Da2 (one even said Da3 too). I think in the end I'm gonna have to compare the Da3 to the ES100 to see who is better, whenever that time comes (I'm still fine with my LG V30 and it's Quad DAC and super insane strong amp lol).

I know from checking out the app that you can enable the single or double. It's interesting to note that both the Zuperdac and the ES100 have the same ES9018K2M DAC(s), but the Zuperdac only has one. Its advantage though (at least in your trials) was that it's utilizing a fully wired setup.

One question, did you enable the Dual DAC mode on the ES100 via the Radsone app?

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #2,663 of 6,675
Interesting wayne! So sounds like Zuperdac was better vs. ES100 when ES100 was in LDAC BT,

With the Nighthawks I thought so, but with the 1more's I couldn't decide. And who knows - maybe if I was to do that test again, I'd hear it differently. Such are my ears lol.

I know from checking out the app that you can enable the single or double. It's interesting to note that both the Zuperdac and the ES100 have the same ES9018K2M DAC(s), but the Zuperdac only has one. Its advantage though (at least in your trials) was that it's utilizing a fully wired setup.

The ES100 has AK4375a DACs.

One question, did you enable the Dual DAC mode on the ES100 via the Radsone app?

Let's see.. dual (forgot to check)

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #2,664 of 6,675
With the Nighthawks I thought so, but with the 1more's I couldn't decide. And who knows - maybe if I was to do that test again, I'd hear it differently. Such are my ears lol.

The ES100 has AK4375a DACs.

Let's see.. dual (forgot to check)

Umm ok. lol So not sure then it seems on which is better.

Oh yes it does have AK4375a. I dunno where I saw different when I checked.

Ok dial confirmed? Ok. Thx.

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #2,665 of 6,675
Thanks. The dealbreaker with the BTR3 for a lot of people will be the battery life. Let us know how the battery life is for you.
I haven't used a full power cycle yet but I believe I remember seeing that the 11 hours quoted by Fiio came from using AAC which I have been using so far. I can't imagine getting 11 hours considering how much I've used it so far and how much battery I have left according to my iPhone. Off hand I would estimate 8-9 hours which is still ok to me but this device desperately needs an app.

I'd really like to see the ES100 with an aluminum build and better buttons.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #2,667 of 6,675
I think the lack of a balanced output is the deal-breaker for me. I know Fiio has said they're working on it for a future product, but I wish they'd hurry up. I have the uBTR and I'm not sure the BTR3 is a major leap forward.

I'll second the call for better buttons on the ES100. I hate how small the power button is and how close it is to the balanced out. Really poor design.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #2,670 of 6,675
On the home screen, tap on Output. I believe dual mode is the default setting.

It's not dual DAC mode but DualDrive Technology.

This is always on. However the current can be set to 1x and 2x which does increase the available peak voltage, as far as I understand this.

Hence the remark on the setting:
Both 2.5mm 1x voltage and 2.5mm 2x voltage would provide the same performance. The only difference is the voltage limit.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back