Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #931 of 6,675
In the app there is a ? button that gives you some small explanation about the different filters.

The explanations in the app are pretty much just fluff.

The slow roll-off filters cause aliasing, which means additional tones that aren't supposed to be there. You don't want to use either of the slow roll-off filters for maximum fidelity.

The short delay filters are minimum phase filters, which reduce latency at the expense of shifting the phase relationships of higher frequencies. Whether this is audible is debatable.

The symmetric filters are linear phase filters, which preserve the phase relationships at the expense of a slight increase in latency. I use the symmetric sharp roll-off filter as it is the one that preserves the original signal to the fullest extent.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #938 of 6,675
The explanations in the app are pretty much just fluff.

The slow roll-off filters cause aliasing, which means additional tones that aren't supposed to be there. You don't want to use either of the slow roll-off filters for maximum fidelity.

The short delay filters are minimum phase filters, which reduce latency at the expense of shifting the phase relationships of higher frequencies. Whether this is audible is debatable.

The symmetric filters are linear phase filters, which preserve the phase relationships at the expense of a slight increase in latency. I use the symmetric sharp roll-off filter as it is the one that preserves the original signal to the fullest extent.

Ah, but the sharp filters have a longer impulse response, and therefore more of the input signal is used to generate each output sample, which may cause pre-echoes when a sharp attack occurs in the input (e.g. percussion or plucked strings). The slow roll-off filters have a shorter impulse response, and therefore suffer less from pre-echoes, at the expense of not filtering out aliasing as well. I chose to address the aliasing issues caused by the slow filter by increasing oversampling, which pushes the aliases to higher frequencies which are still filtered out by the slow filter (at least, I hope so).

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #939 of 6,675
@wslee: could we possibly have a feature to have the device not reboot or power on when the usb cable is plugged in? it's annoying that when I plug it in to charge at night it immediately connects to my iphone, meaning that any alerts then sound through the earstudio rather than the phone unless i manually disconnect it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #940 of 6,675
Ah, but the sharp filters have a longer impulse response, and therefore more of the input signal is used to generate each output sample, which may cause pre-echoes when a sharp attack occurs in the input (e.g. percussion or plucked strings). The slow roll-off filters have a shorter impulse response, and therefore suffer less from pre-echoes, at the expense of not filtering out aliasing as well. I chose to address the aliasing issues caused by the slow filter by increasing oversampling, which pushes the aliases to higher frequencies which are still filtered out by the slow filter (at least, I hope so).
That doesn't help - aliasing is very strong and audible. Especially in combination with APTX generated noise. I posted measurements above about it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #941 of 6,675
@wslee: could we possibly have a feature to have the device not reboot or power on when the usb cable is plugged in? it's annoying that when I plug it in to charge at night it immediately connects to my iphone, meaning that any alerts then sound through the earstudio rather than the phone unless i manually disconnect it.

Ugh. I was seriously considering picking one up, but this is a deal-breaker.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #942 of 6,675
Ugh. I was seriously considering picking one up, but this is a deal-breaker.

Really? This thing is amazing for the price and what it does. I can't remember being this happy with a technology purchase in years. This issue is a very minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, it would be nice if it could be solved with a firmware update though.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #943 of 6,675
Really? This thing is amazing for the price and what it does. I can't remember being this happy with a technology purchase in years. This issue is a very minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, it would be nice if it could be solved with a firmware update though.

Unfortunately, I need to have phone alerts active all the time and cannot afford to have missed calls/messages because of this inconvenience. I agree, the device is great otherwise, but automatically turning on when plugged in to charge is unacceptable for me.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #944 of 6,675
It's just to turn the ES100 off after putting it on charge. Although it's a bit irritating and unnecessary I certainly wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #945 of 6,675
Unfortunately, I need to have phone alerts active all the time and cannot afford to have missed calls/messages because of this inconvenience. I agree, the device is great otherwise, but automatically turning on when plugged in to charge is unacceptable for me.
Yeah I also wouldn't call this a deal breaker. It is annoying for sure but just as you need to make sure you turn your phone off of silent to be assured you will get your notifications, you just need to either turn off your bluetooth or disconnect it from the ES100.

I use the ES100 with my CFA Andromedas about 4-6 hours per day at work and it is just great that I can get such good wireless music while I work. Don't let this be a deal breaker, its a great device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back