Radsone EarStudio ES100
Aug 25, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #2,296 of 6,675
Cable looks quite thin for SE846. I have a feeling you have tripled your output impedance with it and brought damping factor 3x below recommended. Did you measured resistance of it? Stock Shure cable is < 0.08 Ohm. That one looks like 1.0 ohm.
The impedance and diameter are quoted as the same, the shaething is thinner making it more supple. But I agree with your theory upon resistance and amp perfomance.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,298 of 6,675
Amazon UK have this at £10 off this weekend. Combined with a CC offer they also have, I saved £30. Too good to pass up. Should be here late next week. Hope it's good. £59.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,299 of 6,675
Amazon UK have this at £10 off this weekend. Combined with a CC offer they also have, I saved £30. Too good to pass up. Should be here late next week. Hope it's good. £59.
Great deal and welcome to the fam!

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,300 of 6,675
Are you talking about unbalanced output of ES100? I heard that the real advantage of ES100 is its balanced output that uses dual ICs and the unbalanced output is rather mild in comparison, which is why I asked.

Unbalanced.

Then I guess that the BTR3 wont be better (in terms of sound) than BTR1 because they have the same DACs?

I can't say. Implementation is very important as well.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,301 of 6,675
What settings do folk recommend for things like filter, dct, crossfeed, etc? I'll be connecting to iPhone over AAC and outputting to Noble K10u. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #2,302 of 6,675
Yes, the ES100 has significantly better sound quality than the BTR1. I find that the BTR1 has a bass boost and that bass is a little loose. The ES100 is leaner but it has EQ in the app that lets you tailor the bass how you like it. It's also more transparent and the highs are cleaner and extend more.

I now use my BTR1 as my car's bluetooth, where it works well in terms of connectivity and function, but my cars audio is not the best anyways.

Way better. I had the BTR1 and thought it sounded great. I lost it and then got the ES100. It sounds better via APTX, and much better once LDAC is used. That's just the sound. Add to that the much better battery life, the awesome app and support, the potential for balanced, and well, you get where I'm going.

Fwiw, some things I liked about the BTR1 was the premium feeling physical body, the strength of the clip, and the power button. But the other benefits of the ES100 far outweigh.
Can the sound quality of unbalanced ES100 be considered same as that of BTR1?

Add: For a medium impedance headphone (50-60 ohm).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,303 of 6,675
Well that was a surprise. Chose Amazon free shipping due Thu, arrived today. Only ordered yesterday eve!

It's tiny.

3178hp3.jpg

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,304 of 6,675
I can't help wondering what unbalanced output is, I've only ever learned about single ended and balanced outputs :wink:

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #2,305 of 6,675
Good points. Thanks for sharing these. My budget for a DAP right now is only around $600 and a friend recommended the 300r though i havent made a thorough research about the product.

For this budget what can you recommend that I can use as an all rounder? The ES100 made me switch to streaming completely but i would like to have an option for flac files as well in the future.

Thanks again
Sorry I didn’t reply earlier - I do have an audiophile alibi though as I spent Friday afternoon auditioning DAC/amps :k701smile:

I was just checking the Xdp-300r’s specs and it is definitely a device I would argue against as a home / desktop device. It doesn’t work as an external DAC fed by a computer, and it’s not powerful at all, even balanced out.

Are you sure you need a DAP if it’s for sedentary use? Another idea would be to just get a great DAC/amp, either a stack or a combined unit. $600 gets you the Ifi micro iDSD BL or the Mojo, both of which will destroy comparably-priced DAPs (and a lot of comparably-priced full-size gear).

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,306 of 6,675
Sorry I didn’t reply earlier - I do have an audiophile alibi though as I spent Friday afternoon auditioning DAC/amps :k701smile:

I was just checking the Xdp-300r’s specs and it is definitely a device I would argue against as a home / desktop device. It doesn’t work as an external DAC fed by a computer, and it’s not powerful at all, even balanced out.

Are you sure you need a DAP if it’s for sedentary use? Another idea would be to just get a great DAC/amp, either a stack or a combined unit. $600 gets you the Ifi micro iDSD BL or the Mojo, both of which will destroy comparably-priced DAPs (and a lot of comparably-priced full-size gear).
Es100 sounds better and more detailed than Mojo so strike that out :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,308 of 6,675
I'm running DCT off, short delay sharp roll off, HD Jitter cleaner on, 2x over sample. Any thing better for AAC from IPhone? Regular sharp roll off sounds a bit crisper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back