Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 20, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,201 of 6,675
May 20, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,203 of 6,675
I know.

Again, numbers without real-world listening tests don’t mean much to me. If I can’t hear the difference between AAC over bluetooth and lossless over a cable I really struggle to imagine how any of Qualcomm’s codecs could be an improvement.

Well, the psycho-acoustic algorithms used for lossy codec are pretty good, as long as the transmission bit-rate is high enough.
There are probably certain types of sound / music, which could be considered "corner cases", that may be more likely to produce audible differences between lossless and lossy codecs for music tracks.

Is your music stored as AAC files on your phone/DAP, which then uses the same AAC codec for the Bluetooth transmission to your earphones?
Do the music files get passed-through (as already AAC encoded), or re-encoded, before being transmitted?

May 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,204 of 6,675
Well, the psycho-acoustic algorithms used for lossy codec are pretty good, as long as the transmission bit-rate is high enough.
There are probably certain types of sound / music, which could be considered "corner cases", that may be more likely to produce audible differences between lossless and lossy codecs for music tracks.

Is your music stored as AAC files on your phone/DAP, which then uses the same AAC codec for the Bluetooth transmission to your earphones?
Do the music files get passed-through (as already AAC encoded), or re-encoded, before being transmitted?

They are AAC yes, knowing Apple I’d assume the former but I don’t really know (or care).

May 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,205 of 6,675
May 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,206 of 6,675
That's pure speculation, and not their business focus.
I agree with this statement: "Apple’s audio strategy doesn't rely on high-end codecs or trends like Hi-Res audio, instead premium branding and instant pairing are the key selling points."

Yup, they don’t waste time on things that don’t really matter. AAC is transparent, sound quality box ticked. No chance they are going through the enormous engineering effort it would take to switch itunes over to supporting lossless files and deal with all the side issues that come up as a result just to pander to a small number of audiophiles who think they can hear a difference that most people can’t hear. It’s just not how they roll, they are smarter than that.

May 20, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,207 of 6,675
Yup, they don’t waste time on things that don’t really matter. AAC is transparent, sound quality box ticked. No chance they are going through the enormous engineering effort it would take to switch itunes over to supporting lossless files and deal with all the side issues that come up as a result just to pander to a small number of audiophiles who think they can hear a difference that most people can’t hear. It’s just not how they roll, they are smarter than that.

Are you in this thread, because you have, and like the Radsone ES100 BT Receiver/Amp - or to discuss apt-X vs. AAC codecs?

May 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #1,209 of 6,675
IMHO, The ES100 is the best sounding APTX receiver (of the 4) that I own. But with APTX-HD the treble is a bit cleaner, making it very close to wired sound. With APTX-HD is where the ES100 really shines.
In all cases I'm using minimum 16/44 flac source files... Have not tested AAC as don't know how to send AAC over bluetooth with a Windows PC or an Android Phone...
It's my understanding that most newer Android phones will have ability to send APTX-HD and LDAC when they get Android 8. So hopefully most Android folks should be able to enjoy APTX-HD on their ES100's soon.

May 20, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,210 of 6,675
IMHO, The ES100 is the best sounding APTX receiver (of the 4) that I own. But with APTX-HD the treble is a bit cleaner, making it very close to wired sound. With APTX-HD is where the ES100 really shines.
In all cases I'm using minimum 16/44 flac source files... Have not tested AAC as don't know how to send AAC over bluetooth with a Windows PC or an Android Phone...
It's my understanding that most newer Android phones will have ability to send APTX-HD and LDAC when they get Android 8. So hopefully most Android folks should be able to enjoy APTX-HD on their ES100's soon.

my android phone (essential ph-1) can send in all 5 codecs - SBC, AptX, AptX HD, AAC and LDAC. I have it set to use AptX HD though. I dont have an LDAC device to play with, but may try out AAC and see what all this fuss is about. I doubt i'll hear any difference. There is a diff from SBC to AptX to AptX HD though.

May 20, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,212 of 6,675
Are you sure? Apple do have lossless format called ALAC

May 20, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #1,213 of 6,675
A bit out of topic but my ES100 has arrived ordered from ebay. :)

246DCD81-1432-4D97-AD22-1126F69551F0.jpeg

May 21, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #1,214 of 6,675
A bit out of topic but my ES100 has arrived ordered from ebay. :)

Congrats. But that's not what is important.

What's important is, which codec are you going to be using???

:wink:

May 21, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,215 of 6,675
Congrats. But that's not what is important.

What's important is, which codec are you going to be using???

:wink:
I'm using both AAC and AptX. AAC on my iPhone X and AptX on my MacBook Pro 2017. But most of the time I use AAC even on my MacBook Pro.

Here are my first impressions.

The sound quality from iPhone is great. Fiddling with the settings in the app, locked the 2.5mm output to normal mode, DCT settings set to 5 (I will try 10 if that has an effect later) and DAC digital filter settings set to short delay sharp roll-off. Source volume set to 0db while I only change the volume in the ES100 analog volume control. IEM plugged is the Westone UMPro50 v2, sound is much clearer than AK XB10, and the bass region is much more linear. Sub bass is also a lot louder than that of the AK XB10. Good for electronic music which I listen most of the time. Midrange is lush and smooth. Treble is slightly more pronounced than wired in my iPhone, and much clearer but not in the levels of fatiguing. Listening to some classical music, the soundstage is much wider, almost as good as my FiiO X5 3rd gen. Compared to my Cozoy TAKT which is the only DAC I use on my iPhone, the ES100 is miles better.

Now connected on the MacBook Pro using Aptx, the sound signature is a bit more V-shaped, sub bass remains the same, mid bass slightly elevated and treble too is slightly elevated. Cymbals has more shine, and drums have more kick and body. But in some songs, it may sound unnatural. Switching to AAC codec gives the same impressions as my iPhone. Also, the Aptx has some weird faint aliasing in the 17.4khz region when I tried playing a WAV format test tone in both iTunes and VLC. Turning off JItter Cleaner and DCT to 0 the aliasing noise is much louder so I turned DCT and Jitter Cleaner back on. When I switched to AAC, the aliasing noise is gone. It could be a problem of AptX codec or my MacBook Pro as it happens on my AK XB10 as well. I don't have any android devices and never will be so I can't test AptX HD.

UPDATE: I tried AptX on my FiiO X5 3rd gen and it also has that weird aliasing noise, however it is very faint and almost silent. Not as bad as the AptX on my MacBook pro.

Considering the sound quality of the ES100, I might rarely use my X5.

I might stick to AAC as it sounds great to my ears. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back