Radsone EarStudio ES100
Aug 24, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #2,283 of 6,675
Can the sound quality of unbalanced ES100 be considered same as that of BTR1?

Add: For a medium impedance headphone (50-60 ohm).

Way better. I had the BTR1 and thought it sounded great. I lost it and then got the ES100. It sounds better via APTX, and much better once LDAC is used. That's just the sound. Add to that the much better battery life, the awesome app and support, the potential for balanced, and well, you get where I'm going.

Fwiw, some things I liked about the BTR1 was the premium feeling physical body, the strength of the clip, and the power button. But the other benefits of the ES100 far outweigh.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,284 of 6,675
Way better. I had the BTR1 and thought it sounded great. I lost it and then got the ES100. It sounds better via APTX, and much better once LDAC is used. That's just the sound. Add to that the much better battery life, the awesome app and support, the potential for balanced, and well, you get where I'm going.

Fwiw, some things I liked about the BTR1 was the premium feeling physical body, the strength of the clip, and the power button. But the other benefits of the ES100 far outweigh.
Are you talking about unbalanced output of ES100? I heard that the real advantage of ES100 is its balanced output that uses dual ICs and the unbalanced output is rather mild in comparison, which is why I asked.
Then I guess that the BTR3 wont be better (in terms of sound) than BTR1 because they have the same DACs?

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2,285 of 6,675
I just sold my fiio x5iii after i got this es100. Is it just me or this es100 sounds better than x5iii?

Quite satisfied with this setup. I might buy a xdp-300r dap for my home desk though.
It sounds better than the X5iii alone. one of the big "problem" with my fiio is the amp, so i feed a Fiio A5, and then this rig sounds quite better than my ES100. that makes the fiio absolutely astounding in dac sound and the ES100 excelent in dac+amp. Thats becouse to my ears the X5iii sounds darky or muddy vs the ES100, and the A5 is a beautiful natural amp with tons of raw power.
Thats why i keep my not that portable X5iii+A5 and my ES100 for the go (as i also need the mic for calls)

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #2,286 of 6,675
Good points. Thanks for sharing these. My budget for a DAP right now is only around $600 and a friend recommended the 300r though i havent made a thorough research about the product.

For this budget what can you recommend that I can use as an all rounder? The ES100 made me switch to streaming completely but i would like to have an option for flac files as well in the future.

Thanks again
I feed my S8 with only flac music (cd rips or even better, master studio releases in digital or vinyl rips) so you could keep the ES100 with a great iem in that budget

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #2,287 of 6,675
It sounds better than the X5iii alone. one of the big "problem" with my fiio is the amp, so i feed a Fiio A5, and then this rig sounds quite better than my ES100. that makes the fiio absolutely astounding in dac sound and the ES100 excelent in dac+amp. Thats becouse to my ears the X5iii sounds darky or muddy vs the ES100, and the A5 is a beautiful natural amp with tons of raw power.
Thats why i keep my not that portable X5iii+A5 and my ES100 for the go (as i also need the mic for calls)

now have you try the ES100 with the A5? try put it on full volume to simulate line level output and compare it to the X5iii+A5 combo

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,288 of 6,675
Are you talking about unbalanced output of ES100? I heard that the real advantage of ES100 is its balanced output that uses dual ICs and the unbalanced output is rather mild in comparison, which is why I asked.
Then I guess that the BTR3 wont be better (in terms of sound) than BTR1 because they have the same DACs?
If i feed my F9 via balanced or unbalanced, the sound signature doesent change, its only a liitle more "spacious" and also a little bit more meaty when the lows are played

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,289 of 6,675
now have you try the ES100 with the A5? try put it on full volume to simulate line level output and compare it to the X5iii+A5 combo
See what you r doing here. ill give a try on that. do you have a volume recomendation? I feel that the max volume is to much to no clip the A5?
I could test in unbalanced the F9 and a M&H MH40

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2,290 of 6,675
Sorry yes, the S8 is dual sim so has only the built in memory for storage documents & photos almost fill it, so the dap is for music duty. One day I'm gong to get round to the acetone trick to disolve the chip off one sim so I can fit 400gb in the phone and still be dual sim :smiling_imp:
Have you tried the dual audio Bluetooth mode on that phone at all with the ES100?
Does that affect dropouts or signal in any way?

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #2,291 of 6,675
See what you r doing here. ill give a try on that. do you have a volume recomendation? I feel that the max volume is to much to no clip the A5?
I could test in unbalanced the F9 and a M&H MH40

i never owned the A5, but used to own older fiio amps, and i always feed line level volume to their input and they will never clip. just test the line out of your X5iii into the A5, check the volume from your A5 to your earphones, then swap the X5iii with the ES100 and match that using the ES100's volume

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #2,294 of 6,675
dJfBqOt.jpg

Bananced (Oidio cable) Shure SE846, HiBy R3, Samsung S8 (twin sim hence using R3 400gb card) sounds great and I can answer the phone, which pleases the office as my ring tone is Metallica :ksc75smile:
Cable looks quite thin for SE846. I have a feeling you have tripled your output impedance with it and brought damping factor 3x below recommended. Did you measured resistance of it? Stock Shure cable is < 0.08 Ohm. That one looks like 1.0 ohm.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #2,295 of 6,675
Have you tried the dual audio Bluetooth mode on that phone at all with the ES100?
Does that affect dropouts or signal in any way?
Dual audio works fine and is very robust, though it will only work at lower rates ie SBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back